News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Museum Station

Painting

Well, they have a good excuse for that paint job, and you mentioned it later on in your post:

A second exit and/or elevator would take the place where the tile was painted, therefore recladding that side would have been a waste of money. The opposite side has been recladded since an exit already exists there.

Well...

My point was that they should do ALL the work at once, obviating the need for cheap paint.

Strangely enough, for those who believe that TTC subway platforms should be a simulacrum of the world above, these bare 'n' spare subway ceilings more accurately relect the actual ceilings in the ROM ( the 1914 and 1933 wings in particular ) than the ceilings shown in the renderings that everyone is all gooey about. When the 1914 galleries opened, they were Modernist, unadorned with decoration, and ahead of their time. They were renovated by Libeskind back to that state.

I wonder if there will be puddles of water on the floor near the stairs the day it opens, and if leaves and garbage will be flying around in the mezzanine.

I wonder if the dignitaries show up via public transportation.

And will Mr. Thorsell take a leaf out of Mr. Hoving's book and make the mummies dance ... all along the platform?

Strangely enough, for those who believe that TTC subway platforms should be a simulacrum of the world above, these bare 'n' spare subway ceilings more accurately relect the actual ceilings in the ROM ( the 1914 and 1933 wings in particular ) than the ceilings shown in the renderings that everyone is all gooey about. When the 1914 galleries opened, they were Modernist, unadorned with decoration, and ahead of their time. They were renovated by Libeskind back to that state.

Mmmm. Modernist ceilings.

2381775632_b60c00655b_o.jpg

I for one hope the TTC doesn't try anything like this again.

It just can't be the final ceiling. It just can't be.

It looks like a basement, or a giant utility room :(

Plus, I wonder how many people are going to trip on those terrazzo pedestals?

The station did look rather utilitarian and in need of a good sprucing up... but the ceiling looked so much more respectable and put together before:

421780429_cf14b8d076_o.jpg

And here's what the original vision was:

051129_subway_300.jpg

... and the most recent (realistic) rendering:

picture1mk2.png

The intentions were good (from the architectect at least) but you gotta admit that they were pretty unrealistic in their expectations with the budget being in the low millions.

That floor would have looked gorgeous and I would have settled for just an average ceiling but painting over the concrete and wires? WTF?

Crews were removing the old fixtures tonight as well replacing bulbs along the platforms edge.

Those wires are a mess and will be likely still there come the 8th.

The floors will see a cleaning and hope they will not do it the night before as it will need more than one. I can see the 2nd one done the night before.

Since TTC will not let anyone touch their electrical system, this is what we get at the end of the day.

The intentions were good (from the architectect at least) but you gotta admit that they were pretty unrealistic in their expectations with the budget being in the low millions.

I agree. Also, I don't think they knew how much trouble TTC was going to be and how much control they really had over the project.

Then, was the money there to do it right from day one?

Will this chase away investor from doing the other 2 stations as well others?

I wouldn't want to deal with the TTC after GIVING them something and having them prevent me from completing the project to its full potential.

The renovated ROM galleries in the 1914 and 1933 wings have whitepainted concrete ceilings and white exposed ductwork, and I haven't heard of anyone who takes a leisurely stroll through those galleries emerging shell-shocked and emotionally shattered by the experience. Museum station doesn't appear to have done their ceiling as nicely, though. Perhaps the gambit is that passengers passing through the flashy faux-ROM station that the rich rogue benefactors have sold us on will be so enamoured by faux Chewbacca and his pals they won't notice the ceilings?

And here's what the original vision was:

051129_subway_300.jpg

... and the most recent (realistic) rendering:

picture1mk2.png

That floor would have looked gorgeous and I would have settled for just an average ceiling but painting over the concrete and wires? WTF?

Even these look absolutely ridiculous.

The reality is that the station in it's previous form was already a cut above any of the proposals/renderings provided.

Even these look absolutely ridiculous.

I have to disagree. If the project came close to looking like the 2nd rendering, it would have been acceptable. But this is typical Toronto half-assed "good enough" results - how embarrassing. The monkeys running the show at the TTC need a good poaching.

Back