News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 

Midtown Toronto

Thanks I'll take a look next time I go running down there. One thing I like about midtown is there are so many great parks.

Not just parks, but trails !! Yea its a really great part of the city for that ... I don't think there's anywhere better in the GTA for access to that many trails so close by ... just behind that giant reservoir is a trail system ... Rosedale Ravine Trail ... (not to mention the ones in the dvp area).

Not just parks, but trails !! Yea its a really great part of the city for that ... I don't think there's anywhere better in the GTA for access to that many trails so close by ... just behind that giant reservoir is a trail system ... Rosedale Ravine Trail ... (not to mention the ones in the dvp area).

The Rosedale/St Clair area has amazing trails for sure. It's also one of the most beautiful places in The 6 in terms of house architecture & overall street scape in my opinion.

Isn't Uptown BIA just north of Eglinton?

Yeah. Eg to Lawrence was Uptown and Yonge & Bloor was also called Uptown. Many parts of Toronto were and are called uptown and midtown throughout history.

Having said that, google "midtown toronto" and you'll get Google's opinion on what midtown is: Bloor to Lawrence, Oakwood to Bayview.

Yes, the notion that the city is evolving is ludicrous.

What nonsense. Saying North York is now "uptown" doesn't put us more in the "big leagues."

And midtown does not have to mean geographic center of the city.

To get to this "uptown" you have to pass through a big swath of classic postwar suburbia first.

Is the "east end" now Scarborough? Is the "west end" now Etobicoke?

Last edited:
Yeah. Eg to Lawrence was Uptown and Yonge & Bloor was also called Uptown. Many parts of Toronto were and are called uptown and midtown throughout history.

Having said that, google "midtown toronto" and you'll get Google's opinion on what midtown is: Bloor to Lawrence, Oakwood to Bayview.

So has North Toronto now migrated to Finch or Steeles?

Lawrence Park is in the same section of town as the Annex and Yorkville but in a different section of town as Yonge-Lawrence village/Bedford Park? OK...

Last edited:
So has North Toronto now migrated to Finch or Steeles?

Lawrence Park is in the same section of town as the Annex and Yorkville but in a different section of town as Yonge-Lawrence village/Bedford Park? OK...

It's whatever you want it to be, this is no consensus :)

Personally the only time I've heard the term "North Toronto" was to refer to the former town of North Toronto, which was Lawrence to St Clair on Yonge.

Yonge and Eglinton is in fact the heart of midtown. The city has grown quite a bit. The northern edge of downtown is now Yorkville and the Annex; however, uptown Toronto probably once refered to the Yonge and Bloor area--hence the Uptown Theatre.

What nonsense. Saying North York is now "uptown" doesn't put us more in the "big leagues."

And midtown does not have to mean geographic center of the city.

To get to this "uptown" you have to pass through a big swath of classic postwar suburbia first.

Is the "east end" now Scarborough? Is the "west end" now Etobicoke?

I have no idea what you mean about the "big leagues". As has been discussed in this and other threads, there is no official boundary of either midtown or uptown, the meaning of the terms have clearly evolved over time, they will presumably continue to evolve, and reasonable people can have reasonable, but differing, opinions as to what the terms mean. It appears that the terms have been vague and imprecise for a lot longer than amalgamation, and it wouldn't surprise me if some people shy away from using them for that reason. It's fine that you don't think that North York is uptown. Others are free to have that opinion. Neither of you is more correct than the other.

I think that how one defines the boundaries will be based on one's perspective of scale.

If someone is primarily focused on the downtown central business district of Toronto, then yes, uptown would be Yonge & Bloor and downtown would be the waterfront.

If one's scope encompasses the whole of the 416, then uptown would be North York and midtown would be Yonge & Eglinton.

Back