News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

If anyone's interested, here's a closeup of the Presto reader at the Dufferin Viva stop.

attachment.php

Here's something odd. I took a trip to Mimico Go Stn from union a few days ago. PRESTO charged me $3.98. For the return trip, I was charged $4.30. Why would it cost more? I am hoping there's an explanation, but I have a sinking feeling that there are some bugs in the code that still haven't been worked out.

Here's something odd. I took a trip to Mimico Go Stn from union a few days ago. PRESTO charged me $3.98. For the return trip, I was charged $4.30. Why would it cost more? I am hoping there's an explanation, but I have a sinking feeling that there are some bugs in the code that still haven't been worked out.
The Presto price for that trip is $3.98. $4.30 is the single ticket price - but Presto isn't supposed to use that.

I'd phone them up and query the charge - looks like a mistake in their database.

After explaining to the PRESTO customer service rep that GO offers a discount to its cash fare rate for PRESTO customers, the rep agreed I had been overcharged and said that it would be corrected.
What bugs me is that while the rep seemed to be happy to credit back my thirty two cents, there seemed to be no concern over the fact that the system did not work properly.
I suppose it is beyond the capacity of the rep to do anything about it, but how will I know it will ever be fixed? I now have to check every transaction to see if I was charged correctly.

After explaining to the PRESTO customer service rep that GO offers a discount to its cash fare rate for PRESTO customers, the rep agreed I had been overcharged and said that it would be corrected.
What bugs me is that while the rep seemed to be happy to credit back my thirty two cents, there seemed to be no concern over the fact that the system did not work properly.
I suppose it is beyond the capacity of the rep to do anything about it, but how will I know it will ever be fixed? I now have to check every transaction to see if I was charged correctly.

Could this explain why?

https://www.prestocard.ca/en/StaticContent/Faq/#Q17

That actually is what demionstrates there is a problem. My transaction record looks like this:

Union Station -$4.20
Mimico Station +$0.22
Mimico Station -$4.20
Union Station -$0.10

The first trip I was charged $3.98, the GO cash fare less the 7.5% PRESTO discount.
The second trip I was charged $4.30, the GO cash fare with no PRESTO discount.

Anyway, PRESTO has now responded through their customer disservice feedback system saying that my inquiry "is in regards to features exclusive to GO transit" and that they have told GO to send me a $0.32 voucher. Needless to say, my reply to that BS will be copied to local media. I don't care about the $0.32, I care about the system simply not working properly! I want to hear that someone at Acenture is going to fix this or at least or explain why it happened.

Last edited:
in korea, they also have a card very similar to Presto. It's called the T-Money card. It can be used in almost any transportation mode, be it subway, train, high speed train, local busses, express busses, or even taxis. All those transportation modes are operated disparately by different organizations (similar to the GTA) but use one fare system. You tap in when you enter your mode of transportation, and then you tap out when leave (very convenient) You can also use cash fare or tickets, but using the T-Money card nets some a discount on your fare (maybe around 20 cents in Canada dollars). I was very impressed with the fluidity of payment there. I could even walk into a convienience store and buy groceries with the T-Money card!

http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/932847--no-magic-in-presto-hazel

* Torstar Network * Jan 24, 2011 - 7:55 AM

No magic in Presto: Hazel

Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion called the province's new Presto fare card system a "disaster" during a City budget committee meeting, in part because the TTC hasn't entirely bought in.
Martin Powell, Mississauga's Commissioner of Transportation and Works, also lamented the inter-regional fare card's "complicated fare structure."
In April, when Presto becomes operational on buses city-wide, Mississauga Transit will still have the cost of operating a parallel fare system, said Transit Director Geoff Marinoff, because many of the city's bus riders don't have a way to easily top up their cards.
Although that top-up technology is being developed, its current absence means "our aspiration of going 100 per cent Presto is going to take some time," Marinoff said.
Even if Presto were fully adopted by Mississauga's bus riders, "until the TTC accepts the Presto card, it's not going to work. It's going to be ad hoc," McCallion said.
The Presto card, introduced last summer, is a new "smart" fare card, designed to allow commuters to travel easily between different transit systems.
Transit users go to a machine and, with their debit or credit card or cash, they purchase a smart card which they can then load with currency. It is then swiped or tapped as you get on or off a bus, subway or streetcar.
Readers can simply tap on green readers at stations and on buses to have the correct fare deducted on each leg of a trip, including local buses, GO Transit and some Toronto Transit Commission stations.

