News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Well, you're also an informed individual so I'll take it.

The only person I know who is a federal civil servant is one of my best friends' (two brothers) mum who has worked for Human Resources and Development since at least the mid-90s and is just about retired now. Poor ain't the word. I don't know what she does exactly. I think she's some mid-level manager maybe.

There are about 260,000 federal civil servants. If one searches websites for 'average' income for federal employees, it shows about $70K, but if you get into the various classifications on the Government of Canada website, some, like data entry, clerical, etc. - the many minions who toil in the government offices - have grids that are in the $30Ks (Ontario full-time minimum wage is about $29K) and some actually started in the high $20Ks. Of course, it's hard to know how many are at each scale so each income group would have to be weighted by the numbers of employees in each; some would have thousands, others a relative handful. The government has many professions such as lawyers, scientist, engineers, etc. that would have to be offered something comparable to their private sector counterparts, and some classifications, such as the military, have no reasonable private section comparison.

Anyway, thanks for that. Wasn't sure if the service I had been directed to was involved with that department. I was sent there by 311.
Does anyone know the place I'm talking about? It's possibly at the zoo or at York University, I honestly don't remember. It was some sort of emergency animal rescue farm/warehouse/vets.

It's at Downsview, it's independent of the city, and deals with wildlife specifically. Treating them and rehabilitating them.

They run shelters and pet adoptions and pick up strays. They also run chip clinics, enforce animal bylaws, tag dogs, etc.

The vets get to deal with the messy side of it. Sick/injured animals brought into the shelters, etc. It would seem they also go on animal welfare calls. I've heard the nightmares of the animal hoarder homes. There were a couple of stories this year alone where more than 100 cats were taken out of a home (one was 300+!). Cats long dead; dozens with needing to be put down due to severe health problems because they're inbred.
There was an interesting article about Animal Services this week in the Star. https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...n-toronto-its-an-exhausting-line-of-work.html

The Animal services worker in the article talks about the 347 cats in one home. Also of note was that the calls for animal services doubled from 2014 to 2018, while the budget and staffing remain static.

There was an interesting article about Animal Services this week in the Star. https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...n-toronto-its-an-exhausting-line-of-work.html

The Animal services worker in the article talks about the 347 cats in one home. Also of note was that the calls for animal services doubled from 2014 to 2018, while the budget and staffing remain static.
Yeah. It’s insane.
I believe this is still in effect, but my friend’s boss recently left the job, and my friend is now doing both her job in an acting position, as well as her already insanely busy job as a vet—with zero increase in pay or reduction of duties.

She points out that the city has been hard at work greening neighbourhoods with initiatives like green roofs and improving wildlife habitats along hydro corridors and rail lines. As a result, more wildlife is being drawn into the city, and the results can spell disaster for the animals, according to Karvonen.

Canada geese and ducks don’t understand that a green roof is fraught with perils and not a great place to nest. Problems arise when the eggs hatch and the parents start leading their chicks around in search of water — sometimes walking the chicks off the edge of the building before they know how to fly.

“We are frantically running from rooftop to rooftop each year before the families fall to their deaths,” said Karvonen, adding that the wildlife centre rescued 235 geese and 516 ducks on green roofs and terraces this year.

She says a more comprehensive plan is needed for new green spaces that are likely to attract wildlife.

Wow, unintended consequences of green roofs ?

Back