News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 770     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Reading between the lines, it is a timed-transfer - but they set it so you couldn't tap on the same route twice without a new fare.

How then 2 stations on Yonge Street isn't a second fare then, I don't know.

This should be interesting ... but will certainly save me some cash!

Reading between the lines, it is a timed-transfer - but they set it so you couldn't tap on the same route twice without a new fare.

Considering that existing transfer rules don't technically allow a subway-surface-subway transfer (according to the rules printed on the back of transfers obtained at stations), I'm very surprised that this was allowed!

Maybe they implemented it so that you couldn't get on the same streetcar route twice, but did nothing about subways...not sure though.

Shhh! Don't let the TTC know. Two hour transfers might just get implemented by accident!

TTC will be perfectly fine with that if Presto gives them the funding gap. If Presto refuses and council doesn't step up, then it'll either be service reductions or fare increases; sizeable token fare increase too since Metropass holders get zero benefit.

In streetcar deployment news, I saw 2 510 CLRVs in a row leave Union with Presto readers active/live, seemingly accepting taps, and the "Presto Ready" sticker in the window. They're in the minority, but not all that rare.

I've seen streetcars in 4 different states so far:

a) Nothing installed
b) installed but not active
c) Installed, active no sticker
d) Installed with Presto Ready sticker.

I've also noticed the TTC has put new POP decals on its Transfer machines in the subway stations. And, I remember there being discussion about the UPX issuing different presto card, I got it today and it's very different:

presto.jpg

I've seen streetcars in 4 different states so far:

a) Nothing installed
b) installed but not active
c) Installed, active no sticker
d) Installed with Presto Ready sticker.

I've also noticed the TTC has put new POP decals on its Transfer machines in the subway stations. And, I remember there being discussion about the UPX issuing different presto card, I got it today and it's very different:

presto.jpg

I thought (think?) those were intended to be limited edition "get them while their hot" type cards that came out with the launch of UP....the fact they are still available probably just confirms that ridership take up on the UP has been slower than expected.

Considering that existing transfer rules don't technically allow a subway-surface-subway transfer (according to the rules printed on the back of transfers obtained at stations), I'm very surprised that this was allowed!
How does a trip like this work then?

2 transfers

Leaving at 1:24pm from
ttc-icon-route-access.gif
DON MILLS STATION - WESTBOUND PLATFORM
Using these routes
Subway-m.gif
LINE 4 (SHEPPARD)
bus-m.gif
bike.gif
WEST - 196 YORK UNIVERSITY ROCKET EXPRESS towards YORK UNIVERSITY via DOWNSVIEW STATION
Subway-m.gif
LINE 1 (YONGE-UNIVERSITY)
Arriving at 2:00pm at GLENCAIRN STATION - SOUTHBOUND PLATFORM

How does a trip like this work then?

2 transfers

Leaving at 1:24pm from
DON MILLS STATION - WESTBOUND PLATFORM
Using these routes
Subway-m.gif
LINE 4 (SHEPPARD)
bus-m.gif
bike.gif
WEST - 196 YORK UNIVERSITY ROCKET EXPRESS towards YORK UNIVERSITY via DOWNSVIEW STATION
Subway-m.gif
LINE 1 (YONGE-UNIVERSITY)
Arriving at 2:00pm at GLENCAIRN STATION - SOUTHBOUND PLATFORM
This trip does not require a transfer as you'd be in the fare paid zone the entire time.

Got to use Presto and all-door boarding on a (much-delayed) College streetcar. It's really nice to be able to pay the fare from the back door when it's crowded. It's also great because I only have one token for the commute today. Didn't see anyone else use Presto.

From what I understand, you'll be charged the maximum distance on GO. On the TTC, I assume you'd be charged a regular fare. Given that we don't have distance-based or time-based fares on the TTC, I'm not sure why you would need to tap out. So far, it hasn't been necessary.

At today's press conference, they announced that Presto is now active on 100 of the legacy streetcars, with 10-20(?) added each day, and will be activated on all 230 by the end of the month.

Here's the MTO press release: https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2015/12/presto-rolling-out-on-all-ttc-legacy-streetcars.html

"Legacy Streetcars" is such a silly adoption of business terminology. You didn't inherit these streetcars from some other transit agency you purchased, TTC.

Back