News   Jun 28, 2024
 5.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 753     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Now that is indeed exciting. If only I can get my Presto autoload to finally start autoloading, I'll be able to easily use it.

I'm kind of surprised the TTC hasn't been advertising or discussing this. On their website, there was the unannounced changed to the proof of payment page that discussed Presto. Nothing on the front page. You would think they'd want to get out in front of this and tout the changes, inform the public how to use it, etc. Instead, it seems a bit more like they're aiming for a soft launch.

If I were the TTC, I would be a bit hesitant doing a full blown Presto "launch" at this point, since there won't be presto readers on buses until at least the end of 2016. As well, the transfer system as per the current setup is pretty confusing for the average rider, i.e. when to get a transfer/not all streetcars having machines etc etc. I would assume a more formal and hyped up launch would come in late 2016 or early 2017, when/if Presto is fully rolled out across the TTC. It is important to keep in mind that the TTC is also considering new fare structures once Presto is fully rolled out, so they may be waiting until then to launch a larger campaign.

I'd say that the information currently posted on the website regarding POP and Presto would be more for die-hard Presto users who are very familiar with the system and would want to take advantage of it as best they could.

Yeah, I'd imagine the vast majority of TTC riders will continue to use Metropasses & tokens until the whole system is converted, or at least the whole subway system.

At that point you'd do a massive public awareness thing since everyone would have to switch.

Still huge gaps in presto coverage like Eglinton station one of the busiest.

Good find. I recalled that 5.5% seemed reasonable at the time.

Keep in mind though, that it not only pays for the cost of running it, but it's also paying for the hundreds of millions that TTC was going to have to pay Presto to install it. I'm not sure if there's an opportunity to reduce the rate at some point in the future once it is paid off.

The rate should be equal to whatever it costs Metrolinx to run the PRESTO system.

It's now easier to reload a Presto card in the downtown core than it actually is to get one. Assuming that the Presto cards the PVMs sell at Union (and a few places elsewhere) are preloaded, I don't see why TTC collectors couldn't sell them too.

The self-serve machines not selling Presto cards is a bit of a missed opportunity - shame, because the machines themselves are really responsive and well done.

The rate should be equal to whatever it costs Metrolinx to run the PRESTO system.
No, it should also cover the cost of Presto installation beyond what TTC paid. They bridged the amount between what TTC was willing to pay, and what it was going to cost, with the 5.25% rate.

No, it should also cover the cost of Presto installation beyond what TTC paid. They bridged the amount between what TTC was willing to pay, and what it was going to cost, with the 5.25% rate.
Sorry, that's what I meant. It should cost whatever it costs to operate + capital expenditures.

Presto operations is nearly a profit center just from prepaid balances that go unused and interest on the float.

Negative balance cards have a habit of getting filled again because it's almost always cheaper than buying a new one. This concern doesn't even out the surpluses from Bank of Presto.

Sorry, that's what I meant. It should cost whatever it costs to operate + capital expenditures.

With aggressive targets to achieve lower costs year over year through continuous process improvement, careful scrutiny of change orders and enhancements. A guaranteed share of revenue is a recipe for make work projects.

Let's see the plan to get the rate down to 4% over the next decade.

- Paul

Last edited:
So, exciting news! I just used my Presto card to tap onto the Dundas streetcar last night. It beeped approvingly, and all was well. The transaction showed up on my account this morning.

The driver said no one had used it yet, and she hadn't been informed at all about how it worked. I was transferring to the Yonge line at Dundas, so I asked her to give me a transfer just in case. I used that to get onto the subway. I guess technically I should have transferred by tapping Presto again at the subway turnstile? I wasn't sure if the logic was active yet to make sure I didn't get charged a second fare. Anyway, pretty exciting!

So, exciting news! I just used my Presto card to tap onto the Dundas streetcar last night. It beeped approvingly, and all was well. The transaction showed up on my account this morning.

The driver said no one had used it yet, and she hadn't been informed at all about how it worked. I was transferring to the Yonge line at Dundas, so I asked her to give me a transfer just in case. I used that to get onto the subway. I guess technically I should have transferred by tapping Presto again at the subway turnstile? I wasn't sure if the logic was active yet to make sure I didn't get charged a second fare. Anyway, pretty exciting!

Pretty cool.

Did the streetcar have a green Presto sign on it?

Just curious since I would like to know if that's how we know Presto is active, or is it just random at this point?

If the machine light is GREEN it's working.

Actually, the machine light ONLY turns green when someone taps their card. Normally the light on top is off. On a working machine, the top light will be off, and the main display screen will be mostly white with a green arrow saying Tap Card Here. The top light turns green when tapped. Out of service machines will either be completely off, or have a red screen+red top light.

A little to happy there, using Presto on a TTC vehicle gets a bit of a slow clap from me, but anyway:

A user on another forum made a streetcar to subway transfer with Presto and the system appears to recognise it according to their transaction history.

So I guess, prepare to wet yourself with glee when you try this on your next trip and it works.

Pretty cool.

Just curious since I would like to know if that's how we know Presto is active, or is it just random at this point?
OK...trying to remember now ;) Either the top of the reader was green or it was unlit. The screen definitely was lit up and said Tap Here. Before the readers were active, they lit up red on top. There wasn't a sticker on the door saying anything about Presto. I'll pay more attention next time, which might just be shortly

Pretty cool.

This is how they look...

IMG_20151213_153328.jpg
Not my photo

Attachments

• IMG_20151213_153328.jpg
    IMG_20151213_153328.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 637

Back