News   Jul 30, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 389     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0239_id0028.jpg

This picture has some minor additional signifigance. The late Larry Becker's coin store can be seen - 'Coins' on the sign - 4th store right (north) of the corner. He was a collector of all things ephemera related to Toronto.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/becker_collections/index.htm

He was also very nice to this young lad who started his nickel collection here.

the before and after shot of bay south of dundas really makes me cry.

the ugliest stretch in toronto was once so beautiful. i get shudders walking down bay now.

hopefully, all of the new condo developments will spruce it up, maybe add some trees and public art.

Jan 15 addition

Yonge looking north from outside the present day Eaton Centre.

The Imperial theatre is now the Canon, of course. The Downtown theatre sign in the distance... that's the location of the southwest corner of Yonge-Dundas Square now.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it8939.jpg

DSCF0047-1.jpg

You know, I never thought of what was there before Eaton Centre. If you or anyone has more photos of what was there before, that would be awesome!
Having Eaton Centre behind those facades would have been very cool.

I'm curious about what form that Bata reno-in-process on the right might have taken...maybe because it's Bata...

You know, I never thought of what was there before Eaton Centre. If you or anyone has more photos of what was there before, that would be awesome!
Having Eaton Centre behind those facades would have been very cool.

kristopher, If you have a bit of time check out the Toronto online archive - a search word like 'construction' brings up lots of pics of TTC construction in the 50s and Yonge street views.

I'm curious about what form that Bata reno-in-process on the right might have taken...maybe because it's Bata...

Funny how their low cost manufacturing (eastern European factories) business model was bettered. There are probably more Chinese shoes ready to be sold than there are feet on this planet.

Jan 16 addition

Front looking west from Peter. wollocondos:)

This is a real community now; there is a breakfast place on Blue Jays Way jammed with local families. During my picture taking this cold Saturday I followed a woman pushing a stroller up a deserted York street near Wellington, she then went back to her Front street condo.

ser71_s0071_it4619.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

Back