News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

3% will go to expanding the cycling network.
3% will go to road safety.
44% will go to the Gardiner Expressway.
Oh FFS.
Just getting rid of the Gardiner would help with road safety. Why must we keep throwing money at this crumbling love letter to suburban car culture?!

For decades we’ve talked about getting rid of it. Decades! The never ending waterfront condo boom started on the promise of getting rid of it.
Figures Tory doesn’t have the guts to do it and leave a proper legacy beyond blatantly pretending to stand up to our idiot Premier.

Wtf. I want my money back.

Oh yeah, I remember that time I used C notes to wipe me arse with and then lit them on fire....oh wait, no, that was actually C notes thrown at the Gardiner.

Thanks for ruining my evening, Matt.

I drive on that malignant tumour every day and I would demolish it my damn self if I were allowed to.

Is there any news about when the rebates for donations to candidates in the 2018 election are actually getting mailed out? I see the official City web page now says "The earliest date that any contributor will receive their rebate is early 2020." It originally said "early 2019," then "late 2019,".... Early 2020 could mean April or May, if not delayed again.

That's a lot of cash they are holding on to for about 18 months now. I'm not owed any large sum back, but I would prefer it be in my bank account rather than the City's account.

Is there any news about when the rebates for donations to candidates in the 2018 election are actually getting mailed out? I see the official City web page now says "The earliest date that any contributor will receive their rebate is early 2020." It originally said "early 2019," then "late 2019,".... Early 2020 could mean April or May, if not delayed again.

That's a lot of cash they are holding on to for about 18 months now. I'm not owed any large sum back, but I would prefer it be in my bank account rather than the City's account.
I was told, by a candidate from the 47 Ward non-election, that the cheques were coming 'in January" but ....

UPDATE: I just emailed City Clerk and was told "Thank you for contacting Election Services. Payments for Contribution Rebates are now being processed and should be released in the next month or so. If you have not received your rebate by March, please contact our office again. "

Last edited:
Question:

I remember when the easternmost bit of the Gardiner was torn down. I was a wee lad. Why was that section that didn't impact the central waterfront in any meaningful way torn down so easily yet the rest of the stain remains and is having money wasted on it (not debatable, go away)?
Why was that bit torn down?

Question:

I remember when the easternmost bit of the Gardiner was torn down. I was a wee lad. Why was that section that didn't impact the central waterfront in any meaningful way torn down so easily yet the rest of the stain remains and is having money wasted on it (not debatable, go away)?
Why was that bit torn down?

It went nowhere, so no-one cared.
Originally supposed to be connected to the Scarborough Expressway (that never happened).

Originally supposed to be connected to the Scarborough Expressway (that never happened).

Right, so everyone's knickers are in a knot because of connectivity with the DVP.

Thanks for the reply. I was way too young to remember any talk of it.

Thank effing-christmas that the expressway system (Spadina, Scarborough, Richview, Crosstown) was never realized. It would've hollowed out the core and made us another Detroit.

I did some quick calculations based on my own costs of owning a home in central Toronto. Over the last 4 years my property tax increased an average of 4.6 percent per year. Garbage and water costs increased an average of 16.7% per year.

I trust everyone in low tax Toronto was getting greater than 5% annual wage increases and greater than 5% rent increases during this period ;)

I did some quick calculations based on my own costs of owning a home in central Toronto. Over the last 4 years my property tax increased an average of 4.6 percent per year. Garbage and water costs increased an average of 16.7% per year.

That's a higher %age than average; so I guess congratulations on higher than average appreciation of your home value?

Property tax/fees on multi-unit rentals increased closer to 5% over all 4 years combined; though landlords did increase rent by considerably more than that.

Thank effing-christmas that the expressway system (Spadina, Scarborough, Richview, Crosstown) was never realized. It would've hollowed out the core and made us another Detroit.

Honestly, thinking of where I grew up just north of Kingston Road in Scarborough.....the thought of that being a highway makes me want to cry. What a shit childhood I would have had.

I trust everyone in low tax Toronto was getting greater than 5% annual wage increases and greater than 5% rent increases during this period ;)

I was getting better than 5% wage increases but if you want to talk about rent, you best start adding a 2 or 3 in front of that 5% of yours, bud.

Wait....no, I'm way off....my rent is actually ~40% higher than it was 4 years ago. My wages? ~20%.

Now what?

My point was that tax cost inflation in the City is not uniform and costs once inclusive to property tax are escalating rapidly.

I'll add to that that total aggregate taxation in Canada from all sources is relatively stable at something like 33-36% of GDP. It was a little lower in this range during Steven Harper's term and a little higher in that range now under Trudeau. This fact is not an argument against increasing Municipal level taxation. Maybe overall taxation should increase beyond the historic 33-36% range or Cities should get a larger slice of the pie but that is the argument we should be making. For reference at the high end Danish and German tax rates are at around 50% of GDP while those in the US, Australia, and Switzerland are in the 27% range. Maybe the US isn't the best comparison because most of their Cities are broke and dis-functional, the Danes pay for what they get so no issue there, but what are Australia and Switzerland doing so much better than we are?

Back