News   Jul 16, 2024
 68     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 823     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 957     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Don Mills, Bathurst, and Dufferin are the 3 big candidates for an express bus that I can think of. 4th one isn't as obvious to me, maybe the Vic Park bus.

Anyone who implicitly believes campaign promises or never deviates from campaign promises they make are not dealing with reality.

I don't buy this at all. I expect candidates to lie to me, but the lies John Tory told were particularly egregious. I was a supporter of his in the beginning but his lies and misinformation he spread is a huge reason why I stopped supporting him. If John Tory can't help but lie to us during the campaign, then what could we have expected from him when he's mayor?

Thankfully Mayor John Tory has proven himself to be a man of significantly greater integrity than candidate John Tory.

Cynical? Maybe but I like to see it as being a realist.

You're being a realist. But that still doesn't excuse the lies John Tory told us. If a candidate is not able to tell the truth to the people they lead, then that person really shouldn't be in a leadership position.

Last edited:
Well I suppose the debate is whether or not John Tory changed his mind, or lied to us. Personally, I find it hard to believe that he was so misinformed. Throughout his campaign, people were telling him what was wrong with his proposals, particularly when it come to transit (including TTC operations). However JT seemingly disregarded their advice during the campaign.

So, in my opinion, it's ether wilful ignorance (highly unlikely), or he was lying (more likely). John Tory knew his proposals were unworkable, but continued to peddle them rather than acknowledge that he was wrong.

Perhaps now that he's not in campaign mode, he'll be willing to be more truthful. So far his performance as mayor has been admirable.

Was there a point where he said outright that he would not raise TTC fares?

I think expecting a candidate to backtrack on their platform or publicly announce they were wrong on something while said candidate is leading polls, is a little unrealistic of an expectation.

I like to think of election promises and platforms as themes rather than policies anyway. Mayoral candidates do not have the resources or jurisdiction to produce well-thought out policies and it would be irresponsible for them to be planning policy while campaigning.

I like to think of election promises and platforms as themes rather than policies anyway. Mayoral candidates do not have the resources or jurisdiction to produce well-thought out policies and it would be irresponsible for them to be planning policy while campaigning.

Then maybe they should quit making up nonsensical policy whilst campaigning.

I think expecting a candidate to backtrack on their platform or publicly announce they were wrong on something while said candidate is leading polls, is a little unrealistic of an expectation.

Why? That's the least I'd expect from anyone with an ounce of integrity.

But I suppose some politicians don't have much integrity.

Last edited:

I am curious about this whole "up in arms" over the lying about fare increase thing, particularly after the broken promises from the previous mayor which promised no tax increase about inflation (wrong, subways), the private sector building the forementioned (didn't happen), no service cuts (hello TTC) and whatnot.

I think what's more damning is the real and/or perceived need for politicians to lie in order to govern reasonably. Just what does that speak of the quality of our electorate?

AoD

I don't buy this at all. I expect candidates to lie to me, but the lies John Tory told were particularly egregious. I was a supporter of his in the beginning but his lies and misinformation he spread is a huge reason why I stopped supporting him. If John Tory can't help but lie to us during the campaign, then what could we have expected from him when he's mayor?

Thankfully Mayor John Tory has proven himself to be a man of significantly greater integrity than candidate John Tory.

You're being a realist. But that still doesn't excuse the lies John Tory told us. If a candidate is not able to tell the truth to the people they lead, then that person really shouldn't be in a leadership position.

"Lying" is a subjective term in advertising; however, if we what to quantify a "lie" aren't we being just as hypocritical? It seems then that it is not the tool but the intention that should draw our diligent attention.

They need to restore the Vehicle Registration Tax - the idea that any driver in Toronto "can't afford" $5 a month is ridiculous. Or bring in a congestion charge or tolls. We should make transit cheaper and driving more expensive.

They need to restore the Vehicle Registration Tax - the idea that any driver in Toronto "can't afford" $5 a month is ridiculous. Or bring in a congestion charge or tolls. We should make transit cheaper and driving more expensive.

Agreed. The whole situation was a side show with no effort involved.

Then maybe they should quit making up nonsensical policy whilst campaigning.

You mean like Olivia Chow's nonsensical bus plan?

These are the rules of the game, whether we like it or not. If Tory acted the way you wanted and took the high road, he would look like a poor candidate compared to Chow and Ford. Elections and actually running office are two very different beasts.

You should take solace in the fact that thus far, Tory has stepped aside and listened to input from others, compromised on positions, and is receptive to new information. I'm not sure either Chow or Ford would have been capable of that.

Why? That's the least I'd expect from anyone with an ounce of integrity.

But I suppose some politicians don't have much integrity.

Again, because that is the game being played. The ones to blame are the electorate for being dumb, reactionary and responsive to such practices. And believe me, the Ford saga has tested my patience with democracy.

You mean like Olivia Chow's nonsensical bus plan?

Exactly.

You should take solace in the fact that thus far, Tory has stepped aside and listened to input from others, compromised on positions, and is receptive to new information.

That's why I'm so pleased with his performance thus far. I have a far better impression of him now than I did in the campaign.

Again, because that is the game being played. The ones to blame are the electorate for being dumb, reactionary and responsive to such practices. And believe me, the Ford saga has tested my patience with democracy.

I know. Unfortunately my efforts to overthrow our municipal government have proved futile :(

Was there a point where he said outright that he would not raise TTC fares?

I am curious about this whole "up in arms" over the lying about fare increase thing, particularly after the broken promises from the previous mayor which promised no tax increase about inflation (wrong, subways), the private sector building the forementioned (didn't happen), no service cuts (hello TTC) and whatnot.

I think what's more damning is the real and/or perceived need for politicians to lie in order to govern reasonably. Just what does that speak of the quality of our electorate?

AoD

I haven't seen anyone up in arms over this broken promise. It's not as if this was a big part of his campaign. Personally I couldn't care less about the fare increase.

Back