News   Apr 25, 2024
 484     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And as a post-script, the middle building above, in 1878:

colemanbuilding1878.jpg

Then and Now for December 5, 2012.

Then. Gerhard Heintzman's House. Bloor St. E. Not sure of the date; 1910-ish?

870Heintzman.jpg

Now. June 2012. There is a condo here now; at 300 Bloor St. E.

871.jpg

Bonus pictures: hey, I used to be in Biz development :) - an aerial. You can make out the house; it's the second to the left/west of the fresh cut for the Mt. Pleasant Rd. extension.

869aerialBloorJarvis.jpg

And finally, to clinch your customer loyalty, another picture of the House here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mount_Pleasant_bridge_at_Bloor.jpg

And to go full circle, the Heintzman showroom was at 115-117 King Street West on the same block discussed yesterday (looks like it was just to the west of the Coleman Building and then became part of the Prince George Hotel)

pictures-r-6822.jpg

colemanbuilding1878.jpg

f0124_fl0001_id0131-1.jpg

Last edited:
Boardwalk at the foot of Scarborough Beach Blvd. 1952 and 2012

Then-ScarboroughBeachBlvdatlake1952.jpg

Now-ScarboroughBeachBlvdatlake2012.jpg

Those four-plexes have been such a mainstay of this neighbourhood. Many are somewhat rundown - rentals I suppose. Others are quite the opposite - lived in by owners I suppose.

Then and Now for December 6, 2012.

Then. Agnes Street Church. Bay and Agnes [Agnes was the precursor to 'Dundas'..] NE corner, 1899. Before the Ford Hotel, itself long bitten-the-dust there was this handsome church. It's poignant to think that the history of older buildings can only be recalled as images, and yet compared to cities in the Old World (your choice of 'Old World', dear UT-ers), many of our buildings had the briefest of lives. In 1909, our church became the Lyric Theatre.

872BayDundasNEc1899.jpg

Now. Atrium Building. July 2012.

873.jpg

It's absolutely amazing just how short-lived are buildings in Toronto.
Just like cel-phones, churches and hotels are disposable too!

And to go full circle, the Heintzman showroom was at 115-117 King Street West on the same block discussed yesterday (looks like it was just to the west of the Coleman Building and then became part of the Prince George Hotel)

pictures-r-6822.jpg

Imagine my surprise to read here that Heintzman still lives on; although the owners are Beijing based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heintzman_&_Co.

Heintzman blanketed the world with pianos the way Massey-Harris did with agricultural implements.

Imagine my surprise to read here that Heintzman still lives on; although the owners are Beijing based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heintzman_&_Co.

Heintzman blanketed the world with pianos the way Massey-Harris did with agricultural implements.

Wikipedia: "The current "Heintzman Piano Company" was established in August 1989, is a joint venture, is owned by "Chinese and Canadian shareholders", and it operates from Beijing, China."

Does this mean that some owners are in Canada?

Those four-plexes have been such a mainstay of this neighbourhood. Many are somewhat rundown - rentals I suppose. Others are quite the opposite - lived in by owners I suppose.

A lot of homes in this area are Toronto Community Housing corp owned. City houses bought up in advance of the Gardiner expressway build. When the easterly expansion was quashed, the city rented them out.

Wikipedia: "The current "Heintzman Piano Company" was established in August 1989, is a joint venture, is owned by "Chinese and Canadian shareholders", and it operates from Beijing, China."

Does this mean that some owners are in Canada?

An enquiry a few years about Heintzman pianos yielded the response that the sound boards are manufactured in Quebec and shipped to China where they are incorporated into the overall structure of the piano, so there is still Canadian content.

Back