News   Jun 25, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 657     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

On the TTC bus. Has anyone had an experience where the Presto reader appears to be working (with the big green arrow), but when you go to tap it just doesn't activate?

The driver told me to use it on the next bus. I was happy to oblige and would have offered to try the rear one. In any event I was riding to the subway so free ride for me!

On the TTC bus. Has anyone had an experience where the Presto reader appears to be working (with the big green arrow), but when you go to tap it just doesn't activate?

The driver told me to use it on the next bus. I was happy to oblige and would have offered to try the rear one. In any event I was riding to the subway so free ride for me!
I would check to see if there is a problem with you presto card as I had that happen and it ended up that my card was damaged.

Just had a similar occurrence on the Spadina car. Paid my Presto fare, tried to use transfer machine, it wouldn't work. It demanded I pay again. Same with the other one on the car. Had I known before I boarded, I would have said FU and rode for free.

I and a lot of others are at the point of refusal of bowing to the God of Presto. Treat us right, and we'll do the same. I can't keep phoning TTC and GO every time it screws up. Who's paying for my time? And having to deal with menus that cycle through three times before even getting to the main menu. WTF?

So screw them. Get it right, and so will we.

Just had a similar occurrence on the Spadina car. Paid my Presto fare, tried to use transfer machine, it wouldn't work. It demanded I pay again. Same with the other one on the car. Had I known before I boarded, I would have said FU and rode for free.
I"m confused.

If you paid by Presto on a new streetcar, then if you tap the transfer machine, then nothing should happen. The transfer machines haven't issued paper transfers for those using Presto for a year or so.

You use Presto for the transfer now. Not paper.

The only exception I can think of is TTC Times Two transfers - but the only place I can see that being an issue is if you get off at Union or Dundas West, and get on GO - so simply grab a paper transfer at Union TTC as you leave.

I"m confused.

If you paid by Presto on a new streetcar, then if you tap the transfer machine, then nothing should happen. The transfer machines haven't issued paper transfers for those using Presto for a year or so.

You use Presto for the transfer now. Not paper.

The only exception I can think of is TTC Times Two transfers - but the only place I can see that being an issue is if you get off at Union or Dundas West, and get on GO - so simply grab a paper transfer at Union TTC as you leave.
The problem in this instance isn't Presto, it's the TTC. They own the machines. And they're the ones still screwing up double charging (I was actually triple charged a month back) for transfers when streetcars short-turn on King at Ronces, charge again for the next car running through to Dundas West, and a month ago, when that car had an accident on Roncy, charged again for the shuttle bus when it finally came.

TTC states: "Oh, but you're not supposed to tap on again if it's a short turn". Well perhaps telling that to the drivers might be a good place to start? I've had too many arguments with drivers, and especially after waiting endlessly and my two hour window depleting, to not want a transfer to make them shut up so I can continue on my paid way.

Some drivers are really cool with it, others not. In paper, I trust.

Another example is the Queen car turning at Roncy, and the shuttle bus continuing west from there. Sometimes my Presto account shows a deduction, sometimes not. I just get on the back doors now without tapping, I'm tired of having to justify myself after paying. I only go three stops to Colbourne Lodge before getting off anyway. But I have been dinged a few times for doing that when it should have been a transfer.

... I called Presto and the person ... They said that I could use the one-time refund, but I said no as it would be better to use it for a larger mistake ($12 extra).
Wait ... you called Presto?

Coincidentally, I just did something similar, but called Go Transit, not Presto.

And when they say "one-time" adjustment. They don't necessarily mean "only". I've had 3 or 4 "one-time" adjustments. If you sell Go Transit a reasonable story (based on your travel patterns), they are normally very helpful and friendly, in my experience. At least 2 or 3 of my adjustments have been for things that were entirely my fault - like forgetting to tap out.

(today's error, is I caught a GO Train on Lakeshore East to Union and then changed to a Via Rail Kitchener train. But when I got to Kitchener, I realized, that I should have tapped out at Union ... as tapping out at Kitchener wasn't going to work this time! Entirely my fault - and that's what I told them. But pretty clear from my text tap (to return from Kitchener) that I'd gotten there somehow - and there were no GO Trains at that hour.

