News   Jul 30, 2024
 240     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 942     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 553     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

khris: what's happening with your avatar? It has changed twice in the past ten minutes. Bring back the old Ming The Merciless one ... please.

Mustapha, is this you?

No, that's not me. When did that article see the light of day? Before or after my post? Weird.

If before my post, I will affirm that my research and conclusions were coincidental.

If after, Mr. Barrett's work could just as well be coincidental. I wouldn't be the only one looking through Toronto archive photos looking for hidden history.

i saw those archive pictures on the spacing flickr page a couple of days ago and i thought that you must've wrote an article for spacing since we all enjoy your "then and now" threads here on UT.

No, that's not me. When did that article see the light of day? Before or after my post? Weird.

If before my post, I will affirm that my research and conclusions were coincidental.

If after, Mr. Barrett's work could just as well be coincidental. I wouldn't be the only one looking through Toronto archive photos looking for hidden history.

It was only posted today. Could be coincidence, smells more like something else.

Don't underestimate how popular your thread is. A quick google search on "Sully Shaw Buried" brings up the Urban Toronto thread link as the second-last (it would have been third-last until spacing's post) on the first page.

For it to be a coincidence, you'd have to first accept that the person writing the article is a shitty researcher.

i saw those archive pictures on the spacing flickr page a couple of days ago and i thought that you must've wrote an article for spacing since we all enjoy your "then and now" threads here on UT.

Thanks smuncky, I wish I had time to post this kind of material in two places on the internetz. I post my Toronto interest writing here at UT only; UT is my one and only. X0X0

The spacing writer has his bio online and I can assure I'm not he. I was at the UT meetup on Dec 28 and handed out my business cards to those who were there. My real name is Jeff - and I'm in the software business.

It was only posted today. Could be coincidence, smells more like something else.

Don't underestimate how popular your thread is. A quick google search on "Sully Shaw Buried" brings up the Urban Toronto thread link as the second-last (it would have been third-last until spacing's post) on the first page.

For it to be a coincidence, you'd have to first accept that the person writing the article is a shitty researcher.

Thanks TKTKTK. I re-read it and found the posting date - today. He was certainly inspired by my post.:D

His different treatment of the subject, ie., specifying the rivers that carved the geography, makes some of it his own original work. Certainly he has added to my research.

I suppose some day a film, 'The Horror of Sully Street - Unburied Dead III' will be made by M. Night Shyamalan and no one will remember how the idea arose.:)

Jan 17 addition

poor widdle kid can't find bakka:)

Queen looking east from Peter

fo1231_f1231_it1671.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

khris: what's happening with your avatar? It has changed twice in the past ten minutes. Bring back the old Ming The Merciless one ... please.
mingmercy-431x300.jpg

Omg no! I never heard of Ming the Merciless until now, and now that I know who that is, I will never look at that photo of me the same way.

You know, I never thought of what was there before Eaton Centre. If you or anyone has more photos of what was there before, that would be awesome!
Having Eaton Centre behind those facades would have been very cool.

These are not "then and now" sets, but a few photos of the area pre: Eaton Centre that I have likely pulled from here on one thread or another

Yonge, south of Queen facing north (1930's)

yonge-and-queen-woolworths-1930s.jpg

Yonge, north of Queen facing north (1954)

yonge-queen1954.jpg

Yonge at Shuter, facing south (1949)

yonge-and-queen-1949.jpg

Yonge at Queen facing north (1954)

woolworths-1954.jpg

Sully Crescent Conspiracy

Thanks TKTKTK. I re-read it and found the posting date - today. He was certainly inspired by my post.:D

His different treatment of the subject, ie., specifying the rivers that carved the geography, makes some of it his own original work. Certainly he has added to my research.

I suppose some day a film, 'The Horror of Sully Street - Unburied Dead III' will be made by M. Night Shyamalan and no one will remember how the idea arose.:)

Greetings,
I'm the Mathew Borrett who did the Sully post on the Spacing Wire. I'm not actually a regular follower of this forum, though I've been an archive nut for a few years now and I live not far from Sully Crescent. I wrote up a batch of posts for Spacing Wire a few weeks ago, which must have been mere days before Mustapha's post as I made sure to do a google search on the subject to make sure the field was open.

Seems the Toronto archives are hot right now - the Historicist guys on Torontoist are also doing some great stuff. In future I'll make sure to do some searching *immediately* prior to a post - seems rumors of conspiracy are quick to surface!

Meanwhile, I think our posts are complimentary, so I've linked to Mustapha's post from the comments section on my post - those before and after comparisons are great.

Happy archive hunting!

Matt

Greetings,
I'm the Mathew Borrett who did the Sully post on the Spacing Wire. I'm not actually a regular follower of this forum, though I've been an archive nut for a few years now and I live not far from Sully Crescent. I wrote up a batch of posts for Spacing Wire a few weeks ago, which must have been mere days before Mustapha's post as I made sure to do a google search on the subject to make sure the field was open.

Seems the Toronto archives are hot right now - the Historicist guys on Torontoist are also doing some great stuff. In future I'll make sure to do some searching *immediately* prior to a post - seems rumors of conspiracy are quick to surface!

Meanwhile, I think our posts are complimentary, so I've linked to Mustapha's post from the comments section on my post - those before and after comparisons are great.

Happy archive hunting!

Matt

What a coincidence! Thanks for your explanation.

Back