News   May 09, 2024
 535     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 832     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 555     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

While I am on the subject, and with the approach of winter, may I give some of you home/property owners a tip?

To save some cash along with your vegetation, after snow removal, lay down a light dusting of rock salt followed by

another dusting (use the round stuff, not the flake) of calcium chloride. Do this when the temp dips low due to the fact

that salt does not "work" when very cold, but the with the addition of the CC after the fact, the CC elevates the temp

so as to allow the salt to "dig". Other than the above, just use CC. (And maybe some CC* after!)

* For me, that would be Coca-Cola; for others, Canadian Club.

End of rant III,

Regards,
J T

The old photo's interesting in showing us the Annette widening in process--if you go to the S side of Annette W of Keele, you'll notice a house with a "clipped" porch that's probably a widening byproduct (and looks 40s/50s-ish as well)

While I am on the subject, and with the approach of winter, may I give some of you home/property owners a tip?

To save some cash along with your vegetation, after snow removal, lay down a light dusting of rock salt followed by

another dusting (use the round stuff, not the flake) of calcium chloride. Do this when the temp dips low due to the fact

that salt does not "work" when very cold, but the with the addition of the CC after the fact, the CC elevates the temp

so as to allow the salt to "dig". Other than the above, just use CC. (And maybe some CC* after!)

* For me, that would be Coca-Cola; for others, Canadian Club.

End of rant III,

Regards,
J T

I'm impressed, JT. Is there anything you don't know? This week, we're waiting for your advice for the lovelorn. :) :)

Then and Now for Oct 17.

Then. Lobb Avenue. Oct 23 1912. This is in the Queen and Shaw streets area.

220.jpg

Now. June 2011. The houses in the right distance in the Then picture have been replaced by the 1915 Shaw Street School; which itself has been closed and shuttered since 2001.

221lowrez.jpg

"we're waiting for your advice for the lovelorn."
QUOTE Mustapha

Thank you Sire for the kind words.

After having surveyed the situation, and with a firsthand knowlege of the matter, base all decision upon an exit

strategy. Responsibility will echo longer than Lust; whatever that lust may be.

(Just what I needed; more books!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"Perhaps a "Dear J T", or better yet, an "Ask J T" thread?"
QUOTE Earlscourt_Lad

After having corrected my mis spell of "Responsibility",

I want a second opinion!

(LOL)

Regards,
J T

"we're waiting for your advice for the lovelorn."
QUOTE Mustapha

Thank you Sire for the kind words.

After having surveyed the situation, and with a firsthand knowlege of the matter, base all decision upon an exit

strategy. Responsibility will echo longer than Lust; whatever that lust may be.

(Just what I needed; more books!)

Regards,
J T

Such sensible advice. I've taken it to - ahem - heart - and am no longer lovelorn. On to todays Then and Now.

Then and Now for Oct 18.

Then. 'May 25, 1948. Lansdowne bend N of Davenport.'

222.jpg

Now. April 2011. Streetcar tracks gone of course,.. and some ridiculously wide species of tree that I'm not familiar with.

223.jpg

I grew up on Booth Avenue and Queen in the 1960's. The factory was a 4 storey Dunlop Tire factory. The current Jimmie Simpson pool building was a late addition in the late 60's to the Dunlop factory, that they kept when they tore it down in 1970. My lucky dad owned our house from 1940-1969 and sold it 1 9 months before they tore down the factory and put in a park. Sold it for $12,500, worth 4 times that 1 year later!

I grew up on Booth Avenue and Queen in the 1960's. The factory was a 4 storey Dunlop Tire factory. The current Jimmie Simpson pool building was a late addition in the late 60's to the Dunlop factory, that they kept when they tore it down in 1970. My lucky dad owned our house from 1940-1969 and sold it 1 9 months before they tore down the factory and put in a park. Sold it for $12,500, worth 4 times that 1 year later!

Had no idea this fact about the pool building. Cool. So many factories gone from just a few blocks circumference of your old street - Dunlop of course, but also Colgate, Wrigleys, Reliable Toy. Granted some of these are also like Dunlop - gone many decades - but not replaced. Oh, wait, replaced with service jobs.

Last edited:

Back