News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Even if they still accepted them, how would people get more? Surely TTC would want to eliminate the entire distribution network. That's where the cost is.

I was only suggesting that tokens be handed out at shelters and for homeless on the streets, not much cost there, and it would be preferable to handing out coins for bus fare as the tokens can't be used for anything else.

I was only suggesting that tokens be handed out at shelters and for homeless on the streets, not much cost there, and it would be preferable to handing out coins for bus fare as the tokens can't be used for anything else.
Not much in itself, but you still have to maintain all the machines across the TTC that would accept such tokens, rather than eliminating them.

It's not going to happen. Either give them cash, or give them Presto cards. Find a way to waive the $6 charge per card ...

Not much in itself, but you still have to maintain all the machines across the TTC that would accept such tokens, rather than eliminating them.

It's not going to happen. Either give them cash, or give them Presto cards. Find a way to waive the $6 charge per card ...

I'll bet the homeless will lose a lot of Presto cards. You're not supposed to punch holes in them. Don't know if they'll have a lanyard or badge holder for them.

3005410987654040_20.jpg
or
promotional-water-bottle-lanyards_1.jpg

Which would be more important to them?

TTC eliminated tickets for adults a few years ago. They only have them for concessions.

TTC has also hinted that they plan to eliminate tokens and metropasses.

I expect that the option for those that don't have tokens or passes will be cash.

Because of POP you need tickets. You would buy one from the driver and validate it. Tickets will be reintroduced soon.

And yes, all a presto card is a small RFID chip. It's laminated into a credit card plastic case to make it easier to carry in wallets. I've seen online posts on how to extract the chip and put it on your phone so your phone becomes your card. If you feel the card carefully you can usually find the chip, there is roughly a 1cm square bulge where it is.

Last edited:
Apparently, PRESTO can be used by children (see link).

When my kids were young, I would give them a key to the house on a string that would go around their neck. If I had to give a PRESTO card to young kids, I would want to be able to attach them to a lanyard or string as well. I wouldn't trust any kid to put their card in their pocket. Yet, I wouldn't want to damage the card's chip or electronics by punching a hole in the wrong place on the card. Looks like a card holder would have to used, but would the card have to be removed from a holder?

No it wouldn't. I never take my card out of my wallet, just stick my wallet on the presto reader. You can hold your card a couple inches from the reader and it will still work.

Because of POP you need tickets. You would buy one from the driver and validate it. Tickets will be reintroduced soon.
You won't be able to buy a ticket from the driver of the new streetcars, as they are in a sealed compartment, and won't interact with the public.

You'll put your money or card into a machine, and it will issue you a ticket/transfer. There's been no indication that tickets would be available other than for single rides.

Apparently, PRESTO can be used by children (see link).
Though only for kids 6 and over. They won't let you buy one for a 5-year old. I'm not sure how this is going to work with TTC, where those 2 and older have to pay.

Also, currently the fare using a 6-year old's Presto card on TTC is $2.70. Presumably this will change.

No it wouldn't. I never take my card out of my wallet, just stick my wallet on the presto reader. You can hold your card a couple inches from the reader and it will still work.
As Presto is starting to roll out readers that also read debit and credit cards, how do you control which RFID card the Presto reader is?

I used to do this, before the bank issued me Visa and Debit cards with RFID chips inside.

I presume PRESTO would be programmed to take cash off of a PRESTO card first if both a credit card and PRESTO card came into range at the same time.

I also am not aware of a single presto machine currently that takes debit..

I presume PRESTO would be programmed to take cash off of a PRESTO card first if both a credit card and PRESTO card came into range at the same time.
Assuming they were simultaneous, perhaps. That seems unlikely though ... I'd think occasionally it would only pick up one. And occasionally it might actually grab both ...

I also am not aware of a single presto machine currently that takes debit..
The ones in College and Dundas stations were at one point. Not sure if they turned it off after they finished the test.

Assuming they were simultaneous, perhaps. That seems unlikely though ... I'd think occasionally it would only pick up one. And occasionally it might actually grab both ...

Highly unlikely indeed. When I tap my wallet at stores, I never really know which card will get charged until I see the receipt. I always have my cards in the exact same position, however the charge goes to various cards whenever I decide to just tap my wallet. It never puts the charge on two cards though.

I have mine in an inner pocket of my bag -- I just hold my bag at the Presto reader and it works.

Some of those readers can be really sensitive! I don't even have to roll down my car window to get into my parking garage.

Highly unlikely indeed. When I tap my wallet at stores, I never really know which card will get charged until I see the receipt. I always have my cards in the exact same position, however the charge goes to various cards whenever I decide to just tap my wallet. It never puts the charge on two cards though.
A purchase at the store can only be a single transaction. If it found a second card, it wouldn't have a transacation waiting for it.

I can see someone with their wallet, with 2 cards in in, waving it back and forth in front of a Presto reader, catching one card as it passes, and inadvertently passing it near a second time and grabbing a different one. Or passing it by so slowly, that it sees a second card a split-second later. People are funny and unpredictable.

On one occasion, I've already had a Presto reader get the same card twice - which is supposed to be impossible, as it's designed not to charge the same card a second time straight away. But there was this bizarre double beep, and when I checked later, Presto said it was a software problem that had just been introduced, and they were fixing. (it ended up tapping me on and then off in rapid procession ... this was a couple of years ago, never happened again).

I'd suggest simply taking the Presto card out of the wallet, if one has multiple RFID cards.

A purchase at the store can only be a single transaction. If it found a second card, it wouldn't have a transacation waiting for it.

I can see someone with their wallet, with 2 cards in in, waving it back and forth in front of a Presto reader, catching one card as it passes, and inadvertently passing it near a second time and grabbing a different one. Or passing it by so slowly, that it sees a second card a split-second later. People are funny and unpredictable.

On one occasion, I've already had a Presto reader get the same card twice - which is supposed to be impossible, as it's designed not to charge the same card a second time straight away. But there was this bizarre double beep, and when I checked later, Presto said it was a software problem that had just been introduced, and they were fixing. (it ended up tapping me on and then off in rapid procession ... this was a couple of years ago, never happened again).

I'd suggest simply taking the Presto card out of the wallet, if one has multiple RFID cards.

I guess the question is how long does a transaction last with Presto? Is it ready for the next transaction as soon as the beep goes off, or is there a couple of seconds in between when the next transaction can happen? That would determine whether or not you would get charged twice. Anyone willing to test this out? :p

I guess the question is how long does a transaction last with Presto? Is it ready for the next transaction as soon as the beep goes off, or is there a couple of seconds in between when the next transaction can happen? That would determine whether or not you would get charged twice. Anyone willing to test this out? :p

No need....it gets tested every day at Union station in the evening rush....people just tap one after another....person "A" taps...their transaction has not even cleared the screen and person "B" taps and is charged..then "C"...then so on and so on.

The readers are ready for the next card as soon as it beeps the last one.

The difference between presto readers and retail outlets is quite large. Presto readers are passive but active...that is they are not presenting a transaction but are always "awake" awaiting for a card to pay for one.......retail outlets, however, their readers are asleep awaiting the cash register to send them a pending transaction then they become active until they get a tap from a card that completes that transaction.....after that you can club the machine as much as you like with your card...it won't take any money from you until the retailer sends it another pending transaction.

It is not even clear to me how Presto readers will work with visa/mc/debit cards on a GO system or any other fair by distance system. Right now it is pretty simple to tap on at a TTC subway station with the new readers cause they charge the same fare all the time....so the reader just needs to know "presto card discount the fare.....visa card charge the full cash fare"

Last edited:

Back