News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 983     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

We've had much discussion of Sanscon here at UT.

A company that has indisputably bungled at least one major contract, and which has unquestionably been involved in several others that have not gone well or to schedule.

A report to next week's General Government committee seeks to show them the consequences of their actions..................by awarding them a non-competitive 5.5M contract, tender-free.

I would ask UT'ers to write to Councillor's on this committee and seek to have this voted down. Sanscon should be prohibited from even bidding on city work.

Last edited:
Contractors working on behalf of the City, to repair a patched sidewalk, somehow managed to crack open the foundation wall of a building. The City inspector showed up a few hours later and told the building owners to get the damage fixed immediately at their own expense! The inspector should be fired, immediately.

That seems a bit excessive; of course the City contractor should pay but I bet that if this happened to me I would want it fixed ASAP and to get this done fast it would be FAR better to use my own contractor and get reimbursed. The inspector could (maybe was) more helpful but it is hardly a firing offence to suggest (if he did) to use my own contractor to 'get it done'. From the photo it looked as though the sidewalk was on top of part of their basement - I assume this was in the City's plans.

That seems a bit excessive; of course the City contractor should pay but I bet that if this happened to me I would want it fixed ASAP and to get this done fast it would be FAR better to use my own contractor and get reimbursed. The inspector could (maybe was) more helpful but it is hardly a firing offence to suggest (if he did) to use my own contractor to 'get it done'. From the photo it looked as though the sidewalk was on top of part of their basement - I assume this was in the City's plans.

The story left me with the impression that the contractor threatened the couple with condemning their building as unsafe, if they didn't take immediate action to fix the problem, the City caused.

No offer was made to have the contractor/City do anything, including emergency work, no apology was offered for the offense.

I consider that if someone damaged my property, seriously, through reckless conduct, then had the temerity to threaten me if I didn't pay to get it fixed, I'd be more than upset and my lawyer, would be all over them. I applaud the couple for bringing the media in quickly. If there story is accurate, I stand by a dismissal being appropriate. A City representative should have literally been on hand with emergency remedial action and funds by certified cheque.

Now, we only really heard one side of the story, but I was certainly offended on behalf of the aggrieved party.

The story left me with the impression that the contractor threatened the couple with condemning their building as unsafe, if they didn't take immediate action to fix the problem, the City caused.

No offer was made to have the contractor/City do anything, including emergency work, no apology was offered for the offense.

I consider that if someone damaged my property, seriously, through reckless conduct, then had the temerity to threaten me if I didn't pay to get it fixed, I'd be more than upset and my lawyer, would be all over them. I applaud the couple for bringing the media in quickly. If there story is accurate, I stand by a dismissal being appropriate. A City representative should have literally been on hand with emergency remedial action and funds by certified cheque.

Now, we only really heard one side of the story, but I was certainly offended on behalf of the aggrieved party.
The mayor says her office is making sure the city will cover the cost of the damage.

The mayor says her office is making sure the city will cover the cost of the damage.

Good; as it should be. But the staff involved in the initial response still need to be held to account, if the media story is accurate.

Chow tried to play both sides. Got burnt.

I think it was unnecessary for her to declare a stance, however it’s not surprising. Most all western government figures and big media outlets are just mouthpieces for America (see: Operation Mockingbird).
For that reason I hope this doesn’t prompt a big discussion of her actions here, would probably be futile.

Soon, 27 city parks involved in a pilot project will no longer allow alcohol consumption. But is it really last call?​

The city’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation staff is gathering information for a report on the pilot and will recommend how to proceed. The report, expected in early 2024, will include results from a survey, closing on Oct. 16, which already has more than 6,000 respondents.

“We’re hearing from councillors’ offices, and they’re receiving positive feedback,” said Eric Holmes, City of Toronto manager of communications, “but we have to get the survey results back and speak to all the principals involved, like businesses and residents — and not just people who experienced it, but other park users.”
Councillor Paula Fletcher, who represents Toronto-Danforth, which had five parks in the pilot, said her office received no complaints.

A Member Motion has been added to the current Council Agenda.

Yes, its our favourite big spender at work. Everyone's champion of more robust public services, @Towered 's own Councillor, Holyday, whose here to advocate for adding 1.624M to the 2024 Budget in order to restore that most pressingly needed
of programs, Mechanical Leaf Collection. Of course, only for select residents.

1697136410918.png

Yes, its our favourite big spender at work. Everyone's champion of more robust public services, @Towered 's own Councillor, Holyday, whose here to advocate for adding 1.624M to the 2024 Budget in order to restore that most pressingly needed

View attachment 512603
It is also interesting that Olivia has made him Chair of her new Service Excellency Committee - I assume on the idea that he DOES seem to have an eye for efficiencies and if the City is more efficient it might be more excellent.

Coming to Council today: SEE: https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2023.MM11.34

3. City Council waive the requirement for the City Clerk to canvass Members for their interest before appointing any members to fill a position on the Service Excellence Committee, and appoint the following members to the Service Excellence Committee:

a. Gord Perks;
b. Lily Cheng; and
c. Jaye Robinson

Having regard that Mayor Olivia Chow has already appointed Councillor Stephen Holyday as Chair and Councillor Paul Ainslie as Vice-Chair.

I assume this does not add Holyday to Excecutive.

View attachment 512603
DEFEATED!

1697138897144.png

Soon, 27 city parks involved in a pilot project will no longer allow alcohol consumption. But is it really last call?​

Update: Council has approved an extension of the pilot to March. Great news for those who love their beer very, very cold.

‘We’re not going to wait’: Toronto announces improvements for 2024 CafeTO patio season​

In a press conference on Monday, Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow spoke about the success of the program and ways to make it better. The improvements put forward are pending city council approval later this fall.

Some improvements for CafeTO 2024 include fast-tracking approvals for returning restaurants that participated in 2023. This will be confirmed earlier, by at least Nov. 30.

They also include an “easier and faster approval process” for new restaurants with applications starting in mid-January.

“We’re not going to wait,” Chow said. “Even in the dark winter, you can imagine your patio being open.”

The city said its goal is to have at least 90 per cent of new applicants approved by mid-April 2024 if all requirements are in place.

Back