News   Mar 28, 2024
 965     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 543     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 837     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Death of a MLX subcontractor on LSE near Rogue Hill.

Closer to Pickering actually. It was at Bayly and West Shore according to CP24 which is in Durham Region. I wonder if they could turn trains at Pickering and Guildwood if needed? It would mean running the LSE out of Mimico however.

Announcement tomorrow in Thunder Bay at the Alstom plant. Minister, Verster, and the union attending. Guessing an order for something has been placed? More refurbishments?
Possibly - only no-brainer decision I can see from Metrolinx where TTC wouldn't be there, is if they order additional Flexitys for the Eglinton West extension. I suppose some more GO equipment is possible (more cab cars - or as you say refurbs) - but I thought there wasn't much major planned while they sort out their longer-term plans.

Possibly - only no-brainer decision I can see from Metrolinx where TTC wouldn't be there, is if they order additional Flexitys for the Eglinton West extension. I suppose some more GO equipment is possible (more cab cars - or as you say refurbs) - but I thought there wasn't much major planned while they sort out their longer-term plans.
Yeah agreed - given that an order for additional subway trains for Yonge North or Scarborough doesn't need to be ordered for a few years yet.

how is the new subway car order coming along, does it have funding yet? The plan is for new trains for Line 2, not new Line 1 trains with the TRs booted to Line 2, correct? If they were smart they'd order specific trains that are a bit longer to fit on the entire Yonge line platform length (~6.5 cars long IIRC), and shift the TRs to Line 2.. but I don't think that's happening.

how is the new subway car order coming along, does it have funding yet? The plan is for new trains for Line 2, not new Line 1 trains with the TRs booted to Line 2, correct? If they were smart they'd order specific trains that are a bit longer to fit on the entire Yonge line platform length (~6.5 cars long IIRC), and shift the TRs to Line 2.. but I don't think that's happening.
Currently no funding and the new trains are for Line 2, the TR's will stay on Line 1 unless the TTC decides to change there mind at some point. However that decision would really have no effect on anything in the grand scheme. The TTC did put out a survey about a year ago to the public about the new trains. I would assume at this point they are still going through the early development stages like asking the various maintenance and operator personal what they would like to see. I believe the current timline at the moment is to recieve the first train in 2026 assuming everything goes as planned which we know it won't. Either way the new trains have to be here before the SSE opens assuming it is built with ATC since the T1's wouldn't be able to operate on it (The SSE should be built with ATC since it would be pretty stupid to build it with Block Signals only to have to spend more money like 5 years later to tear them out to be replaced with ATC). There is also the question of yard space as Greenwood can't really do any major maintenance on the newer permanently coupled trains (although that could be mitigated temporarily by sending the new trains to Wilson for major work while construction on Obico Yard happens. Greenwood can and will still be used for storage and basic maintenance). It is possible the TR's could still end up on Line 2 if for some reason the TTC doesn't have enough of the new trains to operate an ATC built SSE.

Hopefully they provide far superior seating on the London route. 4 hours is a long time for a train trip but due to GO's commuter level seating, it becomes a very painful one.

Hopefully they provide far superior seating on the London route. 4 hours is a long time for a train trip but due to GO's commuter level seating, it becomes a very painful one.
Given the number of cars for the London Train now or even a few years down the road, they will be the same as the current ones. Since they are part of a pool system, very hard to have a few assign to one line unless the whole fleet is upgraded.

^^^ I guess that it's not much of an issue because NOBODY in London is going to be taking this train. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would. It offers absolutely no benefit to anyone.

Reactions: DSC

Back