The problem in this instance isn't Presto, it's the TTC. They own the machines. And they're the ones still screwing up double charging (I was actually triple charged a month back) for transfers when streetcars short-turn on King at Ronces, charge again for the next car running through to Dundas West, and a month ago, when that car had an accident on Roncy, charged again for the shuttle bus when it finally came.
Which machines? Other than the new faregates, I believe that Presto owns everything (including the green tap device on the new faregates).

Double charging would also be a Presto issue, not TTC (though I haven't seen a good example for a long time - these days, if there's any doubt, the transaction tends to default to a transfer).

You haven't explained the issue here. You tapped on a streetcar (fine) on a Presto-owned tap device. And then tried to get a paper transfer (not allowed) on a Presto-owned fare vending machine (which ironically doesn't take PrestoCard).

What's the issue?

TTC states: "Oh, but you're not supposed to tap on again if it's a short turn". Well perhaps telling that to the drivers might be a good place to start? I've had too many arguments with drivers, and especially after waiting endlessly and my two hour window depleting, to not want a transfer to make them shut up so I can continue on my paid way.
Drivers have been poorly trained - but I've not had any recent objections saying I have to show something when boarding a streetcar - and as I normally (but not always) have a Metropass, I simply walk on the front doors of any streetcar (or 501/505/506 bus currently) without complaint. Living on 506, this happens on a bus multiple times each day, now (sigh ...).

Another example is the Queen car turning at Roncy, and the shuttle bus continuing west from there. Sometimes my Presto account shows a deduction, sometimes not. I just get on the back doors now without tapping, I'm tired of having to justify myself after paying. I only go three stops to Colbourne Lodge before getting off anyway. But I have been dinged a few times for doing that when it should have been a transfer.
But you are not supposed to tap after short-turning. Normally it will work anyways, if one vehicle is a bus, and the other is a streetcar, because of some oddities in the programming - but there is no guarantee.

The TTC instructions are clear:
upload_2018-3-18_19-5-43.png

I'm not sure why you think the system is broken, if you try and do something that you are told not to do, and it doesn't work. That said, TTC has always been good at offering refunds anyways.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-18_19-5-43.png
    upload_2018-3-18_19-5-43.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 302
^I also have nothing but compliments for GO Transit service reps, especially, as @nfitz has stated prior, about the Union Station staff. On the last three occasions of massive card problems, the rep has called the supervisor (this is face to face) and I"ve thought "Uh oh, run-around time"...and it's been the complete opposite. Supers have stated last three times (gist), (and I divulge this with trepidation, but the supers have made it clear they're the ones left to 'make things right' so it's their call)..."Presto told you what??? Oh boy, we know how this goes, we spend hours on the phone to them, they make promises, they don't keep them, you have to come back, waste time and effort and patience to deal with it, these things go round and round and never get resolved. Here's what we're going to do...") and they've been wonderful. They not only understand what's happened to you, but it's happened to others.

Presto is and almost inevitably will be very buggy. It's a shame it's left to the vendor's front lines to deal with it.

The TTC instructions are clear:
So clear, I just Googled for twenty minutes and couldn't find that. I have seen it before, which is why I end-up arguing with drivers, who've been instructed not to do so, about getting on without tapping.

That is *EXACTLY* my bitch. I have (had, I'm getting tired of it, I'd just rather not have to keep justifying myself after paying) the temerity to stand my ground, at one point challenging the driver "Are you denying my boarding with a valid fare?" What I did find in my twenty minute Google is a litany of others having the same problem, albeit it seems to have peaked a year ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/5prunx/psa_if_youre_a_presto_ttc_user_do_not_take/

How about all those who, for some odd reason, don't go onto the internet to read the fine print on what the TTC should make clear before selling a fare? The Flexity has half full when it arrived at Roncy, and almost all of them then waited for the next car, which was a CLRV, and all, like myself, dutifully tapped on. How many of them were "aware of the rules"?

They got suckered! And then when that car had the accident, the driver assured us that we could just "tap on" to the replacement shuttle, we wouldn't be charged again. I was, and I'm sure, by logical extension, that the others were too.

I defer from further comment, someone hasn't got the story straight, and Joe Rider pays for it.

That said, TTC has always been good at offering refunds anyways.
Not been my experience. I've spent up to twenty minutes on the phone, trying to talk to a real person at the TTC, only for an (ostensibly TTC operator) come on the line to say Presto had transferred me to the wrong number. Another ten minutes transpired trying to get past TTC's insufferable menu, that repeats (as does Metrolinx') three times before pressing the "O" gets a real person. With the TTC, last two times, I just gave up. I'll get my money back in other ways from them.

