News   Jul 12, 2024
 306     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

February 13 addition.

Then. 336, 338 Yonge. Dec 3, 1950.

s0574_fl0014_id49331.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0083-2.jpg

Resurrecting an old post of mine to add another 'Now' picture, this time with a slightly different angle and in black and white style just to be different.

I was sitting on a chair today in the curb lane of Yonge... I suppose this is what passes for the year 2012 version of the 1972 Yonge Pedestrian Mall. I was 15 in 1972 and a great time it was to be that age although I didn't realize it at the time. I looked at the kids who looked to be about 15 all around me on Yonge today and wondered what the future holds for them, and what kind of Yonge we will have in 2052.

R1238981.jpg

Too bad they do not build schools with character anymore.

It's just that they didn't know any better back in the olden days. :)

"I imagine the buildings were 'overbuilt' to take the weight of those tanks, no? "
QUOTE Mustapha.

The only Fire Protection Water Tank that we ever had was the one at 68 - 70 Broadview Avenue. It was at the top of the east staircase, later

being moved to it's present empty location atop the building's south east extention. I had a pic taken of it with the demo torch-cutter and I standing

on it's surrounding walkway but , but, but, no one at the office can find it now.

Massey - (Harris) Ferguson had a huge in - ground tank just south of King Street at Crawfofd, it being the tender of a Corliss Steam Engine Fire Pump.

The E W Gillett Co (Magic Baking Powder) had a 75,000 Gal in - ground tank below what is now The Roastery Coffee Shop, with the steam

driven pump located in it's more southerly building.

The demise of the water tanks were due to a consistent and large volume of water being made available throughout the city mains, they serving

for both domestic & Fire Protection.

FWIW, the above E W Gillett Plant was the only building (in this city?) that not only had a 7" main shut off valve, but also no Fire System pump - up! (EVER)

Regards,
J T

Heya JT; right up your alley re: your post. Scanned article dated Aug 13 1909 courtesy of wwwebster:

Aug131909issue.jpg

With Neil Armstrong's passing I'm thinking of the Space Race excitement of those days, huddled around the tv watching the moonwalks; the Apollo spacecraft toys that we played with. As I sit here playing with my grandfather's 1966 vintage Omega Constellation chronometer rated wristwatch with a relief of an observatory on the back, I also think of the elegance of that age.

Herewith a tenous link to our 'Moon' topic and 1 minute 44 seconds of 1960s elegance. Julie London singing 'Fly Me To The Moon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWxObuuy9oA

Back