News   May 07, 2024
 606     3 
News   May 07, 2024
 426     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 362     0 

Mosque/Community Centre near Ground Zero - your thoughts?

But Second Pie, those same instabilities have happened elsewhere, and there's no suicide bombers to any significant degree anywhere else! And it's not only suicide bombings, it's a whole branch of terrorism that can be found in isolated and extremist muslim communities regardless of their geographic location. The extremists who perpetrated the London suicide bombings were Englishmen, but they were muslim. The extremists that perpetrated the Moscow bombings were Chechen, but they were muslim. The countless Pakistanis and Iraqis and Indonesians and Saudi Arabian, bloody Chinese Uigur(!) who have nothing to do with each other and wouldn't mind going to war against each others' countries, but who would willingly commit horrendous acts of terrorism in the name of more or less the same thing, they are all muslim!
How bout Imperial Japan? The Japanese were notorious for Kamikaze warfare, and plenty of people around the world had the same view of Japan that many people see of Muslims today. But after over 90 years of peace, very few people will say that there's something built into Japanese culture that's dangerous and, in context of this thread, makes them unfit to be represented with the rest of society through their unique cultural institutions.

Also, plenty of groups targeted during the Holocaust, mainly Jews but also other groups, commonly went on suicide missions against the Nazis, some even blowing themselves up. There are plenty of other groups that committed serious atrocities against random civilian populations. Heck, we're seeing that now with the US in Pakistan and Afghanistan, with a building's full of "collateral damage" a week.

And I still find it hard to believe that there's something inherent in Islam that causes widespread terrorism. Would you like to point out the section in their teachings that does? Any point that the Muslim world is any more dangerous now can be countered by the fact that in the past, the Muslim world was ages ahead of other religions. While Christianity condemned education and endorsed insane punishments for their people, taking the word of the bible as the last word in any matter, Islamic states were building up knowledge, devoting themselves to sciences and philosophy. During the third Crusade, Saladin encountered a lone crusader abandoned in the desert. The Crusader was sure that he would be killed, but instead Saladin invited him to shelter in his home as the Crusade was waged. That turned around when the West became a dominant power and created disrupts in the Middle East.

Also, the only Muslims that are going out to places in the West and committing acts of terrorism are a very specific branch located in the Middle East. The Taliban aren't attacking Westerners abroad, and Islamic extremism in South East Asia is a minute part of the community. While, at the same time, we have criminals all over the world doing essentially the same thing for the sake of money, just a decade ago we had IRA members attacking random places in Great Britain to cause chaos and havoc, we had Quebecois doing similar things, and we had Western and Soviet spies going around murdering and causing chaos in completely unrelated countries. Now, tell me that Ireland, Quebec, the US, or Russia are all sympathizers for the damage they caused and should be punished for the damage done by these groups?

People that oppose this Mosque are almost as bad as the terrorists that were behind 9/11. By spreading around the hate, you accomplish nothing. Not to mention that causing even more grief for the international Muslim community won't do anything to stop terrorist attacks in the future. Likely, it'll incite more instances of Islamic extremism. Americans say that they'll only accept this mosque if churches can be built in Mecca. How does logic like that make this world a better place?

If someone, anyone, killed my family quoting the bible, I'd be in my damn fucking right to be disgusted by the bible for the rest of my life, and to campaign against churches if I want to while I'm at it. The church that exists now is the same church that did horrible things in the past, and I haven't seen enough murderers in the name of non-violent ideologies to believe that ANY ideology can be misinterpreted to such insane degree as religions can. The bible used to textually allow slavery and allow people to stone unfaithful women, for example, as does the Quran. Those bits might have been edited out, but their legacy is still there for some! I would argue against such a church being built next to my place. HOWEVER, my feelings wouldn't be so strong because I didn't see MASSES OF PEOPLE celebrating in the street as my family died - maybe you'll remember the images of celebration in the middle east when the towers came down?

Man, people aren't turning a blind eye to other radical groups... muslim radical groups are more radical than any other group out there, and to argue that it's for historical reasons just doesn't add up. I'm not saying that it's always been a muslim phenomenon, or that it will always be, but right now pretty much all religions and cultures have abandoned that tactic except for one.
I call you on that. And even if you'd be so ignorant to hate Christianity for the rest of your life, a majority of self-respecting people wouldn't, I assure you that.

Okay, people in the Middle East celebrated when the WTC came down. But did Americans not cheer when the Berlin Wall came down, or when they saw army engineers bring down that statue of Saddam Hussein in Baghdad? The Middle East is essentially controlled by the West; seeing one of their most important tools of control go down in flames might bring hope into the hearts of people longing for change. And some of them just hate the US, as does half of the rest of the world, including a fair number of Canadians.

Also, do you not realize the difference between people on the other side of the world and those living in the US? American muslims were not cheering when the Two Towers went down. They were mourning just the same as any other americans were. They are the ones that would be using this centre. Why punish them further than we already have?

14867_3_park3.jpg

14867_2_park2.jpg

14867_1_park1.jpg

World Architecture News

That looks kind of unfortunate. At least looking at the rendering, it goes terribly with the other buildings on the street. The style's interesting, but I think it goes on for much too long without interruption.

anybody notice the taxi with the advertisement for "new york dolls gentleman's club" in the rendering ?

Who gives a damn? This is not an urban issue and also has nothing to do with examples that might or might not serve us in Toronto.

The proposed cultural center is truly hideous and thus would fit in well with downtown Manhattan.

i like the building. it would be nice if the other sides looked like the front of the building.

Back