News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Just boarded a GO bus where the driver printed my ticket from the PRESTO machine. They must be getting closer to implementationan.

They should make it so that all the Ontario transit agencies send their route, stop, and schedule information to Presto which would combine it into a single feed to Google Transit. I don't know how they would properly send fare information to Google on feeds that aren't combined when they have discounts when transferring to or from GO and allow reboarding a TTC route fare free at a GO station.

Presto is now operational on the GO Stouffville Line but only at Centennial, Agincourt and Kennedy stations.
Anyone know when Presto at GO Unionville will be operational?

Last edited:
Anyone know when Presto at GO Unionville will be operational?

When it's ready. That's not a snarky answer, but reality. The Presto staff at GO are getting a day or two notice of stations being ready for go-live (e.g. installed and passed all testing).

When it's ready. That's not a snarky answer, but reality. The Presto staff at GO are getting a day or two notice of stations being ready for go-live (e.g. installed and passed all testing).

Hopefully before the end of the month so I don't have to buy a May Monthly Pass.

I wonder what kind of background stuff they have going on with this system with respect to monitoring ridership patterns, etc. I'm just curious if they'll be able to get any type of relevant ridership data from people using PRESTO, or if the data is too infrequent or has too many gaps in it to be able to extract anything from it. Just seems to me like this is a pretty big opportunity to track how someone travels, especially if they tap in multiple locations across multiple different systems.

Presto/Metrolinx/whoever should be encouraging all the transit systems that connect with GO to use the Presto card as well. Places like Peterborough, Kitchener-Waterloo, Niagara Falls, Barrie, St Catharines... maybe eventually there could be a provincial standard payment system (apart from cash)?

Presto/Metrolinx/whoever should be encouraging all the transit systems that connect with GO to use the Presto card as well. Places like Peterborough, Kitchener-Waterloo, Niagara Falls, Barrie, St Catharines... maybe eventually there could be a provincial standard payment system (apart from cash)?

I definitely agree with this. Not only those who connect with GO, but those who connect with those systems that connect to GO (Welland for example...)

So, these should join in as well:
- GRT
- Guelph
- Milton
- Niagara Falls
- St. Catharines
- Welland
- Orangeville
- Barrie
- Peterborough

and eventually, when connected by GO Bus/Train:
- Brantford
- Halton Hills (if they are contemplating one)
- Caledon (if they are contemplating one)
- Bradford (if they are contemplating one)
- Innisfil (if they are contemplating one)
- Orillia
- Midland
- Wasaga Beach
- Collingwood
- Lindsay
- Port Hope
- Cobourg

...and the full participation of the obvious one (TTC).

Last edited:
Here are some roll out dates
Hamilton HRS May 2
Mount Joy May 4
Markham May 6
Unionville May 11
Milliken May 13
Niagara Falls May 18
St Catharines May 18
Brampton Week of May 23
GO buses summer 2011
Ottawa Spring 2012
MT, Brampton and YRT still delay on fare intergation between system and other issues. Still Spring 2011
and bringing up the rear, TTC date is unknown, but will not be 2012

The printers for the presto machines are quite slow. It took nearly 10 seconds to print out a transfer.

Just curious what system you tried that on. I experienced the same on Burlington Transit about a year ago. I thought they would have worked out a little kink like that by now.
I have seen GO bus drivers using the system to print tickets and their machines seemed to be much faster.

Here are some roll out dates
Hamilton HRS May 2
Mount Joy May 4
Markham May 6
Unionville May 11
Milliken May 13
Niagara Falls May 18
St Catharines May 18
Brampton Week of May 23
GO buses summer 2011
Ottawa Spring 2012
MT, Brampton and YRT still delay on fare intergation between system and other issues. Still Spring 2011
and bringing up the rear, TTC date is unknown, but will not be 2012

Thanks for the info! :)

Just curious what system you tried that on. I experienced the same on Burlington Transit about a year ago. I thought they would have worked out a little kink like that by now.
I have seen GO bus drivers using the system to print tickets and their machines seemed to be much faster.

It was on Brampton Transit.

Back