News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 400     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I haven't read the details about PRESTO, and I've never bought a card, but does PRESTO take transfers into account? For example, if you're on a TTC bus, go to a different neighborhood, and then go to a subway station within the usual few minutes later when you tap it doesn't take another fare out, right??

I haven't read the details about PRESTO, and I've never bought a card, but does PRESTO take transfers into account? For example, if you're on a TTC bus, go to a different neighborhood, and then go to a subway station within the usual few minutes later when you tap it doesn't take another fare out, right??
TTC doesn't have PRESTO ... except at 12 subway stations. So there are no transfer rules set up for TTC.

TTC doesn't have PRESTO ... except at 12 subway stations. So there are no transfer rules set up for TTC.

Seeing as the TTC example was just an example...

Yes Presto does take into account transfers, on the transit systems that have fully implemented Presto.

Perhaps you could give an example of which transit sytem PRESTO is currently handling bus to subway transfers!
Oakville. I'm pretty sure others do, too (Burlington?) but Oakville is the only one I know for 100% fact since friends have used it and we've looked at the transactions on their Presto account to validate that the co-fare was properly applied.

Oakville. I'm pretty sure others do, too (Burlington?) but Oakville is the only one I know for 100% fact since friends have used it and we've looked at the transactions on their Presto account to validate that the co-fare was properly applied.
The original poster asked if "then go to a subway station within the usual few minutes later when you tap it doesn't take another fare out" out. When buses from Burlington and Oakville arrive at the subway (I didn't think any of them did actually), they do have another fare taken out.

The original poster asked if "then go to a subway station within the usual few minutes later when you tap it doesn't take another fare out" out. When buses from Burlington and Oakville arrive at the subway (I didn't think any of them did actually), they do have another fare taken out.

No, the original poster asked, "does PRESTO take transfers into account?".

The answer is yes, but if you are on the TTC, Presto isn't fully rolled out so you can't take advantage of that feature yet. But the answer to the original question is still yes.

No, the original poster asked, "does PRESTO take transfers into account?".
I quoted the original post; you can't point out that isn't what he said. He did ask if transfers were taken into account - and then specifically asked about bus to subway transfers. A full answer would be yes, transfers are taken into account, however there's no situation where it is yet doing bus to subway transfers, as no agency that connects to the subway is yet using PRESTO - except GO which doesn't have any transfers between subway and GO services.

Given how limited PRESTO is turning out to be on a complex system, it's hard to say what rules will be in effect if and when it's ever rolled out on TTC. I'd be very surprised if it will ever handle TTC's current transfer rules, so they'll have to change.

Since the TTC is now planning on fully implementing PRESTO, that means in the future transfers (I'm assuming) will be taken into account. thanks for the info, I always buy a TTC day pass or a single fare when I'm in town.

Its a shame that it doesn't work between transit systems, but I suppose it makes sense (such as an Oakville bus transfer to the TTC).

Since the TTC is now planning on fully implementing PRESTO, that means in the future transfers (I'm assuming) will be taken into account.
TTC hasn't announced it is planning to fully implement PRESTO. The City agreed that "Toronto, TTC and Metrolinx would continue working together on mutually agreeable terms to implement Presto fare card system across the TTC". They are still talking - there's been no agreement on where the hundreds of millions of $ to implement would come from, or on time-frame. We are likely years away from seeing full implementation on TTC. They've only agreed for sure that it would be implemented on the Eglinton line.

Its a shame that it doesn't work between transit systems, but I suppose it makes sense (such as an Oakville bus transfer to the TTC).
It can work between systems. I believe that it already allows Oakville users to transfer to Burlington Transit, and allows for reduced fares when Oakville and Burlington users transfer from (and to?) GO. However other than 3 Mississauga Transit lines that connect to GO, it has yet to be implemented on any other transit systems other than at GO Stations and 12 TTC subway stations.

There's two separate issues ... technica/physical implementation and the fare rules. For the most part PRESTO is being implemented without trying to change any fare rules ... so I expect that there won't ever be any free transfers to/from TTC, except perhaps for riders on TTC routes and subways that never enter the City of Toronto.

Probably a stupid question, but why can't we have a single card for everything. How hard can it be for a computer to say this person with SIN such and such has xxx credit, yyy in his bank account, zzz in his bus fare account, 5 books out from the library, a G license, etc. A card is suppose to be smart, right?

Good question! A SIN card is probably out because of the privacy laws (and who ever needs to carry one?). But the never-ending pile of affinity cards, etc., is more than annoying!

Good question! A SIN card is probably out because of the privacy laws (and who ever needs to carry one?). But the never-ending pile of affinity cards, etc., is more than annoying!
In Holland they have unified Social/Fiscal cards, so you get a combo driver's licence and debit/credit card.

Most of Europe requires people to surrender identification when requested.

Back