News   Apr 19, 2024
 491     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.7K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Same here. Except that the pickup looks late 70s or early 80s, and that isn't "old". Is it?

I think I went into Flash Back four years ago when I was wandering the market, but I don't recall the King of Kensington sign. Is that a store or is it just a street banner?

King of Kensington is a store - they sell clothing and vintage bikes.

Last edited:
Same here. What a hassle.

I no longer have lawns to weed at either the front or the back of the Summer Palace, thanks to my decision to plant ground cover and perennials everywhere. That doesn't mean that there are no weeds, of course, it's just that they're difficult to see!

That's certainly an odd one. I haven't found it on any older maps yet (just empty space between Bloem and Eversfield), which reminds me: has there been any discussion on the history of Rogers Rd?

It's never shown on any maps that I've seen, though when you're there it really is a road allowance and space for short lots on the south side. Much like the nearby O'Leary Lane:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=o'leary+lane,+toronto&hl=en&ll=43.685478,-79.440143&spn=0.002106,0.005284&hnear=O'Leary+Ave,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario+M6E+2V7&t=h&z=18

I've always been curious about Rogers, it's a Dundas-ish amalgam of streets and some totally new construction. Its construction is decently covered at the Archives. I believe Mustapha did a few then and nows some time ago.

The secret is to use a garden hose with medium volume to losen the roots and then the weeds lift out like a knife from butter and you avoid leaving a tiny bit of root behind to grow again.

I'll try this.. thanks DSC!

I no longer have lawns to weed at either the front or the back of the Summer Palace, thanks to my decision to plant ground cover and perennials everywhere. That doesn't mean that there are no weeds, of course, it's just that they're difficult to see!

I'm imaging you save an hour a week, what with no lawn, Urban Shocker... perhaps more?

If we can't find the original Rawlinson, there is always John Ross Robertson in Lawrence Park. That was built to the same plan as Rawlinson, and it seems to have survived pretty well.

streetview

It looks like the same architect did the Loyal True Blue and Orange Lodge in Richmond Hill. Clearly, he liked this design! (Me too - I like the hints of Wren's Chelsea Hospital.)

RH12-15.gif

John Ross Robertson... who knew this? Thank you for this factoid k10ery.

Always liked that school (and it's improved by the renovation of the original's mean little gabled entrances); seems like the architects were paying attention to Dwight Perkins' educational avant-gardeisms in Chicago...

3243526370_0d4d7738e2_z.jpg

One thrill, for me, is looking at American school building designs when I am traveling. The sheer variety south of the border makes the Canadian school building inventory look homogeneous. Some of the mid century stuff in southern California is breathtaking. Then again, so are some of the John Lautner houses perched over hillsides in Studio City in L.A...

At least they're easy to spot - they're the only things that are green.

I live across the street from the Typhoid Mary of weeds in the neighbourhood. Next door used to be just as bad, but the house changed hands and the keener owners have totally ripped up and resodded the front lawn (and hopefully the back, at some point). I am looking longingly at their weed-free lawn.

You name it, I've tried it - the iron-based weed killer (not bad, but when your lawn is full of seeds, a never-ending thing), the Fiskars digger thingie, and even the propane-heated spike thingie that litterally cooks the suckers. I'd gladly go to perennials and ground cover if I could figure out a way to convert an entire corner lot without breaking the bank.

I live across the street from the Typhoid Mary of weeds in the neighbourhood. Next door used to be just as bad, but the house changed hands and the keener owners have totally ripped up and resodded the front lawn (and hopefully the back, at some point). I am looking longingly at their weed-free lawn.

You name it, I've tried it - the iron-based weed killer (not bad, but when your lawn is full of seeds, a never-ending thing), the Fiskars digger thingie, and even the propane-heated spike thingie that litterally cooks the suckers. I'd gladly go to perennials and ground cover if I could figure out a way to convert an entire corner lot without breaking the bank.

The iron based weed killer - I've tried Scott's Ecosense - is as you say, 'not bad', but if you consider the price of it, it's not a good value; for me anyways.

Since we have a pesticide ban in this province - strangely, the golf courses are exempt - the only way to circumvent this is to import the banned stuff yourself or get your car driving friends to bring it in from the USA for you. 'Spectricide' is one I highly recommend. This stuff works even on clover filled lawns - kills the clover and leaves the grass standing. Clover is impossible to dig out entirely as we all know. Spectricide is amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Photobucket is back up. Then and Now for June 18.

Then. c1921. Norway Public School. Kingston Road and Heyworth Cres. NE corner.

673HeyworthCrWsidetowardsKingstonRdc1921.jpg

Now. April 2012. The school still exists, but as a newer (I'm guessing 60s vintage) building, out of sight to the left of this view.

674.jpg

Back