News   Jul 16, 2024
 638     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 576     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I don't really get the whole deal about Open payments. How open is open payments really?

Very open. Visa, Mastercard, Amex, any bank.

If they do bank cards you get nicked with fees.

If your credit card has no fees then there are no fees. If your credit card gives you points you get points. If your bank account gives you a certain number of Interac payments free then its free. If you don't have credit you can get a Vanilla Mastercard, Vanilla Visa, or ZoomPass Mastercard... you can get them at Canada Post, Shoppers, no ID required. The TTC or Metrolinx could offer their own prepaid credit card.

And have they figured out how to do contactless payments with debit cards, without requiring a PIN (that would really slow down the line)?

Yes.

And credit cards have age and income requirements.

Not prepaid cards.

In this sense, Presto is best because it's accessible to any and all. I get the concern about tourists, but they could easily be dealt with by selling pre-paid fare cards.

Any and all by going out of your way to get a new card when your wallet already has cards.

Last edited:
The assumption seems to be that Translink's open payment cost estimate is much lower than TTC's? Translink is about $170 million. Do we know what the bid TTC received from their tender was? I thought it was within their budget ... so presumably cheaper per unit than Translink.

don't quote me, but I believe the tender toronto received cost $50 - 70 million, is what i've gathered through reports I've read.

don't quote me, but I believe the tender toronto received cost $50 - 70 million, is what i've gathered through reports I've read.
Yes seems like ... basically just the operating cost. Far cheaper that Presto (though Ontario pays the operating cost for that).

From the information that i have acquired from a very reliable and influential source.

Presto had always been something that TTC liked to use as leverage to trick money out of the provincial governments. The funding (for the street cars, LRVs, new busses, Transit City) that the TTC had received from the province, and federally, have all been based on the condition that the TTC will implement Presto. The TTC, as smart as it was, however, was never fully committed to the Presto system and the transit commission had always been fully willing to take the province's money and then screw them over. Open payment was one of tools that the TTC was contemplating to employ for the screwing action. Of course, the TTC’s excuse for Open Payment was that the financial institutions were willing to donate the fixed assets needed to implement the Open Payment system where as the fixed assets for Presto would have to be paid for by the TTC.

King R. Ford, when he took over, thought to continue using Presto for prying money out of the province to pay for his Sheppard subway extension, and the Open Payment system once again become a leverage for the prying work.

On the other hand, everyone at the TTC had probably always understood the fact that the TTC would eventually have to adopt the presto system because TTC adoption is the essential component that would make the entire system useful. As the neighboring regions have all installed the hardware on their busses along with the fact that the province have practically kow-towed to every TTC demand over the past 6 years, not adopting Presto would spell absolutely political armageddon for not only the commission, but also the city and its mayor. Therefore, all this talk about Open Payment or any other stuff were simply fluff political power play that the TTC tossed around to get as much pricks as possible.

From my understanding, I believe that investment cost for TTC’s presto hardware will be funded by a loan from the province, which will be paid back by the interest income earned by the pre-sale float on the fares. The float, which currently includes payments on monthly passes and tokens and stands at a ridiculously large number, should only grow larger as people start depositing money onto their presto card. The management of this float will most likely be transferred from the TTC to the Metrolinx.

Last edited:
Sad, the central city loses to the suburbs again. Toronto is becoming like an American city. Transit is supposed to be urban, but now it is being shaped by suburbanites according to suburban ideals.

Sad, the central city loses to the suburbs again. Toronto is becoming like an American city. Transit is supposed to be urban, but now it is being shaped by suburbanites according to suburban ideals.

3.2-Share-of-GTA-Employment_pie_chart.jpg

/enough info.

trend towards jobs shifting outside of Toronto. It is more important now, than ever to have coordination between Toronto and it's suburbs (or i guess employment districts)

That data doesn't necessarily demonstrate that jobs are being shifted; just that more new jobs are being created in 905 than 416.

Do you have the data for total jobs?

Your numbers show that Toronto's share of GTA (York, Durham, Peel, Halton, Toronto) employment dropped 14% from 65% to 51%. However if you look at simple population changes, Toronto's share of GTA population dropped only 13.2% from 58.7% to 45.4%; even though Toronto's actual population grew by 14.5%!

So I'm not seeing a shift in jobs, just that Toronto hasn't grown as fast as the surrounding 905 communities.

