2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Museum Station

they're doing all this work but no elevator? :confused::confused::confused:

WTF!

why don't they leave the look of the stations alone and focus on making existing stations accessible?

Because, presumably, "they" don't see design as a problem-solving process but as the creation of visual amusements.

I have to disagree. If the project came close to looking like the 2nd rendering, it would have been acceptable. But this is typical Toronto half-assed "good enough" results - how embarrassing. The monkeys running the show at the TTC need a good poaching.

Acceptable based on what outcome?

Those renderings look terrible...like some sort of badly done theme park.

Because, presumably, "they" don't see design as a problem-solving process but as the creation of visual amusements.

in that case, they should at least paint a pretend elevator on the wall, you know, an imaginary one, like the brains between the ears of those in planning - imaginary. that way cripples can pretend they have accessibility much like the people responsible for this crap pretend they've accomplished something noble.

Even these look absolutely ridiculous.

The reality is that the station in it's previous form was already a cut above any of the proposals/renderings provided.

In your opinion yes... but I think its safe to say the majority of people who will be walking through the station will love the redesign, ugly ceiling and all.

The second render was amazing, and had the redesign stayed true to that vision, the station would have been one of the best in the entire system. The actual pillars themselves look great, as does the orange Museum sign along the walls. Had the paneling been finished all along the wall (instead of painting some sections) the walls could have been much better.

In your opinion yes... but I think its safe to say the majority of people who will be walking through the station will love the redesign, ugly ceiling and all.

The second render was amazing, and had the redesign stayed true to that vision, the station would have been one of the best in the entire system. The actual pillars themselves look great, as does the orange Museum sign along the walls. Had the paneling been finished all along the wall (instead of painting some sections) the walls could have been much better.

Just because people may like it doesn't mean it's good design.

A subway is the perfect place for some restrained sophistication. Instead we have a badly done Disney exhibit.

Just because people may like it doesn't mean it's good design.

A subway is the perfect place for some restrained sophistication. Instead we have a badly done Disney exhibit.

Again, 'good design' is all about opinion. In terms of functionality, the station is no less functional than it was before the redesign so to say it was bad design based on that would also be wrong.

Again, 'good design' is all about opinion. In terms of functionality, the station is no less functional than it was before the redesign so to say it was bad design based on that would also be wrong.

Good design isn't just a matter of opinion.

As far as fuctionality and usability are concerned, some sacrifices have been made. The station name isn't as readable as before with the colour scheme they've chosen. The pillars aren't as practical as before either. What were relatively smooth, flat surfaces that could be leaned against or used for support are now a lot more inconvenient.

Indeed. It is a given that something that is well designed goes beyond eye-candy and includes a high level of functionality, and that something that doesn't "work" is poor design. I wasn't aware that installing elevators isn't part of the process but, as Prometheus points out, that's a good example of the priorities. Adding more layering of design elements ( rogue benefactors making over a few of platforms, a few more getting makeovers by the TTC, all other platforms not getting makeovers at all ) won't improve the coherence of the TTC's brand as a whole either.

I liked the original concept so much better than the second. I'm hoping the pillars turn out better than the second rendering, that they're just trying to surprise us with amazing pillars that we never expected. But we'll find out soon enough.

I liked the original concept so much better than the second. I'm hoping the pillars turn out better than the second rendering, that they're just trying to surprise us with amazing pillars that we never expected. But we'll find out soon enough.

Sorry to disappoint you then: the sneaky spy photos that are popping up on Flickr show that the actual pillars look pretty much exactly like the latest rendering. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. They look pretty good.

The ceiling though.. ugh... talk about wearing an Armani tie with an Old Navy outfit.

Sorry to disappoint you then: the sneaky spy photos that are popping up on Flickr show that the actual pillars look pretty much exactly like the latest rendering. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. They look pretty good.

The ceiling though.. ugh... talk about wearing an Armani tie with an Old Navy outfit.

As the owner of the spy photo's, I was disappointed at what I was seeing first hand.

My view may change when "all" are exposed at once, not the 6 I saw at one times.

If some real thinking went into what being plan now for the ceiling, TTC could had obtain better fixtures than what is in place now. If TTC moved some of the conduct wiring as well painting them in another colour, the ceiling would look a lot better than it does now.

It sad the new video screens will not be in place on the 8th. It going to be late 2008 before TTC finish their work.

The average public will just view this station as another station with no speical interest.

I hope heads roll over this. It'll be interesting to see David Miller's uncomfortable face when cutting the ribbon for this. If he manages to look truly enthusiastic about this, I'll have to admit that he's a good actor.

Perhaps the gambit is that passengers passing through the flashy faux-ROM station that the rich rogue benefactors have sold us on will be so enamoured by faux Chewbacca and his pals they won't notice the ceilings?

:D I would love to see a Storm Trooper, Darth Vader, and Bounty Hunter added in. Maybe someone with blocks of styrofoam and the ability to sculpt and paint them can sneak in there some day and wrap the columns with a new temporary façade.

Back