News   Jul 12, 2024
 803     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for August 20.

Then. c1980. Fleet and Bathurst, SW corner.

7291980.jpg

Now. April 2012.

730.jpg

So, I goofed? It was where the condo is now behind the Esso gas station? Shoot. Sorry. Thanks for pointing it out.

Everyone please take note.

I was going to ask if they'd taken down the Tip Top building... I'm not down there very often but it's so iconic that I figure I would have heard someone say something about it.

So, I goofed? It was where the condo is now behind the Esso gas station? Shoot. Sorry. Thanks for pointing it out.

Everyone please take note.

Ah, I thought you did it on purpose. With the newer buildings now in between I suspect the actual same shot would be difficult to get. Close enough though, especially with the service station!

It's where the condo (or co-op?) is now at LS and Stadium. Essentially, Maple Leaf Stadium's LS blockfront was bookended by two gas stations: Joy to the W, and Esso to the E. Esso (if not the actual physical premises) survives.

Then and Now for August 21.

Then. Bank of British North America. NE corner of Weston Rd. and John St. c1906.

731BankofBritishNorthAmericaWestonRoadNEcornerofJohnStTorontoca1906.jpg

Now. April 2012.

732.jpg

Then and Now for August 22.

Then. The Dominion Bank. Eastern Harbour Branch. Cherry and Commissioner Streets. NE corner. c1920.

733CherryCommissionersNEc1920.jpg

Now. April 2012.

734.jpg

Then and Now for August 22.

Then. The Dominion Bank. Eastern Harbour Branch. Cherry and Commissioner Streets. NE corner. c1920.

733CherryCommissionersNEc1920.jpg

Now. April 2012.

734.jpg

A fine record of the so-called "Docklands" before the big changes we now see on the drawing boards.
Perhaps we need a concerted effort to record ALL of that area before it's unrecognizable.
Are there any remnants of the huge tank farms of recent history?

tankfarminPortLands1972.jpg

Last edited:
A fine record of the so-called "Docklands" before the big changes we now see on the drawing boards.
Perhaps we need a concerted effort to record ALL of that area before it's unrecognizable.

Yes. All the oil that leaked into the soil. I doubt we'd have to dig down too far.

^ If ever you needed an illustration of why details matter, that pair of photos would be it.

Anyone know when the fanlight and portico were removed? Not in the latest renovation. (Edit: Or is the fanlight still under there, maybe?)

More importantly, has anybody tried the food lately?

IMGP6488.JPG

Last edited:

There are still a couple of small tanks around Cherry & Commissioners, I believe.

That's a great photo, by the way. Harkens back to the days when Toronto looked (for better or worse) a lot more like a typical Great Lakes, "Foundry of the Continent" type city - in the vein of a Detroit, Chicago or Cleveland.

Back