Is that the "wrong" attitude? You betcha, but as I asked in an earlier post in this string "Who pays for my time?". I'd just rather avoid it all, which is what I now do.
Ben SpurrTorstar News ServicePublished on Thu Feb 15 2018
[...]
While the reliability of readers has drastically improved, some other parts of the system are still experiencing hiccups.

TTC staff said Thursday devices on the new streetcars that are supposed to enable riders to pay their fare using tokens, cash, and debit or credit cards are exhibiting “consistently low reliability.”

Automatic Presto gates installed at subway stations have also strained the capacity of the fare card software platform.

The TTC intends to complete the switch to Presto in 2018. A spokesperson for the agency said that it plans to stop selling older fare media like tickets, tokens, and passes “sometime in the middle of this year,” and will stop accepting them by the end of the year.
[...]
http://www.metronews.ca/news/toront...trolinx-argue-over-money-owed-for-presto.html

I would suggest the TTC continue issuing transfers when paying with Presto until such time as the TTC brings in the new two hour transfer rule.

Even though I got on a 510, it was on the QQ leg, and many tourists who didn't understand English were frantically trying to get *either* of the Presto machines on-board the car to work. In all credit due, the ticket canceller was working....

It's bad enough if you speak English to understand WTF? Now take away even that, and it certainly doesn't get better. The machines wouldn't take issued tokens, or accept credit cards for payment.

Yeah, they've sure ironed out the bugs alright...I have pity on these folks, as they ask for help. My only answer to them is: "Take a picture on your phone, and show it to them if someone demands proof of payment".

Last edited:
So clear, I just Googled for twenty minutes and couldn't find that. I have seen it before, which is why I end-up arguing with drivers, who've been instructed not to do so, about getting on without tapping.

That is *EXACTLY* my bitch. I have (had, I'm getting tired of it, I'd just rather not have to keep justifying myself after paying) the temerity to stand my ground, at one point challenging the driver "Are you denying my boarding with a valid fare?" What I did find in my twenty minute Google is a litany of others having the same problem, albeit it seems to have peaked a year ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/5prunx/psa_if_youre_a_presto_ttc_user_do_not_take/

How about all those who, for some odd reason, don't go onto the internet to read the fine print on what the TTC should make clear before selling a fare? The Flexity has half full when it arrived at Roncy, and almost all of them then waited for the next car, which was a CLRV, and all, like myself, dutifully tapped on. How many of them were "aware of the rules"?

They got suckered! And then when that car had the accident, the driver assured us that we could just "tap on" to the replacement shuttle, we wouldn't be charged again. I was, and I'm sure, by logical extension, that the others were too.

I defer from further comment, someone hasn't got the story straight, and Joe Rider pays for it.

Come August, the two-hour transfer rules would be followed (for PRESTO users). You'll just could tap on (or not) as a transfer. The POP (Proof-Of-Payment) would show you would be within the two-hour window for any fare inspector.

Come August, the two-hour transfer rules would be followed (for PRESTO users). You'll just could tap on (or not) as a transfer. The POP (Proof-Of-Payment) would show you would be within the two-hour window for any fare inspector.
Yup, and it can't come too soon. As much as the TTC is pointing fingers at Presto (far from being angels) it's the TTC's own ridiculous intransigence that's further exacerbating an already buggy fare system.

The two hour transfer immediately releases a whole layer of complexity from everyone's lives, not least Presto users.

Last edited:
I would check to see if there is a problem with you presto card as I had that happen and it ended up that my card was damaged.
Hmm... mine has worked 3 times since. Twice on the subway, one time on a bus.

The driver's reaction was almost immediate so maybe he's used to the problem.

Hmm... mine has worked 3 times since. Twice on the subway, one time on a bus.

The driver's reaction was almost immediate so maybe he's used to the problem.
It could very well just have been a glitch with the reader I tapped on 0ne once and it didn't open the gate but later when I checked the presto website it had charged me for the fare.

It could very well just have been a glitch with the reader I tapped on 0ne once and it didn't open the gate but later when I checked the presto website it had charged me for the fare.
In your case, did it beep and the screen give the check mark?

Could have been a motor issue. Damn those motors!

Back