News   Jul 12, 2024
 803     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 731     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 307     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Jean Berwald (formerly Jean Cooke, ex-wife of Toronto Maple Leafs Baseball Club owner Jack Kent Cooke) passes away.

http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20120815.OBBERWALD0815ATL/BDAStory/BDA/deaths

f1257_s1057_it2635.jpg

I wonder how many young people today have ever heard of "The Schnozzola" - seated between the Cookes.

"Jean Berwald (formerly Jean Cooke, ex-wife of Toronto Maple Leafs Baseball Club owner Jack Kent Cooke) passes away."
QUOTE Mustapha.

RIP.

Also see"THE LAST MOGUL" - The unauthorized biography of Jack Kent Cook by Adrian Havill. 1992.

BTW, left to right, Jean Berwald (Cooke), Jimmy Durante aka "The Schnozzola", Jack Kent Cooke.

(Prof Goldie, you are quicker than I! LOL)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
It was built within the last 10 years. I believe Loblaws/Weston had "food laboratories" or something in the old building and moved out probably when their new building in Brampton was completed. I always imagined Dave Nichol surrounded by people in lab coats in there testing out his President's Choice recipes or something.

Dave Nicol,, he used to be everywhere back in the day...

I'm busy for the next few days.. so Then and Nows for August 16 and 17 early. :)

Then and Now for August 16.

Then. Elizabeth Street. W side looking NW. just S of Dundas. c1967-ish.

Three long gone Chinatown businesses of note here:

You can just make out the 'en' of Lichee Garden on the left. They always had a Commissionaire sitting in the entrance lobby - I always thought this classi-ed up the place.

'Mon Kuo' - if you squint you can just dimly make the name out on the awning - was one of the higher class grocery stores; there was a travel agency in back of the store with a jawdropping mural of steam ships and airplanes.

Kwong Chow restaurant. Look for the sign top right centre of the picture. Still a restaurant under a different name - together with the also long gone Sai Woo they were the powerhouse duo of Chinese eateries to be seen at. This is the last Chinese restaurant still in its original location in the old Elizabeth Street Chinatown.

723.jpg

Now. May 2012.

724.jpg

Then and Now for August 15.

Then. 1047 Yonge Street. 'Office Building of Resources Engineering of Canada Ltd. Consulting Engineers.' c1969.

7191969OfficebuildingofResourcesEngineeringofCanadaLtdConsultingEngineers1047YongeStreetatcornerofRoxboroughAvenueEast.jpg

Now. May 2012. It's a condo of, I'm guessing, early 90s vintage.

720.jpg

What a wonderful example of how we sometimes stumble ... but are now recovering.

Back