News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Thats honestly a suprising number of people opposed. I thought it was basically unanimous
I was looking at the Star article about this and there was a comment that I think sums up the opposition: "why don't they just go to their friends' backyards instead?" And I don't think it was poorly intentioned, but it shows how a subset of people in Toronto don't realise how many people don't have backyards, or maybe even know people with backyards. Like how many 20-(or at this point 30-)somethings in this city are going to have friends who have backyards? People who are in a situation where they have their own outdoor space don't get that for people without their own outdoor space, parks are that space. They just assume this is people wanting to behave irresponsibly, not that this is the only option to be outside with friends for many people in the city (without paying insane prices on a patio).

Last edited:
I was looking at the Star article about this and there was a comment that I think sums up the opposition: "why don't they just go to their friends' backyards instead?" And I don't think it was poorly intentioned, but it shows how a subset of people in Toronto don't realise how many people don't have backyards, or maybe even know people with backyards. Like how many 20-(or at this point 30-)somethings in this city are going to have friends who have backyards? People who are in a situation where they have their own outdoor space don't get that for people without their own outdoor space, parks are that space. They just assume this is people wanting to behave irresponsibly, not that this is the only option to be outside with friends for many people in the city (without paying insane prices on a patio).
Another thing to remember: not everyone drinks, or at least internalizes "liquid pleasure" as a must-have. And they might still view the issue through the prism of having witnessed bums with liquor bottles on the subway, etc.

I'm your pretty typical professional with a young kid, and I've had beer/cider in a park with friends on quite a few occasions over the last few years, probably more often since having a kid. For those of us with balconies and kids, it's the best place to have a low-key social occasion with friends. Bars/patios are fine, and we can all afford them, but it's a lot easier and cheaper to go to a park. The kids can run around to their hearts' content (and you can bring dogs!), and if you have to bail for whatever reason, not much lost.

I'm not sure the 30% of people who are opposed are thinking of youngish professionals with toddlers having a beer with their friends (and kids/dogs) when they think of drinking being allowed in parks.

I'm not sure the 30% of people who are opposed are thinking of youngish professionals with toddlers having a beer with their friends (and kids/dogs) when they think of drinking being allowed in parks.
My money is on that 30% thinking this will lead to more homeless encampments or some ridiculous BS like that.

The Alcohol in Parks pilot is back for discussion with a report to the next meeting of Economic and Community Development Ctte.

In so many words, it turns out this trial did not cause the City to burn to the ground, so its not such a bad idea after all.

However, in typical Toronto fashion, the bureaucrats have muddled the policy response.

Instead of essentially legalizing alcohol in all parks, with restrictions in place, as appropriate; they've gone the opposite way.

They will make the 27 pilot parks permanent; they seek delegated authority to add additional parks, to the legal side of the ledger, to ensure at least one park per ward has legal drinking.......

Give me a break! You know, I don't think I've consumed alcohol in a park in more than 30 years (maybe as a teen, watching fireworks on Victoria Day). I'm in no rush to go out and do it again....... but why must we default to cumbersome
rules instead of defaulting to, "its fine if you behave responsibly."

I am sure it will go as well as their food carts experiment.

AoD

Some of us may want to look at this and complete the survey.

Stormwater Charge & Water Service Charge Consultation​

Some of us may want to look at this and complete the survey.

Stormwater Charge & Water Service Charge Consultation​

Yup, discussed in a post on the previous page:

Reactions: DSC
Yes, 'consultation paused".

1712236498412.png

If they are actually going to do the parking levy, obviously they have to be coordinated. What will likely happen instead is they'll pause this, study the levy to death but no actually implement it, then we've lost two years on this as well.

Yes, 'consultation paused".

View attachment 553480

For clarity, the need to study aligning these 2 charges was flagged by Councillor Carroll during the City budget process.

Then I (among others) also chirped in on the problems, particularly w/the storm water charge.

Finally, the fact that that problematic pseudo Liberal curmudgeon Warren Kinsella managed to get the City some negative publicity around the world over its 'rain tax' all likely contributed to the need for a more public pause (the re-think was happening anyway)

Last edited:
Cut service around parks e.g. the expensive to maintain Love Park with water fountains and features etc. should be cut
I heard a study done on parks to build it yield the same results as all other studies around park (why people use them and what people want in them)
And the consultant charged the city 500k....????

Save those dollars for more important things.

Back