News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 458     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then and Now for Oct. 19.

Then. 145 Jarvis. c1907. Picture sourced by wwwebster. Fred Victor Mission.

228145Jarvisc1907.jpg

Now. April 2011. Still the Fred Victor Mission.

229.jpg

http://fredvictor.org/fred_victor_beginnings

Hey folks, I haven't been on here in a long minute. Lots of catching up to do. The thread is looking good as usual! :)

Just before Christmas during 2 or 3 years in the 1950s, a few of us teenagers from our church used to go down to the Mission to unwrap and sort the "White Gifts" that were collected by many churches for those in need that the mission catered for. Sorting of White Gifts was necessary. You didn't want to give a child a can of peaches when he or she could have had a toy.
We did our work on the fifth floor which was one great big central room with a few closed-off alcoves. There was very little heating. Decorating had not taken place for many a year. One year we were offered a lift down to the main floor in the Mission's only elevator. It was operated by a heavy rope, uncomfortably in need of replacement.
The outside might have been of architectural interest, but money was not spent on upkeep of the structure. The Mission had other priorities. I don't know when the building was finally replaced, but I hope it is still being used to carry out the same much-needed activities that were happening there in the 50s.

Just before Christmas during 2 or 3 years in the 1950s, a few of us teenagers from our church used to go down to the Mission to unwrap and sort the "White Gifts" that were collected by many churches for those in need that the mission catered for. Sorting of White Gifts was necessary. You didn't want to give a child a can of peaches when he or she could have had a toy.
We did our work on the fifth floor which was one great big central room with a few closed-off alcoves. There was very little heating. Decorating had not taken place for many a year. One year we were offered a lift down to the main floor in the Mission's only elevator. It was operated by a heavy rope, uncomfortably in need of replacement.
The outside might have been of architectural interest, but money was not spent on upkeep of the structure. The Mission had other priorities. I don't know when the building was finally replaced, but I hope it is still being used to carry out the same much-needed activities that were happening there in the 50s.
I think I remember the original building and the rebuilding. I think mid eighties??

That's just sad. Please tell me the original buidling was torn down due to fire or something and not 'just because'.

I *think* it may have been a victim of fire or some such thing in the late 50s, at which time it was originally rebuilt (and at which time such architecture wouldn't have been embraced, anyway). And it was that circa-1960 version that was in turn rebuilt/transformed into the present version three decades later...

I *think* it may have been a victim of fire or some such thing in the late 50s, at which time it was originally rebuilt (and at which time such architecture wouldn't have been embraced, anyway). And it was that circa-1960 version that was in turn rebuilt/transformed into the present version three decades later...

I think your hunch is right; I used to pass this way often over the decades without looking at the building...

I'm loving this thread; a picture goes up of a vanished building and NomoreaTorontonian comes along and gives us a 'Doors Open' style tour. Thanks so much.

Then and Now for Oct. 20.

Then. 266 Jarvis Street. c1907. Victor Home for Young Women. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

230266Jarvisc1907.jpg

Now. April 2011.

231.jpg

Back