News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

So that's where those panels are doing there! Great find.

Shame about the typesetting on the plaque though - nasty straight apostrophes (degree signs) and an extraneous space after a hyphen ...

the lemur, thank you! Most people walk by them without a second thought I'm sure.

Then and Now for July 4.

Then. 153 Lyndhurst. c1917. Residence of Ralph Connable. Wickson & Gregg, Architects.

655153LyndhurstAvec1917.jpg

Now. February 2012.

656.jpg

Then and Now for July 3.

Then. Queen and Yonge. 1980s. Looking NE along Queen. Yonge is behind the photographer. Note of the 'Budget Optical' building. Note the stone reliefs on the walls. Keep reading. :)

649McMannpic.jpg

Interesting colour scheme on that PCC. Still cream on the top, it looks like they changed their minds a couple of times when they were repainting it. The PCCs never looked right in the black/red/white colour scheme, and I was never comfortable even with the darker shard of magenta or whatever it is they used in later years.

There is a PCC painted in TTC colours (colors?) in service in San Francisco (Market Street "F" line). Its paint job is as above. See http://www.streetcar.org/streetcars/1074/

The Market Street F line car is actually modelled on the dark colours of the 1980s-1990s rebuild paint scheme with the dark red.

All the rebuilt PCC cars except for the two that survive today that were "restored" to their 1950s appearance were supposed to get the red, white, black and grey CLRV paint scheme to make them standard with the rest of the current fleet. The "white" in the CLRV colour scheme has just a hint of cream in it, it's not a stark white. Someone at the TTC didn't like the CLRV colours on the PCCs and had some pull so the rest of the rebuilt cars got the fake "original" maroon colour which was dark (but not as dark as what's on the two cars now). I thought the CLRV colours looked pretty good on the PCCs as the natural lines of the car matched the striping pretty well except for that red stripe above the standee windows. I would have done the stripe over the windows like the red & cream colours.

The red colour that most people remember was "subway red" which started to be used in 1970 and lasted until only the rebuilt cars were left in 1991. The "subway" red was the warmer bright red that we see on most photos of the cars in the 1970s and 1980s, and was also used on the red Gloucester subway trains starting in the early 1970s.

It would have been nice to see the F line car painted in the subway red instead of that dark burgundy-like colour and I hope the two remaining cars get a brighter shade of red on their next trip to the paint shop.

Last edited:
Grew up not 30 seconds away on Melgund, right across from Wells Hill Park, referring of course to Lyndhurst. Believe it was a convalescent home back in the 60's

The Market Street F line car is actually modelled on the dark colours of the 1980s-1990s rebuild paint scheme with the dark red.

All the rebuilt PCC cars except for the two that survive today that were "restored" to their 1950s appearance were supposed to get the red, white, black and grey CLRV paint scheme to make them standard with the rest of the current fleet. The "white" in the CLRV colour scheme has just a hint of cream in it, it's not a stark white. Someone at the TTC didn't like the CLRV colours on the PCCs and had some pull so the rest of the rebuilt cars got the fake "original" maroon colour which was dark (but not as dark as what's on the two cars now). I thought the CLRV colours looked pretty good on the PCCs as the natural lines of the car matched the striping pretty well except for that red stripe above the standee windows. I would have done the stripe over the windows like the red & cream colours.

The red colour that most people remember was "subway red" which started to be used in 1970 and lasted until only the rebuilt cars were left in 1991. The "subway" red was the warmer bright red that we see on most photos of the cars in the 1970s and 1980s, and was also used on the red Gloucester subway trains starting in the early 1970s.

It would have been nice to see the F line car painted in the subway red instead of that dark burgundy-like colour and I hope the two remaining cars get a brighter shade of red on their next trip to the paint shop.

Thank you AlbertHWagstaff. I'm reminded that you can still ride one on Sundays on Fleet street this summer.

http://www.ttc.ca/News/2012/June/NR_Take_a_TTC_trip_back_in_time.jsp

I never knew it was still used for tripod mounts, a fascinating hangover. There must be a few of those Victorian remnant standards out there. I think steamfitting would be rife with that sort of thing.

I have never before heard of "the Whitworth thread", however my father had a tap & die set and taught me how to use it.
I was always aware that a "1/4 20" thread was normal for cameras & tripods.
An exception was the Rolleiflex which needs this adaptor for a 1/4 20 tripod - see attached.
I suppose its larger tripod socket is designed for European use.

Attachments

• Rollei.jpg
    Rollei.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 235
"I think steamfitting would be rife with that sort of thing."
QUOTE Earlscourt_Lad.

On this side of the pond everthing is NPT, (National Pipe Thread) although I have never seen it

(Left Hand) for sale for pipe or as offered in any fitting. The only time that I ever saw it mentioned

was in an appretice's layout of instruction (which I retain) and in the body of a "pipe/pipe fitting body"

for the base of a work bench.

As an aside, if one were to walk into a present-day supplier and ask for a 2" swept Tee, would would

be looked upon as an excentric and spend thrift odd ball.

Another 'fitting that I miss is The Dart Union - nonferrous to nonferrous coupling, whose factory

was located on Niagara Street within the same building as The National Casket Co/Dominion

Manufacturers. (But that's an other story.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Walmer and Russell Hill NE corner. c1920"
QUOTE Mustapha.

?

Regards,
J T

"I think steamfitting would be rife with that sort of thing."
QUOTE Earlscourt_Lad.

On this side of the pond everthing is NPT, (National Pipe Thread) although I have never seen it

for sale for pipe or as offered in any fitting. The only time that I ever saw it mentioned was in

an appretice's layout of instruction (which I retain) and in the body of a "pipe/pipe fitting body"

for the base of a work bench.

As an aside, if one were to walk into a present-day supplier and

ask for a 2" swept Tee, would would be looked upon as an excentric and spend thrift odd ball.

Another 'fitting that I miss is The Dart Union - nonferrous to nonferrous coupling, whose factory

was located on Niagara Street within the same building as The National Casket Co/Dominion

Manufacturers. (But that's an other story.)

Regards,
J T

JT. JT,.. that's just.. pretty da*n interesting. :)

http://www.damninteresting.com/

I am a new Forum member and am thrilled to have found this forum. Anyways, awesome pics. Sure bring back memories of my childhood. One of my fave places was the Old Eatons Annex with the weird Escalator. Anyone have pics of it>? I would LOVE to see it again :)

Back