News   May 24, 2024
 8.7K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 480     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I think I may have solved the mystery: this building was on the SE corner of Adelaide and York but the view is looking NE! The street to the right is Pearl Street which no longer exists east of York. I think Jaborandi is correct and that is the Canada Permanent Building.

You know, before reading this post, I was coming up with the same conclusion.

Yonge Street

Confederation Life at Yonge & Richmond?

The first attempt at an answer is absolutely correct!
Congratulations "thecharioteer" to you!

I'm still trying to post full images instead of thumbnails.
Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• Confederation Life Bldg.jpg
    Confederation Life Bldg.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 375
Jeez, am I ever glad that I didn't grow up eating during that era. Talk about one of the most uninspiring periods for food in North America.

Steak N Burger occupied a niche unfilled today; a cheap sit-down steak meal. There is no place to get one now. Beefwise, the burger, and it's upscale iterations (Craft Burger) reign alone.

The food picture reminds me of the lifestyle ads from those days in Look, and Life, etc.:)

July 18 addition.

Bay and Wellesley SE corner. This building also housed a Rolls Royce dealership in the 60s. Re: Rolls Royce, interesting how the dealership on Avenue Road came and went in a couple of years.

BayandWellesleySE.jpg

DSCF0867-2.jpg

I believe that was the fabled Royce dealership that Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins sauntered into, purchased a Rolls and paid the dumbfounded salesperson with cash.

mystery building

Trump may be on the rise, but I much prefer the beauty of that structure nextdoor - to the south.
I think it's a private club, isn't it?
There's no name on the exterior.
Is it the Toronto Club?

Attachments

• Trump Tower.jpg
    Trump Tower.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 332
Trump may be on the rise, but I much prefer the beauty of that structure nextdoor - to the south.
Is it the Toronto Club?

No, it's the National Club. The Toronto Club is on the SE corner of York and Wellington.

Steak N Burger occupied a niche unfilled today; a cheap sit-down steak meal. There is no place to get one now. Beefwise, the burger, and it's upscale iterations (Craft Burger) reign alone.

When it comes to steak, I'm wary of eating it on the cheap. At that price point for beef, you're better off getting a burger.

Is it the Toronto Club?

George (and Alden); nice updates at your website.

July 19 addition.

Bay and St. Joseph, SE corner. Ontario Chrysler is still doing business; in Mississauga now. Or, at least a company with the same name.

1001bay.jpg

DSCF0871-1.jpg

It was, indeed, the luxury auto-dealership strip of its day. (The more "middle-class" version was the Danforth.)

Interestingly, Ontario Chrysler survived into the mid-80s--I was ready to say, "long enough to make it into the Inventory of Heritage Properties"; but I just looked it up and unfortunately, it wasn't...

I remember that when 1001 Bay was being proposed mid-80's (truly the worst building on Bay Street), there was some talk of the Chrysler facade being preserved either inside or outside 1001. Didn't happen....

I remember that when 1001 Bay was being proposed mid-80's (truly the worst building on Bay Street), there was some talk of the Chrysler facade being preserved either inside or outside 1001. Didn't happen....

agreed--that building is really an Ãœber-Klunker. i remember watching in horror when they unleashed the mauve reflective glass, which the architect decreed should be splayed across the facade as an irregular upside down ziggurat shape.

of course it now has competition in the form of those hideous sheet metal "Residences of College Park", as the most aggressively ugly and cheap pile on Bay Street, but it still ranks.

1001.jpg

There is Zet's, and another steak place whose name I can't remember out by the airport.

Back