News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 462     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Good. It would be dumb of him to do so, unless he truly isn't going to run for a third term.
It gives the people of Toronto a chance to judge him on the broken commitment on tax hikes above inflation. My guess is Torontonians are good with it, and see the value in investing in housing, etc. It would have been worse optics had Tory ran for a third term and then after winning announced the new levies.

Good. It would be dumb of him to do so, unless he truly isn't going to run for a third term.

There seem to be missed signals from Tory over him running for a third term. There are some rumours that Ana Bailao, a Tory ally, might be interested in running for the mayor in 2022, and I doubt she would run without Tory's blessing.

I strongly suspect either Layton or Cressy will run in 2022, but only if Tory retires.

Last edited:
There seem to be missed signals from Tory over him running for a third term. There are some rumours that Ana Bailao, a Tory ally, might be interested in running for the mayor in 2022, and I doubt she would run without Tory's blessing.

I strongly suspect either Layton or Cressy will run in 2022, but only if Tory retires.

The last time a Davenport city councillor tried to get promoted to mayor, it was Adam Giambrone. That didn't go so well.

Ana has been a generally good local councillor. I wonder if she would actually get support from around the city.

I’d support Layton, but not Cressy. Bailao wouldn’t be terrible (she’s a little more in touch than Tory), but I thought Brad Bradford was the new wunderkind.

I’d support Layton, but not Cressy. Bailao wouldn’t be terrible (she’s a little more in touch than Tory), but I thought Brad Bradford was the new wunderkind.

Brad is definitely embedded w/the Tory camp's braintrust.

Whether that has his laid up as the next/future mayor, not so sure.

From left or right, we have yet to have a woman or minority as mayor in post-amalgamation Toronto.

While I certainly think merit should be the defining character trait, there really are a fine pool of diverse candidates who should be considered for the office.

If she doesn't take the Liberal leadership, Mitzi Hunter would be an interesting fit. She is a Tory protege, very centrist, and would also give the City a mayor from Scarborough.

Bradford is still a newbie, so I don't think he would run until 2026. Also, like Bailao, he's a Tory ally, so he wouldn't run if Tory was also in the race.

I never thought much of Cressy, but he's undoubtedly built his profile as Public Health chair during the Ford cuts.

A Bailao vs. Cressy/Layton/KWT race seems possible in 2022. A suburban councillor would probably throw their hat in the ring too. Maybe Thompson or Holyday?

Last edited:
Cressy/Layton/KWT are all Dippers and I doubt strongly that more than one will run . If several Dippers are interested (and maybe none will be) I bet that THE choice will be made in the customary smoke-filled backrooms.

Mitzi Hunter is also the person who hand-delivered us the Scarborough subway and Doug Ford.

If there is a woman who would make a good mayor, it would be Shelly Carroll.

I understand the issue w/the SSE; but how does she get credit for Premier Doug?

Back