News   Aug 13, 2024
 413     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 592     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

LOL, let me get this straight.............you want to trade me a crappy councillor; and one whose 'heart' may be in the right place, but is often less than effective...

No, you have it wrong....I want to trade you two crappy councillors. Not sure whose heart is in the right place here except mine. That "seize the means of production" wanker I talked to at my door sure as hell doesn't have his heart in the right place. Not sure he has one, in fact.

...along with a bottle of wine and a hallucinogenic substance; in exchange for a councillor whose cogent, has influence, and reps my area?

What are you saying? It's a bad deal?

Putting aside the logistical problems............you really think I'm that cheap?

No, but I'm that desperate. I mean, my MP's useless as well and I'm not sure my MPP does anything so I'm a bit leaderless and unrepresented here. Maybe if we had PR...oh don't go there, the old codgers will moan!

Do you know how rare it is for me to think well of a politician? Man, I need Bradford in my corner. It could be another decade before I'm impressed again.

A case of this, and we can talk it out......... ?

Best Zin I've had in years..................

Hold up, hold up.......I know I'm middle class and all but the rents are too damn high. I can't afford that. It'll cut into my dinners at Union Station budget.

Hold up, hold up.......I know I'm middle class and all but the rents are too damn high. I can't afford that. It'll cut into my dinners at Union Station budget.

Listen here you indulgent power-seamer buyer! What's a case of good wine between friends..............besides....$755.40; I mean really, last I heard, you're on the freedom 45 plan; this would delay that by a week! LOL

Listen here you indulgent power-seamer buyer! What's a case of good wine between friends..............besides....$755.40; I mean really, last I heard, you're on the freedom 45 plan; this would delay that by a week! LOL

Alright, go on then.

You said you're working with the man on several issues (is that a euphemism for bothering him? :p)....ask him if he's willing to relocate to beautiful Humber Bay.

I can't believe you're using my Freedom 45 plan against me. One case of presumably good Zinfandel, coming up...I'll work on "appropriating" Grimes and Perks later. I'm keeping the fungi for my damn self though with these prices.

I think we could probably all name the 6 councillors (Names not yet on web) but I must say I am surprised at Tory!

I follow Jennifer Pagliaro on Twitter. Found the tweet where she named them. Crawford, Baby Ford, McKelvie, Minnan-Wong and Perruzza. Grimey and Robinson absent.

I follow Jennifer Pagliaro on Twitter. Found the tweet where she named them. Crawford, Baby Ford, McKelvie, Minnan-Wong and Perruzza. Grimey and Robinson absent.
In fairness we should remember that the original decision was unanimously passed by Executive Committee and the vote at Council was to postpone a final Council decision (to allow Jimmy K to lobby, I assume).

Value-Based Outcomes Review is headed to next week's Executive Committee Meeting.

This is the latest, lets find some efficiencies report.

There a few small good items; but its mostly unexciting and amorphous stuff that may or may not produce useful efficiencies over several years.

There are 2 items I quite like; and I one I oppose, listed below.

Yes to:

Alternative business models•Run commercial operations on commercial business principles, for example:consolidate parking functions under the Toronto Parking Authority and charge market rates; provide debt-financing for water infrastructure; more aggressively pursue non-fare and non-rent revenues at TTC and TCHC; pursue a new build strategy at TCHC.•Act as a commercial provider, for example, sell or lease the right to use City assets to host telecom infrastructure

No to:

Move to means testing for universal programs to increase access to services while ensuring those who have the ability to pay do so.

In my experience means-testing is cumbersome for those who have to qualify; they now need tax returns and other paperwork, its rather stigmatizing, software has to be licensed which tracks this information, workers have to process and do data-entry on it; and its really used to reduce benefits or raise prices for services for the general population.

The result is that you end up with a decline in use of recreation centres or childcare by the middle class or the rich, which in turn tends to lead to a deterioration of service quality.

Report here:

Finally a good move from Tory-

First thought- it's clear that he's not running for re-election.

Second thought- laying the groundworks for a vacancy tax would be great as well.

Here's a reminder of where Toronto sits in terms of overall property taxes...

EK9CvvtW4AEb6dS.jpg

No mention if it's residential or corporate. Is there an exemption for multi-residential buildings? If not, he just handed landlords (and subsequently renters) with the excuse to bump up already unaffordable rents by 8%. Renters already pay a higher PSF in indirect property tax than homeowners.

I believe the province froze multi-residential tax rates last year, zero-ing them. I'm unaware of that being lifted, but could stand to be corrected.

The City's cap on general increases requires that the corporate rate rise at 1/2 the single-family rate until reaching the target number of 2.0 times the residential.

I'm uncertain if the City building levy is controlled by that policy.

Rents for rent-controlled apartments are subject to provincial guidelines, which will not be adjusted for the City building levy.

Applying for an Above-guideline increase is plausible, but unlikely.

I say this because the total increase in property tax would have to exceed inflation, and the guideline number in order to be considered; and the process for applications isn't cheap.

Back