News   Jun 26, 2024
 215     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Probably because that's what was there first. They made it too small, though; if you look at photos of the Pantages when it was new, the sign was gigantic.

And don't get me started on the 'Canon' Theatre...

1) I loved the Uptown, I miss it. I think we should arrest someone for its demolition!

If you look carefully, you'll see that it's still there. They just changed the facade (which may have been there behind the siding in the earlier photo). I agree with the sentiment, though.

The restoration of the Elgin/Wintergarden reminds me of stories of 19th century restorations of medieval cathedrals in which the restorers had to pick which era to restore the building to. Centuries of additions, artwork and sculptures would get junked as they weren't of the "right" period.

The flamboyance and energy of later signage got sacrificed in the name of "authenticity" (no wonder visitors can never find the theatre and no one ever knows what's playing):

loews.jpg
Loews_Yonge_Street_and_Winter_Garde.jpg

I think that's what happens when you get bureaucrats (aka Ministry of Culture) making design decisions as opposed to theatre owners (aka Mirvish/Drabinsky)

Huh?

Probably because that's what was there first. They made it too small, though; if you look at photos of the Pantages when it was new, the sign was gigantic.

If you look carefully, you'll see that it's still there. They just changed the facade (which may have been there behind the siding in the earlier photo). I agree with the sentiment, though.

If you are talking about the Uptown.......

The facade is ALL that's there.

The actual theater which was on Balmuto (only the entrance was on Yonge) has been demolished as the site is being used to build the new 'uptown' condos.

Nothing of the original building has been preserved, except for the Yonge facade which was used for the sales office for the condo, and I gather will be leased for retail.

Though, even its latter years, covered in gaudy paint colours the entrance was nice, its the auditorium as a special place to see a movie that I miss.

954 Seats, a huge screen that could accommodate 70MM film, chandeliers in the theatre, curtains covering the screen, sigh....:cool:

And to think, that was the balcony of the original Uptown, what I grew up with as Cinemas 2 & 3 were the original main floor! At that time it sat 2,100!

Last edited:

In general, I find the new facade, sign, and canopy to be extraordinarily flimsy--as opposed to the ultra-70s-modern portholed Imperial Six front that replaced the Imperial pylon right after The Godfather closed...

If you are talking about the Uptown.......

954 Seats, a huge screen that could accommodate 70MM film, chandeliers in the theatre, curtains covering the screen, sigh....:cool:

And to think, that was the balcony of the original Uptown, what I grew up with as Cinemas 2 & 3 were the original main floor! At that time it sat 2,100!

And given a good movie, even on a cold evening in January the lineup could stretch to Bloor Street.

thecharioteer.. that's a sublimely beautiful theatre interior; is it the Uptown? Without going online, it looks like the Carlton.:)

July 16 addition.

Toronto was a sooty place then.

730a.jpg

DSCF0730.jpg

thecharioteer.. that's a sublimely beautiful theatre interior; is it the Uptown? Without going online, it looks like the Carlton.:)

It was the Carlton (note the Wurlitzer organ to the right of the stage; it used to rise from below stage before the screening and then descend once the film started; it is now in Casa Loma).

Back