News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 894     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Wow, back in the day when there was just a huge parking lot between Simcoe and John.. Needless to say Roy Thomson Hall and Metro Hall are a huge improvement.

BeeRich:

I'm not interested in what you have little patience for, to be honest. I'm sure there's another forum for that.

And I am not interested in that either, so perhaps you should take heed in your own advice. Given the kerfuffle on this and a few related threads of late, i'd say it would be prudent to consider this a warning.

AoD

Last edited:
Photobucket is back up. Then and Now for June 18.

Then. c1921. Norway Public School. Kingston Road and Heyworth Cres. NE corner.

673HeyworthCrWsidetowardsKingstonRdc1921.jpg

Now. April 2012. The school still exists, but as a newer (I'm guessing 60s vintage) building, out of sight to the left of this view.

674.jpg

The first school I attended. 1969 to 1972 This is of course the "new" wing the original facing Kingston Rd. and connected by two underground gymnasiums and a tunnel under the school yard. I have a picture of myself standing very near the fellow in the then pic, I shall make an effort to scan it and post.
Way too many great memories from the school and area to start going on about.

Wow, back in the day when there was just a huge parking lot between Simcoe and John.. Needless to say Roy Thomson Hall and Metro Hall are a huge improvement.

And before it was a parking lot it was a rail yard for box cars and such being loaded up at the Canadian Pacific Express facility. Once most of the tracks came up they simply made it into a parking lot.

More like 1976/77/78, or whenever the Canadian Pacific warehouse underwent demolition (if you notice, the upper windows are hollow)

I don't have any info on the warehouse, but there don't seem to be any cars that would definitively place it in 1980. In any case, it may be as early as 1976, judging by the Aspen/Volare making a left, and the truck bears the blue version of the CP logo, which would be CP Express, suggesting that the warehouse was still in use.

Photobucket is back up. Then and Now for June 18.

Then. c1921. Norway Public School. Kingston Road and Heyworth Cres. NE corner.

673HeyworthCrWsidetowardsKingstonRdc1921.jpg

Now. April 2012. The school still exists, but as a newer (I'm guessing 60s vintage) building, out of sight to the left of this view.

674.jpg

I don't know where the 'then' photo is from but they seem to have gotten the name of the street wrong.

I don't know where the 'then' photo is from but they seem to have gotten the name of the street wrong.

No, that is the street in both pictures. Google link I am very familiar that side of the school, as I said, I have a few pics that same spot and a few other views as well. The 100 anniversary of the school was a few years back, which I also attended. I'll have to scan my photos to add to this post.

Edit: Doh! you know I am so familiar with seeing Heyworth I did not notice the typo in the then lable!

Last edited:
No, that is the street in both pictures. Google link I am very familiar that side of the school, as I said, I have a few pics that same spot and a few other views as well. The 100 anniversary of the school was a few years back, which I also attended. I'll have to scan my photos to add to this post.

Edit: Doh! you know I am so familiar with seeing Heyworth I did not notice the typo in the then lable!

Whereas I'm not familiar with it at all and couldn't find 'Heywood' using Google Maps.

The iron based weed killer - I've tried Scott's Ecosense - is as you say, 'not bad', but if you consider the price of it, it's not a good value; for me anyways.

Since we have a pesticide ban in this province - strangely, the golf courses are exempt - the only way to circumvent this is to import the banned stuff yourself or get your car driving friends to bring it in from the USA for you. 'Spectricide' is one I highly recommend. This stuff works even on clover filled lawns - kills the clover and leaves the grass standing. Clover is impossible to dig out entirely as we all know. Spectricide is amazing stuff.

And what's worse, the nearest US state--New York-- has the same ban.

No worries, I'll be in Ohio and Pennsylvania next month, and hoping to bring back a supply.

Then and Now for July 20.

Then. 1969. Spadina, west side, College Avenue in the distance. Yes, they could park at a 45degree angle like that. Like they still do in some small towns. It made life easier for those whose parallel parking skills were weak. :)

6861969.jpg

Now. April 2012.

687.jpg

Ah the El Mocambo.. One of my greatest memories was playing a show there, and my Dad being there to see me play 30 years to the day after seeing April Wine at the same venue.

Back