News   May 17, 2024
 394     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 683     2 

Multiple Victims of Shooting in Scarborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
jn_12:

Gawd, all those gigabytes of nothing on Twitter. On the bright side, it's evidence for law enforcement.

AoD

I don't think there's anything there for law enforcement to do anything about. Saying something like "this means war" doesn't imply anything that can get anyone in legal trouble. Sure it might draw attention, but that's about it and I'm sure some of those people are already known to police anyways. What I took from the various comments was insight into that community. It sounds like some people you don't want to piss off are pissed off, and I don't think we would have known those details if not for some of those comments.

cd108, this isnt this the RF thread or the Scarborough subway thread. I'm talking about about a media bias when it comes to crime reporting in Scarborough and using this shooting as a prime example.

you say media bias, but what i'm saying is that everyone uses the geographic term generally.

case in point, the sheppard subway does not service all of scarborough ... only a select limited area along sheppard up to kennedy ONLY. it's convenient that his "subway plan" EXCLUDES EVERYTHING FROM MCCOWAN TO MORNINGSIDE is not clearly mentioned most of the time !

btw, nice try at deflecting the point when it's quite obvious what i was saying.

jn_12:

Actually, there is - it's useful intelligence for mapping out who is related to whom, where and how. Crumbs are ALWAYS useful.

Marko:

Yes, it would appear the victims are black. Big deal - how's that suppose to help address the issue at hand?

AoD

Marko:

Yes, it would appear the victims are black. Big deal - how's that suppose to help address the issue at hand?

AoD
I only brought it up as another example of 'deflecting'.

You can't 'help' things if you can't even discuss them factually. malvern2 is opposed to saying "Scarborough", but if police efforts and government resources are needed to help solve/prevent these sorts of crimes, should they be focusing instead on Mimico?

I keep on hearing the the cause of much of this violence is disenfranchised youth. When over 30% of them are not interested in going to school past grade 9, because they're bored, don't get it or not challenged, they'll find other things to do. A solution? Broaden the offerings of what is taught in high school. Returning to modernized versions of the tech school, business school and trade schools, would be far more beneficial to most dropouts, than having to read Shakespeare or learn French. Why not stream kids into a trade at the beginning of high school? A 2 or 3 year electrical program, with a 2 year apprenticeship, which ends with a electrician certification, for instance. Business classes in useful software. I know private post secondary schools offer these types of courses, by why not make them part of the public school curriculum?

You can't 'help' things if you can't even discuss them factually. malvern2 is opposed to saying "Scarborough", but if police efforts and government resources are needed to help solve/prevent these sorts of crimes, should they be focusing instead on Mimico?

Nice try, the media use the term Scarborough is to give someone a general idea where it happened - it is useless for anything else given the size of Scarborough. How does saying "black" lets you target resources, when it's is patently clear the diversity within THAT label?

A far more constructive take:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...-we-should-ask-about-the-scarborough-shooting

AoD

Last edited:
Latest article from the Star:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...gs-2-killed-19-hurt-in-gunfire-at-block-party

Scarborough shootings: 2 killed, 19 hurt in gunfire at block party

Liam Casey, Jessica McDiarmid, Jennifer Yang and Graham Slaughter
Staff Reporters

Phil watched the desperate mother pump her teenaged daughter’s chest as blood soaked her shirt. The teen sucked air in bursts, unable to take full breaths.

“Keep awake,†her sobbing mother said. “Keep awake.â€

Phil looked at his watch, as he waited for help to arrive. Ten minutes passed. Then 20. Then 30.

“She was sucking air,†said Phil, who did not want to give his last name. “Then she took her last two breaths, real quick, then stopped.â€

She died. So did a man in his early 20s after a Scarborough gun battle at around 10:40 p.m. Monday night that left at least 19 more — including a toddler, who is now in stable condition — wounded.

“So far we have been able to confirm that 19 people were transported from this location by ambulance to various hospitals throughout the Toronto region for treatment of gunshot wounds,†said Toronto police chief Bill Blair, speaking to reporters a few hours after the shooting on Danzig St., near Morningside Ave. and Lawrence Ave. E.

“Tonight’s event is unprecedented,†said Blair. “The level of violence is something we’ve never experienced.

“This is the worst incident of gunfire in memory.â€

The victims range in age from infancy to mid-20s, police said.

The block party — or “blocko,†as many referred to it — is an annual event organized by the community, according to Donna Almarales, 22. This year, the party featured Caribbean barbecue, jerk chicken, DJs and, according to partygoers, the promise of free Hennessey cognac, which drew people from as far away as London, Ont.

Almarales and Jade Hooper, 18, had been at the party for about 20 minutes when they heard the gunshots.

“At first we just thought it was nothing, maybe someone was just playing around,†Almarales said. “And it turned out to be bloodshed.â€

From there, it became chaos. As panic rippled through the crowd, people sprinted in every direction, many shouting the names of friends or loved ones.

“We were just looking for dead bodies,†Almarales said.

On one side of the road, Almarales spotted a girl lying on the ground. On the other side, there was a young man lying face down. He had blood on his back.

“I tried slapping him to tell him to get up,†she recalled. “He just didn’t move. He didn’t move at all.â€

But like several area residents who spoke to the Star, Almarales’s shock was overshadowed by the anger she felt about the police response. Many complained that emergency responders were slow to arrive and take control of the chaotic scene.

