News   May 09, 2024
 134     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 371     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 640     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

How the %#@& were we ever seriously contemplating tearing that down?

It wasn't us, it was Eaton's....

From the Toronto Star Archives:

savingcityhall.jpg

"Caption: Save-the-Old City Hall adherents floodlit the west side of the building and began scrubbing off the grime with water and detergents. As the crowds began to investigate, others handed out appeals for support to retain the downtown landmark. Last Published: 6/24/1966
Release: NOT RELEASED
Photographer: Frank Lennon/GetStock.com

Attachments

• savingcityhall.jpg
    savingcityhall.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:
Early idea of humour at Old City Hall

Modern idea of [duct-tape] humour at Old City Hall

North side of Gerrard, west of Church, the first home of the Ontario College of Pharmacy:

gerrardnsidewestofchurch.jpg

Today, now housing the Ryerson Theatre School:

Ontario_College_of_Pharmacy.jpg

Historic plaque on existing building:

Ontario_College_of_Pharmacy_Plaque.jpg

Part of the Victorian building still remains and can be seen from the side:

44gerrard.jpg

And from McGill Street:

mcgill-1.jpg

Reviving a 4 year old post of thecharioteers to add another 'Then' - picture sourced by wwwebster. :)

44GerrardEc1916_zpsa854afd7.jpg

Walking around Queens Park and found this small plaque on a small rock:

DSC_5957_zpsdaca1d2d.jpg

Here's the tree in question:

DSC_5960_zps978a450f.jpg

And then my mind segued from trees to - to, wood; and to gramp's watch on my wrist, specifically the band, and the realization that back in the 1960s, woodgrain was a design element. They put it in rec rooms, sides of station wagons, etc. :)

R0010695_zps036712ef.jpg

It wasn't us, it was Eaton's....

From the Toronto Star Archives:

View attachment 12871

"Caption: Save-the-Old City Hall adherents floodlit the west side of the building and began scrubbing off the grime with water and detergents. As the crowds began to investigate, others handed out appeals for support to retain the downtown landmark. Last Published: 6/24/1966
Release: NOT RELEASED
Photographer: Frank Lennon/GetStock.com

Somewhere here at Urban Toronto, some years ago, not in this thread, someone posted a scan of a 60s newspaper article where the writer referred to Old City Hall as the 'ugly toad sitting at the top of Bay Street'. I wish I could find it.

Then and Now for May 6, 2013.

Then. March 21, 1916. 'Fanny Kornbloom in front of 6 Baldwin Street.' A Health Department photo; I suppose that that authority had some reason for taking such a portrait. Fanny looks healthy if a bit undershampooed and laundered; although washing was a difficult chore in those days.

10031916FannyKombloominfrontof6Baldwinstreet_zps9872ec8a.jpg

Now. October 2012.

The present homes on the site were built only about 4 years ago. Fanny's old family home survived up until then. As a regular stroller of Baldwin Street I missed those old homes ( I think there were 2 of them) the moment they were taken down. Of course economics dictates more than 2 homes went up in their place. And the new homes don't seem to fit into the streetscape.

There's something comforting about a street where old buildings are well looked after. Baldwin still falls into such a category I think.

1004_zps9843f5fb.jpg

Some other views nearby University Ave:

A couple of perspectives on our famous 'Land Registry Building'

Some other views nearby University Ave:

A couple of perspectives on our famous 'Land Registry Building'

An interesting 'triptych' of sorts Goldie. Thank you for putting it together.

I imagine the conversation to retain or not retain the Registry Building revolved around its being stylistically so different from the New City Hall. It's retention and therefore its close proximity to the 'New' might have struck a jarring note; so it had to go...

Then and Now for May 7, 2013.

Then. University Avenue Armoury (again). Sorry folks; I meant to post this in sequence with the Armoury Then and Now last Friday. I'm not that organized sometimes... :(

The license plate on the car says '1912.'

I wonder what the make is?

1106_zps221c119e.jpg

Now. October 2012. University Avenue Court House.

P4173065_zpsfee4218a.jpg

Then and Now for May 7, 2013.

Then. University Avenue Armoury (again). Sorry folks; I meant to post this in sequence with the Armoury Then and Now last Friday. I'm not that organized sometimes... :(

The license plate on the car says '1912.'

I wonder what the make is?

1106_zps221c119e.jpg

Cadillac, likely a 1911

Back