News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 962     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 

Midtown Toronto

Is there a reason why the Eglinton Bus Bays smell sooo bad?

Is this a recent phenomenon? Can you describe the smell? :)

I don't remember noticing anything out of the ordinary last time. Now that it's warmer though I prefer to walk.

When I'm going to the station the experience is pretty good, I just check the next-bus LED at the stop and if there's one coming soon, hope on the first one that comes (there are multiple routes covering Eg East between Leslie and Yonge, so it's very frequent).

When I go to the bus bay from the subway I find it annoying because, firstly, there's a bunch of buses sitting at the bus bay and you don't know which one will leave first. Then once you choose one and get on it it could take from 1 min to 10 min before the bus actually starts moving. In that time I could've walked.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but I've been following the story since 2012 when it first happened. As with most of these stories, media is all over the story when the news first breaks and people talk about it for days and weeks after, but between the date of the incident and the date of the trial & verdict, many people forget about it so I thought I'd post an update.

This section of Mount Pleasant is fairly narrow with sweeping turns. Driving under the influence at the speeds he was did not leave much room for error. A tragic chain of events indeed. One life lost. Two lives ruined.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/21/motorist-guilty-in-drunken-crash-that-killed-pal#map_canvas

Motorist guilty in drunken crash that killed pal

BY SAM PAZZANO

TORONTO - A motorist who killed his passenger pal when his speeding Land Rover collided with a street pole was found guilty Wednesday of impaired driving and criminal negligence.

Oliver Karafa, 21, lost his buddy and trainer David Chiang when he lost control of his vehicle on Mount Pleasant Rd., near Stibbard Ave., shearing it in half on April 3, 2012.

Although he was wearing a seatbelt, Chiang’s body was propelled from the vehicle — which was hurtling at least double the 50 km/h speed limit at impact, Justice Gary Trotter said in his judgment.

The Extreme Fitness trainer, 24, who suffered massive head injuries, died instantly, added Trotter. Karafa walked away unscathed.

Some Toronto Police officers breached Karafa’s rights to counsel by not informing him that he was facing impaired driving causing death charges, the judge said.

This serious, intentional breach was perpetrated by four officers over an extended period of time, said Trotter, who noted that while Karafa was being booked, the officers “pretended that Chiang was still alive.”

The breach led to the elimination of the first breathalyzer sample, but the second sample was salvaged by the “commendable actions” of Det.-Const. Carl Andersen, said Trotter.

Andersen rectified the problem by advising Karafa of his “true jeopardy and encouraging him to exercise his rights to counsel,” said Trotter.

Andersen had warned Karafa he would be charged with impaired driving causing death and might be going to jail.

Karafa did obtain legal advice and complied with the second breath sample. Andersen’s actions “severed the link between the earlier breach” and the collection of the second, Charter-compliant sample, ruled Trotter.

Karafa was found guilty of impaired driving, dangerous driving and criminal negligence causing death as well as other related charges.

It’s estimated that Karafa consumed between 200 mg and 270 mg of alcohol before driving. Trotter will decide Monday whether to revoke Karafa’s bail and set his sentencing date.

Apparently the fastest growing jobs area is Yonge-Eg:

https://twitter.com/jen_keesmaat/status/472028614041796608

This doesn't sound right at all, Y&E was the worst node in midtown (i.e. compared to Yonge and St. Clair and Yonge and Bloor) with the highest vacany rate, and lot of that came in 2012/14 ... where is the source for that ? We could have added that many jobs while loosing a whole lot more.

The # sounds WAY off too .... 4,320, would more people then the entire RIO Can center at Y&E ... lets do some math, that makes no sense, there isn't even that much inventory in this corridor ... and again many buildings in the area have over 15%->20% vacany.

More proof - thomas cook left the area, that's a whole 70K returned to the market, more tenants like this left too (smaller size).

I smell complete BS.

EDIT:

I found the source:
http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/City%20Planning/SIPA/Files/pdf/S/survey2013.pdf

Interesting #s there ... interestingly enough many seem accurate, showing a lot of suburban jobs slowly loosing jobs since 2008 (at a very slow rate mind you).
But I still call BS on the 2013 #s for Yonge and Eglinton, it just doesn't add up at all given what I know about the vacancy rates which increased throughout 2013. Now I know these stats cover both retail + office + self employeed, but even retail, very little growth in the area, there just aren't many new stores at all.

Last edited:
4P9VwgM.jpg

Any thoughts on combining this thread with the Midtown Toronto thread in a combined "Midtown / Yonge & Eglinton" thread or would people just prefer they be separate, despite the obvious overlap?

Any thoughts on combining this thread with the Midtown Toronto thread in a combined "Midtown / Yonge & Eglinton" thread or would people just prefer they be separate, despite the obvious overlap?

I'm fine with combining, although, to me the term "midtown" also includes places like Yonge & St Clair.

Did you mean to post this over at the Y&E thread?

I think it would be preferable to leave as is. There are conflicting views as to what "Midtown" is, but I think there is general agreement that it is a large, broad area (agree with ehlow), and it includes other significant intersections/neighbourhoods. It's nice to have a specific Y&E thread for all changes happening in that particular area. We often have this overlap issue, and it always works just fine.

Random questions folks, the rosehill reservoir ! Is the large water feature on top of it every on !?!

fountain_468.jpg

It's a great park ! Huge, similar to the water reservoir on St. Clair West ... but this is SOO close to Yonge, maybe 1 block ... but the giant water feature (which extents across the entire park, never seems on ..)

It's a great park ! Huge, similar to the water reservoir on St. Clair West ... but this is SOO close to Yonge, maybe 1 block ... but the giant water feature (which extents across the entire park, never seems on ..)

Thanks I'll take a look next time I go running down there. One thing I like about midtown is there are so many great parks.

Back