News   Aug 07, 2024
 489     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 400     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 313     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

TTC subcontracted to Metrolinx to install the new fare system. This includes the machines at station stops. (the new faregates were a later TTC-funded add-on).

Read section 3.1.3.4 of the Presto-TTC Master Agreement (December 2012) about "Off-Board SRVMs (Single Ride Vending Machines), starting on page 190 (of 650). - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/presto/Executed_PRESTO-TTC_-_Master_Agreement.pdf

It starts out by saying that:
Off-board SRVMs are PRESTO Devices that allow Customers to purchase a LUM Single or Return trip that is used as Proof Of Payment. Customers may pay for their LUM using either coins or Credit/Debit bank cards. SRVMs do not provide change.

LUM is limited-use media - i.e. the tickets they use now, and the paper single-use Presto tickets they'll have eventually.

So indeed, it is a Presto device, that doesn't take Presto cards. It sells tickets.

hmm since the photo is from 2014, the context makes more sense. i just hope that the conversion is easy and cost effective.

TTC subcontracted to Metrolinx to install the new fare system. This includes the machines at station stops. (the new faregates were a later TTC-funded add-on).

Read section 3.1.3.4 of the Presto-TTC Master Agreement (December 2012) about "Off-Board SRVMs (Single Ride Vending Machines), starting on page 190 (of 650). - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/presto/Executed_PRESTO-TTC_-_Master_Agreement.pdf

It starts out by saying that:
Off-board SRVMs are PRESTO Devices that allow Customers to purchase a LUM Single or Return trip that is used as Proof Of Payment. Customers may pay for their LUM using either coins or Credit/Debit bank cards. SRVMs do not provide change.

LUM is limited-use media - i.e. the tickets they use now, and the paper single-use Presto tickets they'll have eventually.

So indeed, it is a Presto device, that doesn't take Presto cards. It sells tickets.

This makes sense. Thanks

Last week I was taking the 510 Spadina when the streetcar I was on was short turned, I got off and waited for the next streetcar, tapped on and when I checked my account Presto registered that as a transfer, no problem!

That is actual contrary to what is being communicated to customers

"What do I do if I use PRESTO and my streetcar has been short-turned?
If your streetcar has been short-turned, you will need to exit the streetcar you are on and wait for the next card to arrive. When you get onto the new streetcar do not tap your card."

https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/FAQ.jsp

So last night I discovered that you can tap two people into Union Station with a single Presto Card. I was with someone who lost her card and had no cash, and I just had Presto. I simply asked if it was possible and the collector said yes and walked me to the single reader that allowed for a second tap - in all of the TTC apparently. I tapped the first reader, and then tapped on the second one and it deducted a fare for each tap without issue.

Edit: Just looked at my balance and it was actually just counted as a transfer. Weird.

A technical glitch for it to be counted as a transfer, but also a failure to communicate how Presto works to TTC staff. Or the staff member screwed up.

this may be the result of a poorly written tweet. i can see nothing here that has anything to do with presto. i am surprised that they are still rolling out token machines. i thought they were capping new installations
and phasing them out. why waste the extra time to remove and reprogram when its already known it would happen shortly???
The only new ones are going onto the new streetcars since Spadina and Queens Quay they haven't added any more to the system.

It's interesting that none have appeared on any routes except 509/510 yet. They were supposed to appear on all routes.
Not anymore they are now saying they were an interim solution well they didn't have presto on the older flett That plan stopped once they added presto readers to the rest of the streetcar fleet. Originally the plan was that only the new cars would have Presto.

Not anymore they are now saying they were an interim solution well they didn't have presto on the older flett That plan stopped once they added presto readers to the rest of the streetcar fleet. Originally the plan was that only the new cars would have Presto.

That has nothing to do with those machines. The machines being referred to in that comment are the SRVMs, which accept coins, tokens, and credit/debit cars to purchase single-ride cash tickets for the LFLRVs, which do not have operators to accept cash. They were to be installed off-board at many busier stops to allow more passengers to pay before boarding, rather than overwhelming the 2 on-board machines. These machines are not an interim solution as people will still need to be able to pay cash on the new streetcars--if anything, these machines become more necessary as more of the new streetcars enter service on more routes.

Not anymore they are now saying they were an interim solution well they didn't have presto on the older flett. That plan stopped once they added presto readers to the rest of the streetcar fleet.
What's it got to do with Presto? These machines don't take Presto. They sell single fares. What about the contract? It assumes 75 machines at stops.

Originally the plan was that only the new cars would have Presto.
No it wasn't. There are references to them putting them on all existing streetcars throughout the original 650 page master agreement.

That has nothing to do with those machines. The machines being referred to in that comment are the SRVMs, which accept coins, tokens, and credit/debit cars to purchase single-ride cash tickets for the LFLRVs, which do not have operators to accept cash. They were to be installed off-board at many busier stops to allow more passengers to pay before boarding, rather than overwhelming the 2 on-board machines. These machines are not an interim solution as people will still need to be able to pay cash on the new streetcars--if anything, these machines become more necessary as more of the new streetcars enter service on more routes.
Yes, if you walk around you may see the letters TVM painted on sidewalks near a few stops. I assume these will be locations for the Ticket Vending Machines - once they get the new versions working properly.

Yes, if you walk around you may see the letters TVM painted on sidewalks near a few stops. I assume these will be locations for the Ticket Vending Machines - once they get the new versions working properly.
Ah ... I should pay more attention. Which street? (do you venture outside of King East? :) )

Ah ... I should pay more attention. Which street? (do you venture outside of King East? :) )
I sometimes manage to stagger away from King East :)->) and I saw some on King West and on Bathurst a few months ago but must say the ones I remember are at the SAS building on King @ Ontario- but they have gone because the City just laid new sidewalk! (I assume they still plan to put a TVM there but who knows!)

... but must say the ones I remember are at the SAS building on King @ Ontario- but they have gone because the City just laid new sidewalk! (I assume they still plan to put a TVM there but who knows!)
At this point, I'm just hoping they might put in a pole with STOP written on it at that location. :)

This has been the status of the single presto machine in the TTC's busiest transit station for the least several weeks:

cE9aFXT.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/co...oor_station_is_the_busiest_subway_station_in/

Last edited:

Back