News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I tweeted at Metrolinx asking when Presto would be operational on buses. They tweeted back "in the summer". Soooo damn long. Would love not to have to pay full fare everytime. (Buying ten rides isn't convenient for me)

Good news bad news sort of situation here.

Last night I got this email from GO:

Brampton GO Passengers: We have recently started construction at your station to prepare for the installation of equipment for the new Presto Fare System. As a result, 15 parking spaces located on the west side of the north platform will be unavailable until Spring of this year.
We appreciate your patience as we work to improve the amenities at your station.

The good news is obvious....they are going to work on getting Presto to the last station on the G-Town line that does not currently have it. The bad news though....this station has been under construction for some time....to the casual/uninformed observer (ie. most GO riders) it is going to be hard to understand how this work could not have been done as part of the work that was just completed!

Looks like Presto's not going live in York Region Monday after all. I wonder what's going on there...

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/971546--presto-transit-card-delayed

* By Chris Traber
* Mar 24, 2011 - 3:41 PM
PRESTO is a no go.
The state-of-the-art electronic fare system expected to launch Monday on York Region Transit/Viva has been delayed, the York Region Media Group has learned.
PRESTO uses the latest smartcard technology to give commuters a convenient fare payment, all with the tap of a small reloadable plastic card. Transit riders can tap their card on the newly installed readers on the bus or at the station. The system instantly deducts the fare from your card balance.
It’s operational on GO Transit and is being phased in in the Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa transit regions.
York’s transportation services would not give details the postponement or speculate when PRESTO would re-launch.
For more information, visit prestocard.ca

Looks like Presto's not going live in York Region Monday after all. I wonder what's going on there...

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/971546--presto-transit-card-delayed

* By Chris Traber
* Mar 24, 2011 - 3:41 PM
PRESTO is a no go.
The state-of-the-art electronic fare system expected to launch Monday on York Region Transit/Viva has been delayed, the York Region Media Group has learned.
PRESTO uses the latest smartcard technology to give commuters a convenient fare payment, all with the tap of a small reloadable plastic card. Transit riders can tap their card on the newly installed readers on the bus or at the station. The system instantly deducts the fare from your card balance.
It’s operational on GO Transit and is being phased in in the Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa transit regions.
York’s transportation services would not give details the postponement or speculate when PRESTO would re-launch.
For more information, visit prestocard.ca

The bad news though....this station has been under construction for some time....to the casual/uninformed observer (ie. most GO riders) it is going to be hard to understand how this work could not have been done as part of the work that was just completed!
The same thing happened at Pickering. The Presto installation crews were not granted access to the station until construction was completed.

From Facebook:

York Region Transit, as well as Hamilton Street Railway and Brampton Transit are all going live with PRESTO this spring. It's not this month but it will be soon. We will post the dates as soon as they are finalized

The plan roll out of the Presto System for Mississauga Transit this weekend has been push back to the end of April, if not longer.

So far, none of the big transit system in the 905 have been able to roll out their system as schedule.

Not a fan of Presto, but one for a smart card that works.

The plan roll out of the Presto System for Mississauga Transit this weekend has been push back to the end of April, if not longer.

So far, none of the big transit system in the 905 have been able to roll out their system as schedule.

Not a fan of Presto, but one for a smart card that works.

Presto does work... I've been using it for almost a year now.

Presto never intended to roll out on MT until April. They have been saying April 18th for months now, and that date still stands.

We probably didn't need it - but more proof that Presto is run by morons.

I got an e-mail asking me to take a survey.

One of the questions:

Note the lack of indication if 1 is agree or disagree.

Which means the results of the survey will be meaningless ...

I don't wanna be snide but I think most people would figure out 1 is "disagree" and 10 is "agree."
The whole "bigger number=more positive" thing is pretty firmly entrenched, isn't it?

And what IS going on with all the 905 systems pushing back their rollouts?

I don't wanna be snide but I think most people would figure out 1 is "disagree" and 10 is "agree."
The whole "bigger number=more positive" thing is pretty firmly entrenched, isn't it?
I couldn't ... I changed my answer a couple of times ...

I've seen surveys where the 1 was good, and the 10 was bad. Normally when you rank something, the something you rank 1 is good, and the 10 is bad.

Perhaps it was obvious to the survey makers ... however unless it's made clear to the taker (and it wasn't), then the data is of little value - at least for that question.

I couldn't ... I changed my answer a couple of times ...

I've seen surveys where the 1 was good, and the 10 was bad. Normally when you rank something, the something you rank 1 is good, and the 10 is bad.

Perhaps it was obvious to the survey makers ... however unless it's made clear to the taker (and it wasn't), then the data is of little value - at least for that question.

Totally agree...it does not matter if 1 is good or 10 is good but if there is any doubt about which it is (even if that doubt is only amongst some percentage of the respondents) the results are statistically meaningless.

Totally agree...it does not matter if 1 is good or 10 is good but if there is any doubt about which it is (even if that doubt is only amongst some percentage of the respondents) the results are statistically meaningless.

A 1 to 10 scale is also inappropriate for this rather simple question.
You are giving the survey takers 10 options to explain if something was easy or not. You have to guess what they mean by picking a number like 4 or 7.

Last edited:

Back