Haha, TTC causing distress to the suburbs, I love it. I hope the TTC never implements Presto, just to stick it to the fat suburbanites and their fat SUVs. Any loss for the 905 is a victory for the 416, I say.

Haha, TTC causing distress to the suburbs, I love it. I hope the TTC never implements Presto, just to stick it to the fat suburbanites and their fat SUVs. Any loss for the 905 is a victory for the 416, I say.

Yup that makes so much sense... Those suburbanites with their fat SUV's should be assured that public transit is so bad that they should never ever make the switch... Yes...then it would be a victory for the 416 because all of us 905'ers can clog up each and every one of your streets... Victory it will be...While you sit stuck in your slow TTC bus as we suburbanites gridlock Toronto roads...

And hey, you get to breath in the majestic air that spews from the 401 every morning... Ahh so great! Why? Cuz Suburbanites should be punished for choosing the most economical and quickest means of travel...

What a Victory it would be...

[/sarcasm]

The more that people in the 416 think like this...the more it will surely collapse...and become the largest ghost town in the country

Last edited:
I feel like many would forget or not know how many zones they're travelling... why don't they just use a tap on, tap off system?

Because the vast majority of people only travel 1 zone. The only route passing through multiple zones is Viva Blue, so it really wouldn't be worth inconveniencing the entire YRT/Viva system for the benefit of a few hundred trips per day.

I sincerely apologize for having the area code 905. I should never live somewhere that allows me a short commute by bike or bus. I should live in the 416 and spend an hour commuting by car everyday.

Adam Giambrone, is that you?

BTW, either enjoy paying for your grossly overpriced pass, or here's hoping you don't misplace any tokens between now and when the TTC finally gets on board with Presto.

I feel like many would forget or not know how many zones they're travelling... why don't they just use a tap on, tap off system?

There's a map at each Viva stop which tells you if you are travelling between zones or not. The zone boundaries are also easy to understand: southern York Region (Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Brampton), central York Region (Aurora and Newmarket), and northern York Region (Georgina).

There's a map at each Viva stop which tells you if you are travelling between zones or not. The zone boundaries are also easy to understand: southern York Region (Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Brampton), central York Region (Aurora and Newmarket), and northern York Region (Georgina).
I've never taken transit in York. Do not the zones apply to the other York bus routes?

I apologize if this repeats a previous question. With the implementation of a card system, presto or otherwise, how many ticket takers per station can be eliminated? This is not belligerence; I would expect one of the prime benefits of presto is for taxpayers to realize some efficiencies in paying to service a machine, by a market driven company, rather than paying union-backed people to sit and collect tokens and tickets. I guess we need to know the average number of ticket takers per station. I don't think it's necessarily a whole number because there would be additional staff present at some locations for rush hour.

I started to think more seriously about this last week when I took the SRT/Subway downtown from STC. I wanted to buy two tokens at STC, but the ticket taker wouldn't sell me two and there is no token machine at STC. I mentioned to the ticket taker that if I could buy two tokens at one time, I wouldn't need to stand in line on my way back. He refused. Fortunately, on my way back there was a token machine. I mentioned the scenario to the rush hour token monitor (i.e. the guy that sits at a gate rather than in a booth). He said I had a point. But I think the point, really, is that a machine can register our transit payments just as well as a human and don't need to take pee breaks. I think we should install permanent happy faces on our presto machines :D

Back