1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 3K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Poplar Plains & Avenue Road nw 1959--2012
PoplarPlainsAvenueRoadnw1959--2012.jpg

Nice, you've captured the world's fastest hatchback: the Ferrari FF.

Last edited:
JT,
If you do alot of older radiator work, in steam or hot water, you run into many many left/right fittings and nipples.
I had the joy of running and repairing a 1,500,000 BTU gravity steam system in an old church. We did have a new boiler, but alas, it was a cast iron sectional and cracked sections plagued the beast.
Whitworth threads are still in use and highly sought after by the British motorcycle restoration crowd.

"JT. JT,.. that's just.. pretty da*n interesting."
QUOTE Mustapha.

LOL

Although I have corrected it, I failed to mention that I was referring to "Right Hand/Left Hand" pipe threading.

Sorry.

Regards,
j t

"If you do alot of older radiator work, in steam or hot water, you run into many many left/right fittings and nipples."
QUOTE mattelderca

I have only worked with industrial steam, never hot water. The pipe rads, built - up from mulit pipe sections begining

and ending in cast iron manifolds (right & left hand) were generally pinhole/corrosion free due to A) being "free draining",

and B) any of the remaing water was "burned - off" due to the fact they were "mains". Usually, we would just clamp - over

a pinhole rather than "cut & paste" with an "onion"; returns from a cast iron rad were a total refit job however, as were all

returns in general.

Was your church system a "one pipe" or a "two pipe" system? One pipe systems have a better "pipe life" than an "in & out"

system due to the fact that every pipe must be at the correct slope. And never forget that a "two pipe" system must never

have an air vent, they being only for a hot water system or a "one pipe" steam system. (LOL)

BTW, and I am putting a "plug" (rather than a nipple & a cap) in here, City Chemical is the BEST water treatment company!
(LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Then and Now for July 4.

Then. 153 Lyndhurst. c1917. Residence of Ralph Connable. Wickson & Gregg, Architects.

655153LyndhurstAvec1917.jpg

Now. February 2012.

656.jpg

I guess that accounts for Connable Drive, the short street connecting Lyndhurst and Walmer with a walkway at the end.

Harriet Connable, a wealthy Torontonian who was vacationing in Petoskey with her husband, Ralph, was so moved by Hemingway’s speech at the women’s club that she asked if he would consider staying at the couple’s mansion in Toronto. Harriet believed that the courage and pluck Hemingway showed in recovering from his leg injury might serve as an inspiration to her invalid son, Ralph Jr., and so she offered him a position as the boy’s caretaker and mentor while she and Ralph Sr. travelled to Florida on holiday. Through the elder Ralph’s business connections, Hemingway was able to secure a job writing features for the Star Weekly.
http://torontoist.com/2012/03/in-our-town-ernest-hemingway-in-toronto/

Then and Now for July 4.

Then. 153 Lyndhurst. c1917. Residence of Ralph Connable. Wickson & Gregg, Architects.

655153LyndhurstAvec1917.jpg

Now. February 2012.

656.jpg

"I guess that accounts for Connable Drive, the short street connecting Lyndhurst and Walmer with a walkway at the end."
"Southeast corner, then. "
QUOTE the lemur.

FYI, the two above mentioned streets do not meet/cross/join.

Warren(?)

Regards,
J T

They do meet. Walmer and Russell Hill Drive. You're thinking of Russell Hill Road.

"They do meet. Walmer and Russell Hill Drive. You're thinking of Russell Hill Road."
QUOTE Mustapha.

Looks as though I was driving on the wrong road, or was it roading on the wrong drive.

(Tower Hill Apartments/Condos should have alerted me to the fact that I was on the

wrong side of the ravine!)

Regards,
j t

Back