(used 1986 and 2006 census population figures for Toronto, Durham, York, Peel, and Halton from www.rccao.com/news/files/RCCAO_NOV10_REPORT_LOWRES.pdf)

That data doesn't necessarily demonstrate that jobs are being shifted; just that more new jobs are being created in 905 than 416.

Do you have the data for total jobs?

Your numbers show that Toronto's share of GTA (York, Durham, Peel, Halton, Toronto) employment dropped 14% from 65% to 51%. However if you look at simple population changes, Toronto's share of GTA population dropped only 13.2% from 58.7% to 45.4%; even though Toronto's actual population grew by 14.5%!

So I'm not seeing a shift in jobs, just that Toronto hasn't grown as fast as the surrounding 905 communities.

(used 1986 and 2006 census population figures for Toronto, Durham, York, Peel, and Halton from www.rccao.com/news/files/RCCAO_NOV10_REPORT_LOWRES.pdf)

sorry I shouldn't have used the word "shifting" i meant to say more new jobs being created outside the 416. I know the data is a bit dated being from 2006. I'd have to actually look at the individual numbers to definitely say how much growth in population compared to jobs, but I don't think there's a doubt that there have been tremendous amounts of companies opting for the 905 over the 416, in the past decade or so.

sorry I shouldn't have used the word "shifting" i meant to say more new jobs being created outside the 416. I know the data is a bit dated being from 2006. I'd have to actually look at the individual numbers to definitely say how much growth in population compared to jobs, but I don't think there's a doubt that there have been tremendous amounts of companies opting for the 905 over the 416, in the past decade or so.

This is expected as Toronto is out of space. It's somewhat difficult to build factories in the form of 30 story highrises.

The key now is to provide enough public service and life style so that people will still choose to reside inside Toronto's boarders.

It's not a shift.

There are just more companies (warehouses or office purposes) opting to go to the 905 as Toronto is out of space. Even Mississauga is starting to tear up parking lots at the Airport Corporate Centre for offices (ex. Aerocentre V aka Target Canada's new HQ). Space-consuming industrial and logistics spaces will go to Peel and York (specifically Brampton, Mississauga and Vaughan) due to their proximity to the airport.

I definitely agree with UD2's posts as it is difficult to build multi-level warehouses and factories, let alone to Toronto's density standards.

It's not a shift.

There are just more companies (warehouses or office purposes) opting to go ...
So the de-industrialization of Toronto and the subsequent industrial growth in the suburbs is not a shift, just a changing expression of companies choice? Isn't that the definition of a shift: change from one thing to another?

So the de-industrialization of Toronto and the subsequent industrial growth in the suburbs is not a shift, just a changing expression of companies choice? Isn't that the definition of a shift: change from one thing to another?
There's certainly been some shifting of jobs over different time periods and within different categories. However there's more jobs in Toronto in 2011 than there was in 1986. Probably not true for some parts of the city - such as certain blocks of Scarborough.

I've noticed the last couple of times that my AutoReload has happened, that it wasn't quite when I expected.

I've set my Threshold Value for $40 (and the load for $40), and I have no default trip.

On Friday evening before I used Presto my balance was $45.14. I tapped on at Danforth and it takes off the $4.20 minimum - balance is $40.94.

I tap off at Exhibition, where it refunds 17¢ (Danforth to Exhibition trip costs $4.03 on Presto) ... so balance is $41.11 - but then looking at the machine when I tap off, I see the $40 Autoload go, and balance is $81.11. Something similar happened during the previous load back in May.

Not a problem, really ... but I'm surprised the Autoload fires when the $40 threshold was never passed. Some shoddy programming I expect.

I've noticed the last couple of times that my AutoReload has happened, that it wasn't quite when I expected.

I've set my Threshold Value for $40 (and the load for $40), and I have no default trip.

On Friday evening before I used Presto my balance was $45.14. I tapped on at Danforth and it takes off the $4.20 minimum - balance is $40.94.

I tap off at Exhibition, where it refunds 17¢ (Danforth to Exhibition trip costs $4.03 on Presto) ... so balance is $41.11 - but then looking at the machine when I tap off, I see the $40 Autoload go, and balance is $81.11. Something similar happened during the previous load back in May.

Not a problem, really ... but I'm surprised the Autoload fires when the $40 threshold was never passed. Some shoddy programming I expect.

maybe there's a feature that auto-reloads when it anticipates that no-matter what trip you take next, you will go over your balance, so it auto loads. Kinda like a safety feature to ensure you never go past the $40 threshold.

Back