News   May 09, 2024
 259     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 387     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 666     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for May 7, 2013.

Then. University Avenue Armoury (again). Sorry folks; I meant to post this in sequence with the Armoury Then and Now last Friday. I'm not that organized sometimes... :(

The license plate on the car says '1912.'

I wonder what the make is?

1106_zps221c119e.jpg

Cadillac, likely a 1911

Thanks so much Hudson8. I'm guessing Cadillacs were more difficult - financially - to buy in 1911 - that is; for the '99%', the car wasn't something the middle classes could lease, with $5000 [or the 1911 equivalent] down. :)

Last edited:
Then and Now for May 8, 2013.

Then. 457 Church Street. 'Alexander & Son. Sign Painting, Building Contractors.' c1918. Sourced by wwwebster.

1039457Churchc1918_zpse5c8f941.jpg

Now. September 2012.

1040_zps64a77b7e.jpg

I'm away from a PC for a few days, see you all next Monday night with a post for May 14.

This location really illustrates the vast changes that can take place in 106 years!

Dundas/Victoria N/W corner 1907

Shea's Theatre, Bay St. 1953
(the magnification is deceiving - Shea's was never as tall as the New City Hall)

An interesting 'triptych' of sorts Goldie. Thank you for putting it together.

I imagine the conversation to retain or not retain the Registry Building revolved around its being stylistically so different from the New City Hall. It's retention and therefore its close proximity to the 'New' might have struck a jarring note; so it had to go...

Mustapha and Goldie: It is good to post here at UT again after a long absence...

I found this group of pictures of the Registry Building interesting because of its
classic design - and how the 1960s New City Hall was built next to it...

It is too bad that this building could not have been saved in one form or another
and the prime mentality in that day was "Newer is Always Better"...

If that thought prevailed Toronto would have lost classic buildings like Old City Hall
and perhaps Union Station's great hall as good examples...

This has me thinking of a Joni Mitchell's lyric from the 70s:
"You never really know what you have until it's gone"

Thoughts from LI MIKE

If Moose is away, the mice can play?

A bit of urban archeology. 258-264 Bathurst, 1941 and today. I'd always wondered how some 1940s looking houses infiltrated into a block of obvious Victorians.

s0372_ss0033_it0784.jpg

Today: The round brick arch on the extreme right above survives, sort of. None of the olod porches do though.

8731880761_1be653dfd8_c.jpg

What an horrendous upgrade(?) to the house on the left! As well, it's too bad that the sun rooms and their supporting pillars didn't survive on the houses to the right. Any guesses why these houses were refaced?

In that photo, on the pole at the end of the City Hall parking-ramp median, you can still see the back of what must have been the last of the old-school black & white NO U TURN signs in Toronto--it finally vanished over the past month or so. (Whether because of road crews or because of weather--esp. given the weird winter/early spring we've had--I don't know.)

What an horrendous upgrade(?) to the house on the left! As well, it's too bad that the sun rooms and their supporting pillars didn't survive on the houses to the right. Any guesses why these houses were refaced?

I dunno. But I guess "nobody ever went broke" selling Canadians replacement windows crappier than the ones they already have.

Back