News   Jul 11, 2024
 309     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 533     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 645     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

It would be nice if the TTC came up with a simple set of rules for Presto, wouldn't it. :confused: I always tap when I get on the 510 streetcar inside Spadina station and it shows as a transfer (i.e. no charge), but I haven't been tapping when I board buses that are waiting in bays at subway stations, I guess I should start and see what happens.
I've done it on buses too and had the same result as tapping onto a streetcar in a station.

Last edited:
It would be nice if the TTC came up with a simple set of rules for Presto, wouldn't it. :confused: I always tap when I get on the 510 streetcar inside Spadina station and it shows as a transfer (i.e. no charge), but I haven't been tapping when I board buses that are waiting in bays at subway stations, I guess I should start and see what happens.
When I've tried to tap on the 509 at Union, the driver has always told me not to bother.

The TTC has signs all over the place that pretty clearly say "tap your card whenever you get on a bus or streetcar". I don't think you actually need to do this though - I think they just say that so people's return trips are less likely to be counted as a transfer.

The TTC has signs all over the place that pretty clearly say "tap your card whenever you get on a bus or streetcar". I don't think you actually need to do this though - I think they just say that so people's return trips are less likely to be counted as a transfer.

The plan approved by the Board did include moving to tapping on surface vehicles in fare paid areas and tapping out at fare gates when exiting a Subway Station, both of which I think are unnecessary. unless you are getting on a POP route. I don't think they will ever get riders to start tapping on buses in fare paid terminals.

The plan approved by the Board did include moving to tapping on surface vehicles in fare paid areas and tapping out at fare gates when exiting a Subway Station, both of which I think are unnecessary. unless you are getting on a POP route. I don't think they will ever get riders to start tapping on buses in fare paid terminals.
Its all for the data. Knowing exactly which routes and vehicles the customer took at what time is valuable information to improve service.

Its all for the data. Knowing exactly which routes and vehicles the customer took at what time is valuable information to improve service.

Excellent point as they will be able to get almost real time data as opposed to estimates.

I think the biggest problem right now with Preeto and the TTC is not enough people using it. More pole seem to use tokens, ticket and cash fare still despite every sation, buss and streetcar having it. The TTC needs to start selling preto card at the collectors booths rather then having people go to other locations to buy them. Getting a preto car from Go Transit or UPX is more convent then getting one from the TTC.

Excellent point as they will be able to get almost real time data as opposed to estimates.

I think the biggest problem right now with Preeto and the TTC is not enough people using it. More pole seem to use tokens, ticket and cash fare still despite every sation, buss and streetcar having it. The TTC needs to start selling preto card at the collectors booths rather then having people go to other locations to buy them. Getting a preto car from Go Transit or UPX is more convent then getting one from the TTC.
Your efforts at even basic spell-checking seem to have failed. Why don't you just EDIT your posts if you can't proof read them first. You are verging on becoming the 2nd person I "ignore'. As @PinkLucy said in Post 6777 "Please don't slide back into sloppy."

I just used a Presto card to unlock a Hamilton Bike Share bike today:

It is just RFID card linking for now, for fast unlock, but the firmwares could someday charge directly to the Presto card.

SoBi Hamilton has been advertising this fearure locally:
https://twitter.com/sobihamilton/status/911621937326985216

Last edited:
It's not referring to fare paid areas.

From the link:

ZMqvsuS.jpg

This is interesting. I added funds to my Presto card at 12:30 this afternoon using my online account and the funds showed up just two hours later (possibly sooner, but that was when I used the card). Presto is getting better, in my opinion.

This is interesting. I added funds to my Presto card at 12:30 this afternoon using my online account and the funds showed up just two hours later (possibly sooner, but that was when I used the card). Presto is getting better, in my opinion.
It’s kind of a hit or miss. Sometimes the reload happens within an hour, and sometimes it takes the whole 24hrs

Back