News   Jul 16, 2024
 269     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 484     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

That tree ranking site is incredibly confusing. Maybe I’m just lazy but I have no idea what they are measuring and how it actively compares. For instance Sydney is ranked second but they state a population density 10x less than Toronto’s over the map coverage. What exactly are we measuring then? What time of the year is it? etc.

That tree ranking site is incredibly confusing. Maybe I’m just lazy but I have no idea what they are measuring and how it actively compares. For instance Sydney is ranked second but they state a population density 10x less than Toronto’s over the map coverage. What exactly are we measuring then? What time of the year is it? etc.

I wonder too.

Well it seems like nobody is paying attention to council anymore. After Doug Ford made it obvious he control council I guess it is fair to not pay attention. But then again I have not seen any outrage in the media over some of councils bad decisions so far. Did the news forget about council?

Well it seems like nobody is paying attention to council anymore. After Doug Ford made it obvious he control council I guess it is fair to not pay attention. But then again I have not seen any outrage in the media over some of councils bad decisions so far. Did the news forget about council?

Yep, I don't pay much attention to council anymore... DoFo made me lose my appetite for it...

New article up at The Star detailing things Council approved funding for (child care, expanded low-income pass for TTC, larger 'open hours strategy' for TPL, etc.), that NOT funded in this year's budget, as proposed.

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...many-things-council-has-already-approved.html

Unreasonable. The City has fiscal room on the operating side to fund these (with a very slightly larger tax increase)

While demanding all city departments and agencies freeze their budgets at 2018 levels, the mayor's office wants a 12.9% increase in 2019 (which it says is related to unavoidable salary & benefit increases).

So I was driving down Richmond Street yesterday at around 2:30 pm. The temperature was okay, not overly cold an not raining or anything like that.
How many people were on the separated bike lanes praised as a success by almost everyone? There was one bike rider from Parliament to University Ave. Meanwhile there was significant delays in car traffic despite the fact that it was a weekend. The staff report claimed that there were 1,640 daily riders at Richmond and Jarvis.

But how could that be if I saw 1 rider in 15 minutes then that is 4 riders in 1 hour or 96 riders in a day. And that is ignoring that there are more riders at 2:30 pm than 2:30 am. I understand it is a weekend in February(even if the weather is above average).
But I think that those explanations cannot explain this big a discrepancy.

This bike lane passed unanimously council last month.
Councilors need to start doing their own research especially if something is too good to be true. Staff are biased either from a political perspective or just a professional one. I mean if you proposed a bike lane wouldn't you want to rig the numbers to make yourself look smart for proposing it. I will be honest if I were in that situation I would do anything in my power to get the lanes approved.
I want to know if anyone messaged the cycle lobbyists informing them of the dates that the studies were done on in order to have people with a vested interest inflating the numbers?
The worst part is not one councilor even asked any questions about the obviously rigged numbers which is just an embarrassment.

I will let everyone know how many cyclists I see today as well just for clarity. But the weather is worse so I expect the number to decrease.

I have been on Richmond and Adelaide many, many times (I used to live near Bathurst and Adelaide) and have always seen numerous cyclists so I think what you witnessed is an anomaly, not the norm. My daughter lives at Richmond and Sherbourne, a busy intersection for cyclists.

So I was driving down Richmond Street yesterday at around 2:30 pm. The temperature was okay, not overly cold an not raining or anything like that.
How many people were on the separated bike lanes praised as a success by almost everyone? There was one bike rider from Parliament to University Ave. Meanwhile there was significant delays in car traffic despite the fact that it was a weekend. The staff report claimed that there were 1,640 daily riders at Richmond and Jarvis.

But how could that be if I saw 1 rider in 15 minutes then that is 4 riders in 1 hour or 96 riders in a day. And that is ignoring that there are more riders at 2:30 pm than 2:30 am. I understand it is a weekend in February(even if the weather is above average).
But I think that those explanations cannot explain this big a discrepancy.

This bike lane passed unanimously council last month.
Councilors need to start doing their own research especially if something is too good to be true. Staff are biased either from a political perspective or just a professional one. I mean if you proposed a bike lane wouldn't you want to rig the numbers to make yourself look smart for proposing it. I will be honest if I were in that situation I would do anything in my power to get the lanes approved.
I want to know if anyone messaged the cycle lobbyists informing them of the dates that the studies were done on in order to have people with a vested interest inflating the numbers?
The worst part is not one councilor even asked any questions about the obviously rigged numbers which is just an embarrassment.

I will let everyone know how many cyclists I see today as well just for clarity. But the weather is worse so I expect the number to decrease.
Somehow, one car lane must be taken away and given to bikes from May to October. Both directions of bike traffic are on this lane, and its separated by planters of some sorts.
Come winter, the lane reverts back to cars. You can play it by ear and maybe give April and November to the bikes. The 1 or 2 bikes who want to take advantage of the 1 or 2 nice days and ride their bikes in winter - can do it in mixed traffic, as they likely have to at some point in their trip anyway.

I have been on Richmond and Adelaide many, many times (I used to live near Bathurst and Adelaide) and have always seen numerous cyclists so I think what you witnessed is an anomaly, not the norm. My daughter lives at Richmond and Sherbourne, a busy intersection for cyclists.
Trust me I understand that there would be more bike traffic on either days. I just really think that the study was done in a biased fashion much like the study that claimed that the city only lost 20 million due to fair evasion. Not even councilors like Michael Ford of Stephen Holyday questioned staff on this. It was an embarrassing display.

I also believe the woodbine bikelanes stats are inflated as well. I barely saw anyone ride on them when I worked in the area.

Somehow, one car lane must be taken away and given to bikes from May to October. Both directions of bike traffic are on this lane, and its separated by planters of some sorts.
Come winter, the lane reverts back to cars. You can play it by ear and maybe give April and November to the bikes. The 1 or 2 bikes who want to take advantage of the 1 or 2 nice days and ride their bikes in winter - can do it in mixed traffic, as they likely have to at some point in their trip anyway.
That would make way too much sense though.

I lived in an area that had part-time bike lanes. It's a clusterf**k, because people forget that they are there after driving in them. Full time lanes work best. And cycling is a valid and important means of transportation, not a part-time activity. Yes, more people bike in the warmer weather, but many winters are not like the current one and biking is quite possible year-round. We need a culture shift.

I lived in an area that had part-time bike lanes. It's a clusterf**k, because people forget that they are there after driving in them. Full time lanes work best. And cycling is a valid and important means of transportation, not a part-time activity. Yes, more people bike in the warmer weather, but many winters are not like the current one and biking is quite possible year-round. We need a culture shift.

December 2018 was a fine month for biking. :)

Back