News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 940     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

So, a few posts back, I'm trying to guess where food trends are going in 2013, and JTCunningham disrespects me by sending me another 125 year old menu. :)

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN22-1888-No3-page-005.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN22-1888-No3-page-006.jpg

I always look at these menus closely; as I have an abiding curiosity as to what people have 'eaten out' through the years.

In the 'Dessert' section I found 'Malagra Grapes' intriguing; fresh grapes in January? I don't suppose they really came from Spain.

Thanks JT!

Then and Now for January 28, 2013.

Then. We are looking in a SW direction; the drugstore across the street is the NW corner of Parliament and Queen. August 1959.

928.jpg

Now. July 2013. It's still a furniture store across the street - now called 'Marty Millionaire'. They do quite a bit of business renting their stock out as movie props.

929.jpg

So, a few posts back, I'm trying to guess where food trends are going in 2013, and JTCunningham disrespects me by sending me another 125 year old menu. :)

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN22-1888-No3-page-006.jpg

I always look at these menus closely; as I have an abiding curiosity as to what people have 'eaten out' through the years.

In the 'Dessert' section I found 'Malagra Grapes' intriguing; fresh grapes in January? I don't suppose they really came from Spain.

Thanks JT!
I love these! I'll have the corned beef please, and for desert it will be Mince Pie and vanilla ice cream, thank you.

"Then. We are looking in a SW direction; the drugstore across the street is the NW corner of Parliament and Queen. August 1959."
QUOTE: Mustapha.

That was the scene of the infamous Rupert Hotel fire. One of those people that were killed had worked

for a trucking company I was familiar with.

http://torontohistory.org/Pages_PQR/Rupert_Hotel_Fire.html

RIP.

Regards,
J T

I had forgotten about this. Thanks for reminding us of this event and those lost.

My, what good vision you have Mustapha!
I had to do this before I could see them.

goodvision.jpg

She's bending over to give something to the child. One thought that occurred to me was: the child might have been born in 1884. If she lived to 80 (1964) she would have been witness to some amazing historical and technological events..

I love these! I'll have the corned beef please, and for desert it will be Mince Pie and vanilla ice cream, thank you.

And I had stewed tomatoes several times over the course of two weeks recently. They're not bad at all, and I've come to like them as much as fresh.

Of course, I enjoy canned fruit cocktail so you can see where I'm coming from. :)

One hundred and twenty five years ago today, bright and earnest Bay Street executives looked forward to lunch at G.S. McConkey's [27-29 King St. W.):

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-005.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-006.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-007.jpg

WALKERHOUSEMENUJAN29-No5-GSWCONKEYRESTAURANTMENU-page-008.jpg

Last edited:
Then and Now for January 30, 2013.

Then. 208 Queen W. c1980 or so I'm guessing. The Queen Mother Cafe was established 1978. This is a nice black and white picture that shows nicely the ability of b&w film to show details in shadows - see left side of picture - the wall of the neighbouring building.

932.jpg

Now. July 2012.

933.jpg

Back