News   Aug 13, 2024
 637     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 441     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 653     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

IMO in light of the police refusing to enforce criminal traffic offences, we need an investigation.

Is it a lack of staffing? Shifting assignments? A secondary effect of the decline of the car and emergence of the SUV?

Gut feeling- possible signs from McCormack and the Police Union using this as a warning shot against Sanders?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...falls-to-lowest-level-since-amalgamation.html

I don't know if we need an investigation. This can be pinned squarely on the Chief of Police. Saunders deliberately shut down the task force and has been saying for years that he was taking on a different approach to traffic enforcement. Funny approach that of not enforcing the rules at all.

Meanwhile, concerned citizens like myself had been pointing out for years that the lack of enforcement was breeding a culture of impunity and that it was going to get worse as more and more drivers started realizing that the police were gone and nobody was enforcing the rules. Saunders denied and continued to deny that there was lawlessness on our roads despite data showing the connection between lack of enforcement and pedestrian and cyclist deaths. He ignored the data and lied to the public.

It's plain as day: the chief's plan failed, and his stubbornness to stick with it despite plenty of warning signs that it wasn't working, his neglect resulted in the death of hundreds of people. He has to be fired, plain and simple.

So, who do you want to be mayor? Who do you think could win?

Pick me, but I'm warning you now: I'll put retractable bollards in King Street to mash up cars going straight through and I'll personally demolish--by hand, if need be--the Gardiner. I'll also get rid of the sea of SFHs.

The choice is yours.

IMO Saunders should have already been fired for blaming the gay community for Bruce McArthur, despite the fact the community kept trying to tell the TPD that there was a serial killer and the TPD ignored them. But when you ad this mess on top, he absolutely should be gone. Dozens of people are dying each year because of the police's total neglect to enforce the laws of the road, and someone should be held accountable for that.

As a gay dude who walks everywhere, I'm not sure whether the police care less about pedestrians or gays getting killed ?

So, who do you want to be mayor? Who do you think could win?
Someone with at least an ounce of ambition, and vision, who wants more than just the status-quo.

I guarantee if you asked Torontonians what are 5 major accomplishments Tory has accomplished during his time as mayor, 95% would stuggle immensely naming even 3 accomplishments. I honeslty cant even name more than 3 things that he's done that have had a significant positive impact on this city.

Someone with at least an ounce of ambition, and vision, who wants more than just the status-quo.

Great, look forward to seeing another candidate who doesn't connect with the majority of voters with ridiculous visions losing again.
People don't want some sort of transformative change for the city. If they did, Tory wouldn't be Mayor.

I guarantee if you asked Torontonians what are 5 major accomplishments Tory has accomplished during his time as mayor, 95% would stuggle immensely naming even 3 accomplishments. I honeslty cant even name more than 3 things that he's done that have had a significant positive impact on this city.

Not being Rob Ford counts for at least two accomplishments, let's be real. ?

To be fair though, I can't think of 5 major accomplishments of any of our mayors and I sure as hell am not the only one, so there's that to consider.

In any case, I voted for Kevin Clarke, so don't look at me.

The last election wasn't exactly inspiring. I mean, I got stuck with Perks again on top of Tory and you think you have it bad.

I'll trade you Mark Grimes for Perks, you interested?

Ha, as if. I moved from Mimico to Parkdale just over a year ago. Happy to be rid of Grimes. Came here hopeful that with the election, Perks might be gone in short order.
Failed my dreams....yet again. (Which is what always happens when you let your dreams rely on the actions of others).

I mean, I guess we can trade. What difference does it make what shade of lipstick the pig may wear?
Sure, send him over. *sigh*

?

I hate to say this, but I think Keesmaat would have been a signficantly better mayor at least on the progressive planning front.

I personally wonder who's looking at a run in the next election. Unlike presidencies, there are no obvious frontrunners...

Last edited:
I really wanted to give Tory credit for the King Street pilot (even though it was Keesmaat that initiated it), but then he had to water it down at the last minute with that stupid taxi exemption. So as far as accomplishments and his legacy, the most I can say is that he spent a fuckton of money on the Gardiner expressway, nixed the Reimagine Yonge Street project in North York, and stalled the relief line during his earlier SmartTrack hysterics before ultimately losing control of it to the province.

I hate to say this, but I think Keesmaat would have been a signficantly better mayor at least on the progressive planning front.

I personally wonder who's looking at a run in the next election. Unlike presidencies, there are no obvious frontrunners...

I've long had this weird sixth sense about Brad Bradford being groomed as a successor. I could be wrong, though. (And no, I'm not saying that by way of endorsement.)

I've long had this weird sixth sense about Brad Bradford being groomed as a successor. I could be wrong, though. (And no, I'm not saying that by way of endorsement.)
He's already proven this term to be one of the more competent councillors we've elected in a long time. I share your sentiment, he could receive the Tory endorsement one day.

He's already proven this term to be one of the more competent councillors we've elected in a long time. I share your sentiment, he could receive the Tory endorsement one day.

Brad is my councillor.

A few notes: He bikes everywhere, to everything. He biked from City Hall to the complete streets meeting on the Danforth held at Monarch Park Collegiate @ Coxwell; but I can tell you having met him at any number of other meetings/locations he bikes a lot further than that, and to his home, most nights.

As you might imagine he's rather fit, CN Tower climb in 11:47 (that's minutes/seconds, LOL)

He's very much a policy wonk.

I'm currently working with him (just as a resident) on a number of issues.

My overall impression is positive.

Though its early yet, many issues have yet to come to a head, and I will judge him on results.

He's also got his finger in everything at City Hall; he's on TTC, he's on Budget, he's on Planning and Housing.

My only definite critique so far is that he does tend to gloss over some things when talking to the media/public. Like suggesting the complete streets meeting went well......cough, was there.

It certainly was well attended......

I've also watched him talk to various crowds/mtgs and he can get lost in policy weeds and misdirected (I'll say unintentionally) from where a question from the floor was aimed.

Some of that is good political practise.........still..

Having dealt with him privately, I like him; he can be very plain spoken.

Right then, Amare and I are willing to go 2:1 with you here.

We give you Perks and Grimes and you send us Bradford to share, one week on-off.

I'll throw in a bottle of wine and some fungi.

Right then, Amare and I are willing to go 2:1 with you here.

We give you Perks and Grimes and you send us Bradford to share, one week on-off.

I'll throw in a bottle of wine and some fungi.

LOL, let me get this straight.............you want to trade me a crappy councillor; and one whose 'heart' may be in the right place, but is often less than effective, along with a bottle of wine and a hallucinogenic substance; in exchange for a councillor whose cogent, has influence, and reps my area?

Putting aside the logistical problems............you really think I'm that cheap?

LOL

A case of this, and we can talk it out......... ?

Best Zin I've had in years..................

Back