News   Jul 16, 2024
 115     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 868     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 994     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

A week ago I posted:
Metrolinx says 98% of Presto card readers now working on TTC buses and streetcars. They want to get it to 99%.

I don't believe this one bit. Over the last several days, almost every bus I rode on had broken presto readers. Half of the readers were not working on the Spadina streetcar that I was on yesterday. Even the ones at Dundas station were broken. I got another free ride today because of it, and a bunch more earlier this week. This should not be happening.

I've only ever encountered one broken Presto machine (a week or two ago). Maybe I'm just lucky. Even then the second machine was working so I was still able to tap on.

Individual experience is not usually very representative of the whole system on any metric imo. I for one have yet to experience a subway delay after half a year of living in Toronto and riding the subway.
I've lived my whole life in Toronto and don't see them as often as people claim they do, but I also don't think of deyal as being major unless it's more then 30 minutes.

Individual experience is not usually very representative of the whole system on any metric imo. I for one have yet to experience a subway delay after half a year of living in Toronto and riding the subway.
Well, we've got two very different individual experiences -- lots of broken machines vs one. And we have Metrolinx saying they're at 98% working capacity. Reality is in the eye of the beholder I guess. And maybe a bit of luck. :confused:

Well, we've got two very different individual experiences -- lots of broken machines vs one. And we have Metrolinx saying they're at 98% working capacity. Reality is in the eye of the beholder I guess. And maybe a bit of luck. :confused:

It's always good to know things are working at 3am. Then again, it's kind of like TTC saying their trains are 90%+ on time, except the unspoken "when it doesn't really matter".

AoD

I figure I have jinxed myself -- from now on, all I will encounter is broken Presto machines!

I figure I have jinxed myself -- from now on, all I will encounter is broken Presto machines!

Consider yourself lucky - this is my experience the last 3 days so far at the subway station: 2 out of 2 broken readers; 1 out of 2 broken readers; 2 out of 2 broken readers. At evening rush.

AoD

This from Joe Mihevc's newsletter:

PRESTO fare gate construction will be starting at the south auto entrance, at St Clair West Station in early January and at the main entrance in early March.

Went from Don Mills and Steeles to Kennedy and Steeles, local bus. Returned an hour and a half later on express bus. Counted as transfer

I haven't heard anything about the progress of Presto deployment on TTC buses recently, but I tweeted Brad today and he replied they're still on track for Dec 31. He also confirmed the temporary reader is being set up at Coxwell in lieu of new gates for now.

TTC has now updated their presto page stating that all wheel trans vehicles have presto now and that all stations have presto. However, the temporary reader at Coxwell has yet to be set up.

TTC has now updated their presto page stating that all wheel trans vehicles have presto now and that all stations have presto. However, the temporary reader at Coxwell has yet to be set up.

Interesting--not only is Coxwell not online but I haven't seen a tweet from either prestocard or ttcnotices stating that Leslie's gates are online.

Interesting--not only is Coxwell not online but I haven't seen a tweet from either prestocard or ttcnotices stating that Leslie's gates are online.

Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Someone jumped the gun saying all are enabled.

Coxwell can be forgiven for having a temp reader. The bus loop reconstruction undoubtedly throws things into chaos.

Back