News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 996     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

A report to next week's ECDC meeting puts forward the Capital Plans for construction/renovation/expansion of shelter sites in Toronto.

I can't say I'm enthusiastic about the plan.

My challenge here is the money per shelter bed; and a serious question about whether we can't and ought not to spend that delivering greater permanent housing instead.

From the above:

1697638356983.png

The City notes the operating savings; of City-owned shelters vs beds in hotels. Which, to be clear, is real, and worthwhile in terms of shifting to lower-cost delivery if those are the only options for money.

But here's what I did.......

I took the above listed 674.5 million, and divided it by the proposed 1,600 beds.

It works out to just over $421,000 per bed.

There is absolutely no reason the City could not deliver 1,600 rent-geared-to-income apartments for that cost, if not a bit less.

Those apartments could average more than 1 person per unit; at even 1.2 (mostly studios, but some 1 bedrooms for couples and a smattering of small family units, one would allow for 1,920 people being housed instead of 1,600, and in far better accommodation.

On top of that, the cost of operating a City-owned shelter bed is pegged at $126 per night in the report; which is $3,780 per month.

An RGI unit, recovering 30% of Ontario Works takes in rent of $220 per month; assuming fair market rent of $3,000 on a new build, that's a net cost of $2,780 or almost $1,000 per month cheaper than the shelter bed!

Additionally the City continues to propose building or renovating shelters to permit up to 8 people in a room, which with the associated lack of privacy, personal hygiene and safety discourages many from ever entering the shelter system in the first place. Sigh.

Shelter Design Guidelines here:

I'm curious to here @HousingNowTO 's take on the above. (both)

Mine is that many senior City staff on this file need to make for the exits, and I may provide a helping hand.

I'll stick this in here I guess, hard to find a good thread for it..........Cllr Saxe did some digging for unspent S.37 dollars that have been lying dormant, in some cases for many, many years.....(up to 33 years)

And she wishes to reallocate those $$. A letter requesting same is set to go before today's meeting of TEYCC:

What's intriguing is that some of her proposed reallocations have drawn objections from area residents associations.

First, her list of unspent funds:

1697640034919.png

On the above, I have to say, the streetscape on Balmuto is unworthy of its adjacent UT'ers (residents) @Benito and @Bayer

That sum is not enough to do what I think should be done, but could make a dent. (significantly wider sidewalk on the east side of the road with trees and pedestrian lights)

The Jarvis money is also of note, the City had a project to use it; that was then killed by cycling advocates who got a bike lane set instead, which lasted a mere couple of years before being removed.

I'm pro cycling and opposed removing the Jarvis lanes, but cycling advocates were wrong to thrwart the original project. The City, having abandoned its original plan, appears to have forgotten the money sitting there.

Now her proposed use of said funds:

1697640343312.png

1697640372276.png

What station improvements? I'm quite curious now!

Do we have the capacity to build out these spaces / vacancy rates to put them in RGI apartments?

We could literally shift the money over to one or more of the Housing Now sites and make it work.

We could also use the $ towards building the un-funded new housing at Jane Firgrove (vacant TCHC land) or rebuilding Swansea Mews.

Most of the existing shelters cannot be refit to affordable housing without a tear down; and you would then need to re-house the current occupants first.

I mean more do we have the bodies to throw at this to build them right now. Living next to a housing now site that's in a perpetual limbo and would be happy to see some funding for it shifted here, but is there a bottle neck on trades?

I mean more do we have the bodies to throw at this to build them right now. Living next to a housing now site that's in a perpetual limbo and would be happy to see some funding for it shifted here, but is there a bottle neck on trades?

There is a bottleneck on trades, though it has eased a tiny bit w/the recent slow down; the Housing Now sites were mostly delayed by lack of CMHC financing; the feds have just put an extra 20B or so of that on the table so that should be resolved in the short term.

There is absolutely enough capability to deliver. Keep in mind as well, that I'm proposing shifting resources from projects already proposed that would also require construction and financing.

The registration for the Ward 20, Scarborough Southwest By-Election closed on Monday. Election day is Thursday, November 30

All 23 candidates can be found here:

Based on cursory research, it appears that six campaigns have some degree of campaign apparatus or support:

- Malika Ghous
- Parthi Kandavel
- Suman Roy
- Kevin Rupasinghe
- Sudip Shome
- Anna Sidiropoulos

The registration for the Ward 20, Scarborough Southwest By-Election closed on Monday. Election day is Thursday, November 30

All 23 candidates can be found here:

Based on some cursory research, it appears that six campaigns have some degree of campaign apparatus or support:

- Malika Ghous
- Parthi Kandavel
- Suman Roy
- Kevin Rupasinghe
- Sudip Shome
- Anna Sidiropoulos

I fully expected to see John Turmel on that list..

In any case I will be voting for Kevin Rupasinghe. I know Parthi and he is too business oriented for me, Malika is too much of a flight risk. .

Yup.

Some of the money is coming, not sure an exact number. Won't be everything on the City's wish list which is too small in any event.

I will be starting a new thread for the City's Housing file so we have a master thread not tied to specific projects.

Stay tuned for 3 different things this fall.

1) A Housing Accelerator deal is imminent for Toronto, should be well into 9 figures (hundreds of millions, more is not out of the question)

2) CMHC has an additional 20B in mortgages it can bankroll for affordable housing; announcements on some projects receiving funds should come soon. '

3) The Fall Economic Statement (Federal) will arrive sometime next month and will include more $$ for housing.

Besides the headline numbers, and funding asks, some additional points:

• Toronto wants to limit appeals to municipal zoning/OP changes
  • And also, limit appeals for PBR

Looks as though Ford is mulling uploading the Gardiner/DVP from Toronto as part of the City's 'new deal'.

That would take about 2B off the current 10-year capital budget for the City which would free up some space.

If the province repaid the City for the money it has invested in the Gardiner the last 3-4 years it would get a bit better still.

The pure play operating number is not as exciting, but it would take the cost of the plowing, routine maintenance, streetlights etc.

An interesting question would also be the pending re-do the Islington and Kipling interchanges w/the Gardiner.

All that said, should this go ahead, it is not by any means sufficient to resolve the City's issues on its own, but it would be a good start.

Last edited:
Looks as though Ford is mulling uploading the Gardiner/DVP from Toronto as part of the City's 'new deal'.

That would take about 2B off the current 10-year capital budget for the City which would free up some space.

If the province repaid the City for the money it has invested in the Gardiner the last 3-4 years it would get a bit better still.

The pure play operating number is not as exciting, but it would take the cost of the plowing, routine maintenance, streetlights etc.

An interesting question would also be the pending re-do the Islington and Kipling interchanges w/the Gardiner.

All that said, should this go ahead, it is not by any means sufficient to resolve the City's issues on its own, but it would be a good start.

If I recall, was the DVP and Gardiner not previously downloaded from the province?

Back