Almarales said that at one point, a man was trying to maneuver his car through the mob of people and transport one of the victims to safety. A police officer stopped him and beckoned him out of the car, she said.

“He was grabbing the police officer, (shouting), ‘Do something! Do something!’†she said. “And the cop was just going, ‘Everybody move, move.’ He was just in panic mode. He didn’t know what to do.â€

A man named Chris, who declined to give his last name, said paramedics and firefighters quickly jumped on the man, trying to revive him. The man was pronounced dead shortly thereafter and draped with an orange blanket, a lone black Converse sneaker uncovered.

Blair insisted to reporters that there was a quick response to the scene with ambulances arriving “within minutes.†Police officers also came from across the city, he said.

“The response was very rapid and I think was successful in getting the injured to treatment in a very speedy way,†he said.

Toronto EMS deputy chief Garrie Wright said 16 ambulances and an EMS bus were used to carry the wounded to hospital.

“Kids have guns and shouldn’t have guns,†Toronto Community Housing Corporation CEO Gene Jones said at the scene Tuesday morning.

“You guys have stringent gun laws and kids are still getting the opportunity to have guns,†said Jones, who took over TCHC on June 18 after running the public housing corporation in Detroit.

“The sad thing about this is that is my introduction to Toronto.â€

About an hour after the shooting, ambulances and police cars were still streaming to the area near Lawrence Ave. E. and Morningside Dr., a mixed neighbourhood of brick high rises, townhouses and single-family homes.

Still-panicked people crowded along the police tape that stretched for blocks, watching as paramedics treated the wounded inside the EMS bus. People screamed and sobbed into cellphones, trying to locate friends or family.

One woman, who was being comforted by friends and wouldn’t give her name, said her 17-year-old niece had been shot in the arm and was being treated on the bus.

Area resident Leighton Robinson said his nephew’s girlfriend, who is in her early 20s, was also shot in the arm. He was at home watching a movie when he received a stricken phone call from his niece, informing him of the shooting.

“Basically, it sickens me,†he said of the violence. “It never used to be this way … the new players in the game are playing it wrong.â€

Rumours also began spreading across the neighbourhood, at times igniting emotional outbursts, especially when false information circulated that the toddler wounded by gunfire had died.

Early Tuesday morning, Toronto police released a tweet urging people to stick to the facts.

“THE INFANT HAS NOT DIED!†read the tweet, by @TorontoPolice. “Non-life threatening, stable condition. Please do not report or spread rumours.â€

As police investigators began combing the scene for evidence, some residents were openly hostile and cursed at the officers. At one point, an enraged woman looking for her children berated officers and was handcuffed and placed in the back of a squad car.

Around 3 a.m., two young men walked through the police line, looking for their friend. Police took them to see the body and when they came back, one said, “That’s my boy.â€

They refused to answer further questions.

Claudia Wilson, whose 20-year-old daughter was at the party, said when she came out of their nearby home, all she saw was ambulances.

“It’s really crazy. You just don’t know what to think anymore,†said Wilson, whose daughter was sobbing nearby. Wilson said her daughter’s friend was shot in the arm at the party.

“She was dodging bullets over there,†said Wilson. “They were all in one place and all of a sudden the shots were fired. No one knows where they came from.â€

Ameena Yabe, 30, of Pickering, realized as she watched the news on TV Monday night that her cousin could be involved. The 29-year-old was shot and is in Scarborough Grace Hospital.

“It's shocking that something like this could happen,†she said.

Police said the shooting broke out after an altercation, and that more than one person was firing. One handgun was recovered nearby and police have a person of interest who was injured in the gunfire.

Police homicide, intelligence and guns and gangs units are investigating, said Blair.

Victims were taken to various hospitals, including Scarborough Hospital, St. Michael’s Hospital and Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.

There were six shootings in the 43 Division before Monday’s gunfire, Blair said.

Monday’s deaths were the city’s 27th and 28th homicides of the year.

~~~

Globe and Mail: 'Toronto's the safest city,' Mayor says after shootings kill 2, injure 21

Not sure if it was politic of the Mayor to slag off Detroit in promoting Toronto's safety record following a heinous shooting. And are we really the "safest city in North America." I would certainly believe we are one of the safer large cities, but the safest? I wonder if we are even the safest in the GTA. For example, Mississauga? Markham?

And I also wonder about the police chief's comment about this being "worst incident of gun violence in my memory, anywhere in North America." Two people killed and that's the worst he's heard of in 35 years in the force?

"Toronto's the safest city in North America," Mayor Rob Ford said Tuesday morning. "I assure you, Toronto is not like Detroit. People should come here and enjoy this great city."

The Mayor – who described the homicides as "unfortunate, isolated incidents" – toured the site with a pair of detectives, a staffer and a uniformed officer. Afterwards, he described it as a place of scattered empty cups, alcohol bottles and shell casings.

"It bothered me what I saw," he said.

Chief Blair was visibly shaken and said the violence was unprecedented in his recollection.

“I’ve been a cop for 35 years and this is the worst incident of gun violence in my memory, anywhere in North America,” he said. “I think every citizen in Toronto will be a little shaken up by what has transpired here in Scarborough tonight.”

The information in the paragraph I bolded above might lead to some explanation as to why this incident may have transpired. I wouldn't be surprised if the altercations involved people outside of this community. I really wouldn't expect a block party with area residents to culminate into a crazy free-for-all shooting unless others came by and started something with the partygoers. All in all, a very sad story to read/hear about in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back