News   May 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 991     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I was skimming through university newspapers when I ran across this: R-Card

Essentially, it's Presto....for Regina. I can't open the Regina website for some reason, but that's pretty nifty for a city with only 17 bus routes.

This morning I noticed that two presto readers were installed at Finch station. Finally! I will sign up for a presto card now. Bye bye tockens!

My Transit Usage report became available today on the PRESTO website.

I think the Brampton station (the one with no known time for implementation) is the only one on the Georgetown line not operational!

I had sent Presto an email asking about Brampton. Fully expecting the answer to be something like "well, it is an error that the website does not show an expected date. It is 'X' "

Was really surprised that the answer came back as stating that they are working on it but there is no expected schedule yet.

Anyone know how long it takes to receive the presto card once ordered online?

Despite the ever vague "Spring 2011," do we have a estimate for when GO Buses will getting the Presto readers?

Despite the ever vague "Spring 2011," do we have a estimate for when GO Buses will getting the Presto readers?

Six buses have readers for testing and while they were not yet supposed to be in service with the readers, they did show up during the snowstorm two weeks ago. However, I've heard that there have been some problems discovered before they can go further.

Keep in mind that for space reasons, the Presto devices being used will replace the existing fare equipment completely and so will have to support ticket printing and cancellation as well. This makes them different from what other agencies are using.

Just to notify you guys, on majority of the YRT buses have the Presto reader turned on and displaying: not in service, coming soon. There's an approximate date of launching it on YRT around the end of March, but this has not been confirmed on YRT's site

Last edited:
Presto hasn't been working at Queen's Park station for a few weeks now - is it just my card or is it the actual reader?

Just got my Presto card yesterday. As a TTC only user, it's a shame I have to go to Union just to 'activate' the card against a Load balance checker and then can only use it 24hrs later? WTF kind of technology is that. I can't understand why they built a system that in which I can't use the card simply by having it registered online. I can do this with credit cards, so why the complexity with Presto?

Just got my Presto card yesterday. As a TTC only user, it's a shame I have to go to Union just to 'activate' the card against a Load balance checker and then can only use it 24hrs later? WTF kind of technology is that. I can't understand why they built a system that in which I can't use the card simply by having it registered online. I can do this with credit cards, so why the complexity with Presto?

A few notes:

Someone wrote here a while back that you now can activate your card at any TTC PRESTO terminal. I haven't seen any proof of this, but it's worth a try.

From my experience, once you tap on the balance checker, the card is fully active immediately. You don't have to wait another 24 hours.
I've never seen a credit card you can use as soon as it comes in the mail. It always has a sticker that says "Call this number to activate".
I know PRESTO makes you go to a terminal to activate, but I believe that is because the terminal has to signal the memory chip in the card that it is now enabled and to tell it how much money is on it.

Last edited:
Official Presto launch date on YRT/Viva is March 28th. {It seems to me that YRT will be the first agency to fully implement Presto on the whole system. I could be wrong, but are there any others that will/have Presto fully implemented by March 28?}

Update with the installation of Presto readers:

4 Presto readers are about to be installed outside at the Viva machine at Finch.
1 Presto reader is about to be installed at Promenade and is located in between the two current Viva machines.

Back