Monde Condominiums (Great Gulf Homes) - Real Estate -

Well, with the mortgage-related announcement yesterday I'd definitely wait a couple of months to see how the new rules affect the condo market. If there's a significant slow-down in the number of units sold in the next little bit, many of the proposed projects in town that are below 60-70% sold will likely be put on hold indefinitely or outright cancelled. The market is already saturated with units waiting to be sold.

If you need to buy now, I'd look at projects that are already under construction or about to get started.

I love this project !

But it does seem a little bit over priced. The area has so much potential. Forget the potential sugar beach / sherborne park already exist ! I love to go down there every weekend.

It really depends, if your investing unless your timeline is very long term ... if you want to buy its still debatable.

It'd be good to know the actual sale numbers at this time but that's always hard to get.

All these discouraging comments being posted online are not going to help this project get off the ground. As far as Im concnered a Safdie condo will pay off nicely and only appreciate. So often on this site we complain about a lack of landmark architecture. When we get it, we look for other reasons to be negative.

Last edited:
Well that's something to keep in mind. If this is a "high-end" condo the prices may indeed be justified. There are high end condos in other parts of the city that go for more but in my opinion are in a much worse area, even given what's here now.

That's something else too ... for all the talk about nothing being there, it's indeed beside everything ! There are condos in other parts of the city that are on completely residential streets also arguably beside nothing. At least here there are amazing parks already at the door step and everything else a couple blocks a way

exactly. there is a grocery store just 300m away, arguably one of the best parks in the city right at your doorstep, a streetcar will also be running at your doorstep in a couple of years.. I think this would be an amazing place to purchase. I might wait until this drops to around $550 a square foot, or nears 70% sales though. developers typically begin construction at 70% sales, so if/when it gets to that point, you are pretty much guaranteed the final product.

What I really like about this building is the amount of retail. This is a long building and I was told retail would be on both sides of the building and would stretch top to bottom. All this retail has go to attribute to the price, no?
My realtor was comparing other buildings in the area that were within the same proximity to Union Station and the price here at $600 per square foot for a lower level view of Sherbourne Common seems to be fairly reasonable. Other buildings within the same proximity to Union Station and the Financial District which were on the west side of yonge were higher priced, had much less retail and the neighbourhoods were less livable than the Monde location.
$600 a square foot doesn't seem like a bad price to me. My concern is the lack of sales and construction timeline. This building appears to be a home run and I don't understand the lack of sales.

exactly. there is a grocery store just 300m away, arguably one of the best parks in the city right at your doorstep, a streetcar will also be running at your doorstep in a decade..

Fixed that for you.

Realistically, the Ford Brothers Circus's antipathy to "trolleys" is helping to flatline development here and in the Port Lands.

Investors don't like the lack of TTC access, locals don't like the idea of being surrounded by construction for years; and the prices really are too high.

TTC will come in very quickly, that's an obvious and $600 square foot is not too high if you believe (as I do) that quality architecture deserves a premium.
Lastly, I LIKE being surrounded by construction. Few areas of the city have a clean slate to work with and I am confident that what goes in here from Citizen will be very fine. A couple of years passes very, very fast.

Fixed that for you.

Realistically, the Ford Brothers Circus's antipathy to "trolleys" is helping to flatline development here and in the Port Lands.

not if you ask them. they are attempting to have it accelerated.. but they don't want no streetcars blocking up our streets, just subways, subways, subways! subways folks! thats what we need to service a couple of mid-density blocks!

on a more serious note, they will probably insist on a "imoproved bus service" like they were planning on finch.. meaning there will be a bus running through every 15 mins..

I think people are too hard on this project. Everything about this building and location has so much going for it... which makes the price reasonable in my opinion.

Its flat out exciting watching a neighbourhood emerge out a brown field. I'd love to be surrounded by construction!

Its flat out exciting watching a neighbourhood emerge out a brown field. I'd love to be surrounded by construction!

Me too ! And you have to give them credit for what they've built. Sure we may not love Corus or George Brown, the buildings, but the park, all aspects of the public realm, I've heard not one complaint. Everyone I know who visits the area doesn't believe its Toronto.

Of course they don't, on the waterfront the last such project, HTO, while well used, is pretty dismal when it comes to the details.

I'm just afraid they missed the boat, the boat being the market. They were a good 2-4 years late getting this all rolling.

It'll still happen, but it'll take much much longer !

I think the West Don Lands may get rolling faster given the pan am games and the fact most people don't seem to view is as "not connected"

why would this be considered a "high-end" condo?
it doesn't seem to be any different than the majority of the mid-range condos throughout the city.

i like the project, but one is paying a premium for a mid-range unit in undeveloped location that will need a decade+ to develop.
imo, that's reflected in the sales.
if they were to ask $450-500 psf for a mid-level floor in the current market, (and restricted to end-user sales) they would be sold out now.

have you lived in a construction area?
the noise and traffic starts at 8 AM (sometimes sooner), the dust, vibrations, etc.
you can't open any doors or windows, more dust gets into your place through the vents even though doors and windows are closed, etc.

Back