News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

Midtown Toronto

What else has closed down besides Vita Sociale?

There are quite a few long term leases that have been available. I'm sure there are over 10 sites available, and the BMO large site as well (no tenants lined up as far as I'm aware).
Foot locker looks like its about to close to among a couple other.

But again this is pretty normal, I mean 10 years back or so there was like 0 space available on the Yonge stretch of Eglinton and Lawrence, but now both seem to have a lot more turnover and spots available on and off.

I wonder if they increased rents too much, and don't care about empty spots.

The little cafe next door (Patisserie Cafe) to Vita Sociale is also closed. the Footlocker is going under, and there are a couple more farther up. Just seems like more than coincidence.

The little cafe next door (Patisserie Cafe) to Vita Sociale is also closed. the Footlocker is going under, and there are a couple more farther up. Just seems like more than coincidence.

Yep but, its a lot more than there was say 5 years ago, 5 years ago this whole strip and the Lawrence strip were always nearly 100% full.

But again this is pretty normal, I mean 10 years back or so there was like 0 space available on the Yonge stretch of Eglinton and Lawrence, but now both seem to have a lot more turnover and spots available on and off.

Yep but, its a lot more than there was say 5 years ago, 5 years ago this whole strip and the Lawrence strip were always nearly 100% full.

I find it the same way with the Danforth. It's cyclical. Every few years there seem to be more vacant/for lease storefronts than other years, almost always in January and February (presumably some leases end at the end of the calendar year, while in some cases I assume some stores and restaurants hold out for the holiday season). Rising rents are probably a big factor. The province's Vacancy Rebate Application program, which started in 2001, is a big factor. Landlords get a property tax rebate when their commercial property (or part thereof) is vacant, so there isn't necessarily the same incentive to hold onto existing tenants or lease the space quickly as there was before 2001. It allows some landlords to be more speculative than they otherwise might have been, holding out for the highest rent they can.

What does this have to do with midtown Toronto ? 585 Yonge ?

Good question, taal. To be fair, though, and as has been discussed on this thread ad nauseum, "midtown Toronto" can mean different things, and there was a time in Toronto's history where Yonge and Carlton/College/Wellesley was referred to as midtown. Might be more helpful to direct Celeste to the downtown Yonge thread.

And, please God, don't anyone take this post of mine as encouragement to launch into yet another pointless discussion of what is midtown, uptown, downtown, etc....:p

hehe I won't but another question, why is this bad news, I didn't think the store that used to occupy it was anything to write home about ? Should be an improvement.

Not on topic, but I've always preferred the rather stately character of Mid-town, in contrast to some of the shabbiness that is visible downtown. Here it is during the current snow fall.

snowdayDavisville_72dpi-1.jpg
snowdayDavisville_72dpi-2.jpg
snowdayDavisville_72dpi-4.jpg
snowdayDavisville_72dpi-5.jpg
snowdayDavisville_72dpi-9.jpg

Attachments

• snowdayDavisville_72dpi-1.jpg
    snowdayDavisville_72dpi-1.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 735
  • snowdayDavisville_72dpi-2.jpg
    snowdayDavisville_72dpi-2.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 723
  • snowdayDavisville_72dpi-4.jpg
    snowdayDavisville_72dpi-4.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 731
  • snowdayDavisville_72dpi-5.jpg
    snowdayDavisville_72dpi-5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 710
  • snowdayDavisville_72dpi-9.jpg
    snowdayDavisville_72dpi-9.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 716
Great pictures! I agree with your description, the area is what I call an ideal balance between the shabby, urban and dense downtown and the more green, open suburbs.

Great pics. I like the Davisville yards and the open trench subway. It's really part of the character of midtown to me. Always fun to stand at the various bridges and watch trains go by!

Great pics. I like the Davisville yards and the open trench subway. It's really part of the character of midtown to me. Always fun to stand at the various bridges and watch trains go by!

The open trench subway would make for a great park space. Living walls could be created on the east and west sides.

I'm keeping this post in the 1 Eglinton Ave E thread updated: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/21100-1-Eglinton-Ave-E-(68s)?p=962168#post962168

We are seeing approximately 20 buildings under construction, development or application stage in the Midtown area, with potential for more what with the Eglinton Bus Bays and few remaining parking spots in the area. With the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown, development will only spread and intensify east and west of Yonge.

With Yonge+Eglinton looking to become a very high density node at the intersection of two subway lines, and with intensification in all directions throughout Midtown, are we beginning to see the makings of a Midtown Core that can complement the Downtown Core?
The difference is Yonge and Eglinton is so ugly

Back