News   Jul 15, 2024
 467     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 573     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Museum Station

Wow, all that and still no OneStop Communications platform video screens. The 'jail' should really be removed such to provide additional exits that'd directly link to U of T underground (Northorp Frye Hall and Flavelle House)

I think it looks pretty good. I can count on my hands the number of times I've gone through museum station, so I didn't even realize there was a "jail" there. What purpose does it serve?

The jail is usually used to store random stuff. Though I think it should be used be used as the venue for the Jim Flaherty and Hazel McCallion cage match.

The jail will be gone when the 2nd exit program makes its way to Museum Station by 2012 and opens a new exit on the south end of the station, opening up into Queens Park.

As for the OneStop screen, I think someone at the TTC needs to get on them for this.. they promised at least two screens per station.

I think it looks pretty good. I can count on my hands the number of times I've gone through museum station, so I didn't even realize there was a "jail" there. What purpose does it serve?

The explanation I heard is that shortly after the University line was opened, a woman was attacked in a "blind spot" at St. Patrick station. The area she was waiting in was not visible from anywhere on the platform or from the surveillance cameras. After that incident, the TTC filled in all the similar blind spots with storage rooms or new walls. The back area at Museum station couldn't be filled in as the ventilation system is located in the ceiling at that spot, so they just put bars up. Urban legend?

I don't understand why there are sections of the wall that were painted instead of being covered in tile.

Seeing the station for the first time, I wasn't very impressed with the color selection for the wall panels (this colour wasn't in the original design).

That and they look so unbelievably cheap, especially with the black electrical tape lettering. The station was fine the way it was and among the last that needed renovation.

All they need to do now is open another "TTC Transit Stuff" kiosk in the jail there.

And maybe you can register a Toronto Monopoly vote there, too
jail.gif

What I'm really mortified by so far, is the lighting. The rendering shows changes that have not been made, unless what we're seeing in the photographs (thanks for those, by the way) is only temporary, pending finishing of construction.

From An October 2007 Rendering:
picture1mk2.jpg

I really hope that all that utilitarian florescence is changed, and that those outworn ceiling fixtures are to be replaced, and not just reincorporated.

It appears the pillars are supposed to be spot lit too, so I hope that they were just waiting for them to be finished before putting in the new lighting and ceiling.
I hope.

Another hope is that they use the softer fluorescent lighting in the station, similar to Bessarion when it first opened. That was a huge pet peeve of mine was when they replaced the soft white fluorescent with the harsh bright white kind... it completely changed the feel and design of that station - for the worse, of course... the reds and yellows never looked the same again.

Thanks for posting the rendering again. That rendering shows the wall colour that I was expecting for Museum station, a sandy colour reminiscent of Egyptian ruins. The big 'MUSEUM' lettering should be more gold in colour, not the orange we see now.

How I wish I could use a paint bucket tool to change those colours with a click of a mouse!

The tops of the columns are not as shown in the rendering as well some of the columns themselves.

The wall colour doesn't work for me.

The electrical work is working out to be another TTC project that becomes a make work project.

5 years to wait for the Jail area to go and it not going to get change that much then as today. No reason not to update that area like the rest of the station until then other than a few more $$.

The ceiling fabrication could be taken a lot longer to do than plan for.

This is a good time for Onestop to get the video screens up, not after the ceiling is up.

That end of January-Mid Feb unveiling time frame has pass.

This is a good time for Onestop to get the video screens up, not after the ceiling is up.

i was also thinking this. once the whole station is done and the ceiling is all nice, they're going to rip it up, put in the screens and try to patch it up half assed.

Back